Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Quest for a mirrorless for an amateur ugrading from point-and-shoot and iPhone

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Except

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    There must be many amateur/hobbyist photographers who mainly shoot things that don't rapidly change position.
    Let me gently disagree, Philip.

Most amateurs, especially as they are starting off in photography seem to explore many facets of photography and tend to shoot just about anything before they start "specializing", so having a well rounded camera that does most common things well is probably most important in that phase of their "development". I would say fast accurate focusing would be high on most lists.

Camera manufacturers, especially in the lower to mid-range models have assumed that people will pretty well solely rely on autofocus. Modern amateur lenses have a very short focus throw so even with focus assist and peaking functionality, these lenses can make manual focus extremely tricky. I'm always amazed how much more quickly and accurately I can focus my old DSLR versus my modern "pro" camera and lenses when I work manually.

Real Name
    Kathy

...There must be many amateur/hobbyist photographers who mainly shoot things that don't rapidly change position. ...
    True. Only most of them want to take snapshots of the kids/grandkids running around ... Tracking AF isn't just for sports and wildlife. Comes in handy with the rugrats, too.

Real Name
    Richard Ernest Demaray

Re: Quest for a mirrorless for an amateur ugrading from point-and-shoot and iPhone

Hi Mario,

I was able today to finally upload our pictures of Porto to PS Cloud. It was great seeing your wonderful city and reliving some great times. I'm just starting out in the post-processing area so I'll see what I can do! LOL As a display professional, it is so cool to be able to work and share my own pictures with the great post-production tools that are available today.

In case you haven't seen this already, here is a review by Maartin Heilborn, IMHO one of the best camera reviewers with his recent review of the Fuji X-T10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XzniBPdBrY

Best of luck,

etfide-vivo

Real Name
    Philip

Manfred and Kathy - thank you for your comments.

In practice Manfred, I have found no problem with the focusing aids on a Sony A6000 working very well, whether using a 30+ year-old lens or a modern AF digital age lens, for manually focusing on a static subject. The kit zoom lens that comes with this camera is fine for the scenario you describe Kathy so, as I wrote in my previously posted comment:

The focus "problem" is easily solved - in those cases where rapid autofocus is required, and the A6000 is one of the quickest, just swap back to a Sony lens.
    The main point is that, if one buys into a new system, it is not always necessary to ditch the lenses of a different system.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

for manually focusing on a static subject.
    Agreed, but that depends on the camera. I use my Nikkor and Leica-R lenses on my Panasonic cameras for video work. I shoot most of my video using a video tripod, so the setup is slow and deliberate. Other that perhaps aperture and focus setuo, I shoot 100% on manual, so the lack of integration of the lenses have no impact.

My Nikon and Leica lenses are fast and I have more extreme focal lengths available, so for extreme wide angle, extreme magnification or low light situations, they do offer me an advantage.

I guess for my still work, I don't see any advantage is using the older lenses (as I have all of the focal lengths covered with my newer lenses). While I have no issues in shooting manually and do so when necessary, I find that the lack of integration with the camera is not something that suits my shooting style.

The kit Nikkors are terrible when it comes to manual focus and I have played around enough with them to know I would never use them for manual focus purposes.

Real Name
    Mario

Thank you all for your opinions and valuable insight.

It has helped me immensely, but reading about other peoples experiences only goes so far - as some of you have already stated.
    So I had to GET a camera, to try out a system/camera and only then will I know if I made the right choice.

As I found a co-worker (animation and 3D guy) who has a Sony Alpha DSLR and another newly arrived (video guy) who has a Canon, together why my 3x Nikon owning friend, I am now surrounded by DSLR crowd, so.. you guessed it!

I was convinced to get one, but I went to the cheapest, but usable one I could find new, so if I don't like it, then I won't regret spending a lot of money on it.

I got a Nikon D5100 in a sale from a local store, I know it's 3-year old, but the newer models don't seem to have such a big edge over it, and for 399euro (w/ kit lens) it was almost half the price of the latest D5500.
    I will try it and if I don't like it, sell it, with what I saved from a more expensive model, I can get something else.

Should arrive today or something, can't wait!

Thanks
    Mario

Real Name
    Philip

I can't imagine you not liking your new camera, Mario, but please do not just "try it". A long-term (several months) trial is what I would advise, so that you get to know the camera really well. Take lots of pictures of anything and everything, so that you learn and master full control of all its features. You are then much more likely to get to know and understand any short-comings it might have, and you will have a much clearer knowledge of what to look for when you come to upgrade.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Mario

I can't imagine you not liking your new camera, Mario, but please do not just "try it". A long-term (several months) trial is what I would advise, so that you get to know the camera really well. Take lots of pictures of anything and everything, so that you learn and master full control of all its features. You are then much more likely to get to know and understand any short-comings it might have, and you will have a much clearer knowledge of what to look for when you come to upgrade.

Cheers.
    Philip
    Hi Philip
    You're spot on! I think it will take me at least a full year to really get to know this camera. Use it in all situations, with all kinds of light, from bright summer days to early winter sunsets.
    It will be fun, I'm sure.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mariosprt View Post

It has helped me immensely, but reading about other peoples experiences only goes so far - as some of you have already stated.
    So I had to GET a camera, to try out a system/camera and only then will I know if I made the right choice.

As I found a co-worker (animation and 3D guy) who has a Sony Alpha DSLR and another newly arrived (video guy) who has a Canon, together why my 3x Nikon owning friend, I am now surrounded by DSLR crowd, so.. you guessed it!

I was convinced to get one, but I went to the cheapest, but usable one I could find new, so if I don't like it, then I won't regret spending a lot of money on it.

I got a Nikon D5100 in a sale from a local store, I know it's 3-year old, but the newer models don't seem to have such a big edge over it, and for 399euro (w/ kit lens) it was almost half the price of the latest D5500.
    I will try it and if I don't like it, sell it, with what I saved from a more expensive model, I can get something else.

Thanks
    Mario
    Enjoy your new camera, Mario.

Lots of practice and learning about your new piece of equipment should keep you busy. Now is the chance for you to meld your experiences with your old camera with the functionality of your new one. These both take time and practice.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mariosprt View Post

Thanks
    Mario
    Enjoy your new camera, Mario.

Lots of practice and learning about your new piece of equipment should keep you busy. Now is the chance for you to meld your experiences with your old camera with the functionality of your new one. These both take time and practice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234