Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Used gear at Adorama

Used gear at Adorama

Hi guys,
    a question to the New Yorkers: Are the Adorama used gears on sale on the web actually and physically present in the New York store?
    I'm going to visit NYC this October and it seems that the Adorama used department has some pieces that B&H has not. I'd possibly check them before buying in the store.
    Thanks a lot.

have a good WE
    Nicola

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Used gear at Adorama

Your best bet is to simply contact Adorama using email or live chat and ask them about particular products you're interested in. Keep in mind, of course, that a used item available today may not be available in October when you visit the store.

As for checking used products before buying them, consider the following policy about their used items: "To ensure your satisfaction, any used equipment can be returned within 30 days of purchase, no questions asked!"

I realize that your shipping costs to Italy might be prohibitive, so I'm not attempting to address that issue.

Real Name
    Dan

I'd contact them and ask, but I doubt that all of it is in their store.

Of course, Mike is right: used gear is whatever they have at the moment, and a day from now, you might find that it is available from B&H or KEH and not Adorama. However, both Adorama and B&H have excellent customer service, so you should just ask them.

I have only purchased from Adorama on the web, but I did go the B&H store once, and it is an experience not to be missed. It is enormous and has an amazing variety of goods. I suspect Adorama is similar. They are not in the same neighborhood, but they are not all that far apart. Both are closed on Saturdays for the Sabbath, and B&H closes early on Fridays for the same reason.

Real Name
    Richard

There are positives and negatives about buying used gear from a commercial outlet such as B&H, Adorama or KEH.

The positives are that all three are very reputable and the purchase is quite easy.

The negative is that they are in business to make money and the prices are often not as low as purchasing from a private party.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The other positive is that they often have the gear immediately available that can take forever to find when buying from a private party.

Real Name
    Richard

AND... often refurbished items are at or very close to the prices charged by commercial resellers of used items.

I just purchased another refurb item from Canon. A small video camera for my wife. As with all of my Canon refurb purchases, it works perfectly.

Real Name
    Dan

Adorama also sells some Canon refurbs (refurbished by Canon), although availability is spotty. I bought my refurbed 24-105 from them when they had a sale. I bought one of my two bodies as a refurb directly from Canon, during one of their sales. Both were like new, except that the lens hood had a slight mark in one place. The camera was indistinguishable from new, except that Canon uses a different box for refurbs.

Thanks to all!
    Of course just the day before leaving I'll check the availability of the gears and, as you suggested, I'll ask directly Adorama Staff if in stock at the NYC store.
    I'll be in NYC for few days visiting the city and testing the equipment, I hope the possible failure happens in that period, otherwise the shipping fees from Itlay are prohibitive!
    I was aware that B&h is closed on saturday, but I'm rather surprised of Adorama. Is a matter of religion? Keeping open that day they could gain all the uninformed possible Saturday customers of B&H .

Thanks again for the feedback
    Nicola

Real Name
    Helen Oster

Hi Nicola

Not all of the used gear is physically stocked in NY. The best thing is if you contacts us a few days before you want to be in the store and place the item on hold, and we can have it transferred to the NY store from our warehouse in New Jersey.

Adorama is indeed also closed on Saturdays; Adorama's owner is an observant Jewish gentleman, which means that we also close early on Fridays and certain notable Jewish holidays thru the year.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Hi Nicola

Not all of the used gear is physically stocked in NY. The best thing is if you contacts us a few days before you want to be in the store and place the item on hold, and we can have it transferred to the NY store from our warehouse in New Jersey.

Adorama is indeed also closed on Saturdays; Adorama's owner is an observant Jewish gentleman, which means that we also close early on Fridays and certain notable Jewish holidays thru the year.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    helen@adorama.com
    Thank you very much Helen,
    That's what I'll do!

have a good day

Nicola

Real Name
    Helen Oster

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Thank you very much Helen,
    That's what I'll do!

have a good day

Nicola
    BTW if you need any help with this, you are most welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com

Real Name
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Hi guys,
    a question to the New Yorkers: Are the Adorama used gears on sale on the web actually and physically present in the New York store?
    I'm going to visit NYC this October and it seems that the Adorama used department has some pieces that B&H has not. I'd possibly check them before buying in the store.
    Thanks a lot.

have a good WE
    Nicola
    Both stores will be closed from September 28 through October 6, inclusive, for holidays.