Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: So Be Warned!

Real Name
    John

So Be Warned!

Another article that might be of interest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-photo.html

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: So Be Warned!

Mankind idiotic behavior is unfathomable.

Real Name
    John

I wouldn't turn my back on a kitten much less an elk.

Real Name
    Richard

Every year in our Mountain West, there are people who are gored or trampled by elk. They are beautiful deer-like creatures but can do quite a bit of harm. A Rocky Mountain cow elk will weigh about 500 pounds (225 kg.) while a bull elk will tip the scales at 700 pounds (315 kg.) those are sizable animals especially when mamma elk is protecting her calf or when the bull is in the rutting season and suspects you as an amorous competitor.

Last time I was in Estes Park, Colorado (gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park) there were elk wandering around all over the town. These animals had lost their inherent fear of humans. One older lady was gardening in her un-fenced backyard when she somehow got between a cow elk and her calf. Bad move! The lady was trampled to death...

I made a photo hike with my son and a small Labrador puppy (which I carried in my backpack) during rutting season in Gila Wilderness of New Mexico. I was experimenting with an elk bugle one evening, hoping to call an elk the next day for photos. Although there were several replies off in the distance no elk came close. EXCEPT, it the middle of the night an elk started to bugle right outside our small tent. That is a chilling sound! Luckily nothing came of it. I certainly did not use the elk horn that night and used it very sparingly the next day. I did not want to cross paths with an amorous bull elk!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 30th September 2015 at 08:51 PM.