Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: new version of Phocus

Real Name
    Hans

new version of Phocus

If anyons is interested in a good RAW converter here the link for Phocus
    It's for free and believe it or not is from Hasselblad.
    The only thing you have to do is register yourself.
    I installed it and found some very nice features in there like local colour adjustments.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: new version of Phocus

Could be great but my system only meets its minimum standards; and I got a warning from windows of potential instability. So I think I will leave it to those with supersystems, I've got a quad but only 2GB memory and 512MB graphics card with only 8 processors. In the recent past that was good.

I've also failed to meet their exacting standards. And my computer hasn't done any better either!

My photo editing computer has sufficient power but isn't directly connected to the internet (for safety) and is running with Windows Net 2.0 while this software requires Net 3.5.

Don't even think about asking me what this means!

But whatever it does, I need to update my Net and I have to be directly connected to the web to download it. Transferring through a memory stick doesn't work.

I had the same problem when attempting to download DXO which was recommended by Donald.

Is there any alternatives?

At the moment, it looks like I am still at the mercy of the temperamental Raw Therapee. In all fairness, I like version RT3, if only it was stable and didn't keep throwing a 'wobbly'.

I wonder if I could give it Evening Primrose Oil?

If you're trying to install the .NET framework on an offline computer, you need to download the offline installer. This is a fairly hefty download (almost 200MB) and the direct link to the download is here. http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

That should get you sorted with respect to Phocus and DXO.

Real Name
    David

Hi - I think that the Windows version works only for Hasselblad RAW files. Only the MAC version will run with third party RAW data. This is not clear from the Hasselblad site. Thus, if you are using Windows and wish to try this with Canon or NIkon files forget it.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Hans

I don't know about Windows but on my mac it works with the CR2 files from canon.
    Also no warnings about instability. Can be that it's not well supported under windows.
    From the other hand if your original RAW files are not recognized, you can give it a try to convert them to DNG.
    Maybe it works in this way under windows also.

If you're trying to install the .NET framework on an offline computer, you need to download the offline installer.

That could be Sir Humphrey Appleby talking!

But in reality, I managed to download and transfer the update with a memory stick; so thanks for the link.

However, I'm still no further forward. Phocus certainly won't work for me, using Windows, and DxO still insists that it must connect to the internet. I might try to install it on my internet computer to try to work out what is the problem.

Also, I have found a website which is listing comparisons of various RAW converters http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/rawco...converters.htm

So far, I haven't fully read everything there or compared prices. And since threatening to get another programme I appear to have RT sufficiently worried that it is behaving itself, at least temporally!

Prime minister, you have not factored in DXO's desire to phone home everytime you launch it. That would be why it requires an internet connection.

But it is the free trial that I'm attempting to install so the full 'paid up' version may work differently. And the .Net framework update did need doing anyway.

However, once (if ever) I get a bit more time I will look deeper into this subject. But currently, I am uploading photos at twice the rate of processing, over 60 on an average day; and a lot of them are insects which also need to be identified and recorded.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 28th June 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Steve

Yep well I'm setting a restore point here. If you don't see me again you know why.

Real Name
    Steve

It does not work even a little bit