Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Puppy Pile

Real Name
    Richard

Puppy Pile

A litter of four two-day old Maltese rescue puppies. We didn't expect the little guy on top. He was so small that the vet missed him in the X-ray before he was born. He was so tiny that we weren't sure that he was going to make it. However, the little guy is a fighter and he seems to be doing fine. He weighs about 113 grams while his siblings weigh in around 170 grams. Yet he has a full belly and seems to be doing quite well.

Puppy Pile

Puppy Pile

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Puppy Pile

That epitomizes the expression ... TOP DOG!

Pops

Real Name
    David

This thread ought to run and run with regular updates. They are absolutely gorgeous! Are you going to have a naming competition? If so the little fellow should be called "kap", which is Maltese for top dog (if the Google translator is to be believed).

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Cute critters...I'm glad it wasn't the "puppy pile" I expected to see.

Chuck

Real Name
    Rick

Boy, that could be a poster, titled HAPPINESS. Too cute, and a great shot.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This thread ought to run and run with regular updates.
    Indeed. We should be expecting a lifestory book to made.

Real Name
    Richard

The puppies are lucky in that they will be socialized at a young age and will come to know that humans mean love. That was not the case with the four older females we are fostering.

It's been hard on the four adult females to live in a new environment. They have lived their lives in cages and it must be pretty scary to have the run of a house with other dogs and people around. They also have not had any human contact. We refused to let the famales live their lives away from contact. One of the older dogs would hide with her face in a corner. but I have her and the other mom who has weaned her pups on a strict regimen.

Every time I go near them, I have a treat to offer them and I call their name They are getting to the point where they follow me for the treats. I can even pick them up to pet them - sometimes... Socializing dogs who have grown up without human interaction in their lives is a slow process but, every little success is rewarding as heck! Every day there is some little reward which makes all of this worthwhile.

My sixty-five pound Goldendoodle, Holly, has won over the youngest of the four females and they are now friends...

Puppy Pile
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th July 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Richard, you do great things with the rescue dogs. Friends of ours have taken in a mini poodle who was badly treated for his first two years or so. When they got him, he would cower and piddle when-ever anyone approached him, particularly men. He was very hesitant to be touched at all and would stand shivering uncontrollably, and do that shrinking back thing. But now, he runs to see us when we arrive and wants petting and cuddles. Is still very nervy though and sudden noises set him off.

Real Name
    Richard

Here is a picture of one of the older male puppies that I sent to a prospective adoptive parent. He is as cute as the dickens and has a great, outgoing personality. When dogs leave our home, they are either totally people oriented or well on their way towards people orientation and, in that case, they will be going to forever homes where there are people that know how to provide care for dogs who have been abused or neglected. BTW: One puppy has been spoken for already and we haven't advertised them on www.petfinder.com yet.

Puppy Pile
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th July 2010 at 09:41 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

The puppies are just two weeks old and right on schedule, they are beginning to move around, their eyes are opening and their litle noses are starting to turn black. The smallest puppy is in the center of this group caught on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6elRH-a3ec

Real Name
    Myra

LOVE this thread. Richard, maybe you and the rescue association could work together to produce a little book for a fund raiser or for public relations? You've done an amazing job of capturing all the little moments and expressions. The picture with Holly and her new friend speaks volumes!

Myra

Real Name
    Richard

The puppies are 17 days old and are up and about. Their eyes are open and their noses are getting black. They graduated from the smaller crate when they outgrew it. The smallest pup is on the far right. Mom is very-very protective.

Puppy Pile

Puppy Pile

Real Name
    Richard

Puppies grow bigger with each passing day. We are feeding the mom three times the amount of food we would normally feed a Maltese. She gets kibble, beef and cheese as well as enormous quantities of water to make the milk for her babies. The pups are 18 days old today...

Puppy Pile