Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flower power

Flower power

Isn't summer great?

All shot with Canon 50D and Sigma 105mm macro. All shot this afternoon. #1 and #3 were shot indoors with studio light. #2 in the garden with natural light.

Here's a slideshow of my botanic shots on Flickr - pour yourself a glass of chilled Chardonnay, get your partner to ease those aching muscles in the back of your neck (from your camera strap), and then... well, you might not want to look at flower shots by then... http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...10464833/show/

No idea what it is...
    Flower power

White Foxglove
    Flower power

Cacti in flower (from the greenhouse)
    Flower power

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Flower power

Beautiful, Rob. I like the first, whatever it is: those multiple loopy things are neat. Is it my imagination, or are the 1st and 3rd a little noisy? In the 1st, I see it in the background, in the 3rd I see it on the petals, but maybe it's the texture. Very minor, anyway.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Is it my imagination, or are the 1st and 3rd a little noisy? In the 1st, I see it in the background, in the 3rd I see it on the petals, but maybe it's the texture. Very minor, anyway.
    I don't think it's noise. The shots were done with ISO100 and studio lights. In #1 the background is a pice of baking paper stretched over a mount frame. I think the slightly mottled texture of the paper may look like noise. In shot #3 I think it's just the texture of the petals. I also find red is a tricky colour to shoot with flowers.

Real Name
    Rick

Makes sense: I don't expect you'd have noise from your system in those circumstances, so it must just be textures in real life that looks like noise.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Kay

I love #2 - the white and green and then jade green background just really appeals - you get a real sense of 'just wait there that last bud will open'
    I like only white flowers and varying shades of green in my garden - sad I know - signs of an anal-retentive personality I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    ,,,it must just be textures in real life that looks like noise.

I find I get that in other conditions too. Haziness in the atmosphere can often look like noise with a landscape shot.

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I love #2 - the white and green and then jade green background just really appeals
    The jade green background is actually a shed door painted green! Still, it makes a nice backdrop.