Thread: Universal Caster Wheel For Light Stands&Studio Boom. Anyone Tried Them?

Real Name
    Russell

Universal Caster Wheel For Light Stands&Studio Boom. Anyone Tried Them?

Hi, As I already have 4 light stands really do not want to buy more so looking at a way make at least one stand portable (On Wheels) and found on a certain auction site 'Universal Caster Wheels For Light Stands & Studio Booms'.
    At around £23.39 (Not sure about the 39P) they seem a good option but anyone here tried them please?
    Thanks.
    Russ

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Universal Caster Wheel For Light Stands&Studio Boom. Anyone Tried Them?

I made several a triangles out of 1-inch (~25mm) x 3-inch (~75mm) wood with the length calculated for the spread of my light stand legs. At each point of the tripod, I fastened a flange
    the feet of the light stand fit into these flanges which kept the feet from sliding off the triangle. Then I used some old left-over furniture casters at each point of the triangle on the side underneath the flange..

This made a very viable, but not very portable, roll-around base for the light stand. But, they didn't cost me anything since I constructed them all from excess pieces (I tend not to throw away things like casters and connectors after dissembling equipment or furniture).

I didn't do this but, you could make the setup more secure with an eye bolt (or screw) near the flange and using some small bungee wrapped around the lightstand leg,

However, if I had seen inexpensive caster sets like these http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...s&_sacat=88667, I would not have bothered to fabricate anything!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 26th September 2015 at 03:48 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I had casters for a couple of my light stands and ended up removing them. They made the light stand a touch less stable and I found I couldn't position them as precisely with casters (they moved and turned a bit). The only light stand I actually use with casters is my boom stand. Here the darn thing is so heavy with a softbox on it, the casters actually help.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I made several a triangles out of 1-inch (~25mm) x 3-inch (~75mm) wood with the length calculated for the spread of my light stand legs. At each point of the tripod, I fastened a flange
    the feet of the light stand fit into these flanges which kept the feet from sliding off the triangle. Then I used some old left-over furniture casters at each point of the triangle on the side underneath the flange..

This made a very viable, but not very portable, roll-around base for the light stand. But, they didn't cost me anything since I constructed them all from excess pieces (I tend not to throw away things like casters and connectors after dissembling equipment or furniture).

I didn't do this but, you could make the setup more secure with an eye bolt (or screw) near the flange and using some small bungee wrapped around the lightstand leg,

However, if I had seen inexpensive caster sets like these http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...s&_sacat=88667, I would not have bothered to fabricate anything!
    Hi, Thank You for the reply. The link is what I was talking about in the OP ' found on a certain auction site' they look OK. Russ