Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Noritake Gardens

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Noritake Gardens

The Noritake Gardens are on the grounds of the original Noritake ceramics factory that was founded in the Noritake area of Nagoya, Japan.

Noritake Gardens

When the old factory was shut down, the grounds (which still belong to the company) were turned into a public garden, and some of the old manufacturing buildings still remain.

Real Name
    André

Re: Noritake Gardens

Hi Manfred,
    I have been enjoying your photos from Japan. I must admit though that I don't understand this one. I can see that it is technically very good and that the composition is somewhat pleasant but I don't know what you saw in there that made you decide to take this photo. I am still very much developing my "photographer eye" and would really appreciate if you could provide some of your thought processes behind taking this shot.

Andre

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Hi Manfred,
    I have been enjoying your photos from Japan. I must admit though that I don't understand this one. I can see that it is technically very good and that the composition is somewhat pleasant but I don't know what you saw in there that made you decide to take this photo. I am still very much developing my "photographer eye" and would really appreciate if you could provide some of your thought processes behind taking this shot.

Andre
    What struck me about this whole area was the re-purposing of an old brownfield industrial site and turning it into a beautiful modern public space. I found the contrast between the old red clay brick buildings (early 1900's) and the modern table with umbrella an interesting juxtaposition of different uses. Green grass, bushes and plants growing up the sides of the building just don't fit into a dirty, smoky industrial setting.

I guess I've spent enough time in old industrial facilities for this contrast to strike me. This is what I am trying to show with this image.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th August 2015 at 01:42 PM.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    What struck me about this whole area was the re-purposing of an old brownfield industrial site and turning it into a beautiful modern public space. I found the contrast between the old red clay brick buildings (early 1900's) and the modern table with umbrella an interesting juxtaposition of different uses. Green grass, bushes and plants growing up the sides of the building just don't fit into a dirty, smoky industrial setting.

I guess I've spent enough time in old industrial facilities for this contrast to strike me. This is what I am trying to show with this image.
    Thank you Manfred. Your explanation helps in understanding your shot. I must confess that I have difficulties seeing the beauty in the modern place. Had the grass been a flower garden or a rock garden then it would be different. As they say: beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Andre

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image Manfred I would crop the image from the top just a bit to eliminate the chimneys(?), then the focus would be more on the garden and the old buildings . But you migth like to leave the image as is since the chimneys are parts of the industrial environment although they are a bit distracting.

Real Name
    John

I find this interesting Manfred in that without your description, I would have seen the industrial buildings as typical of an equivalent UK site - red brick and all.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the rich colors produced by the moisture from the previous rainfall. I would probably crop at the roof line to eliminate the grey wall (or is it the sky?) beyond the rear building.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    I would crop the image from the top just a bit to eliminate the chimneys(?), then the focus would be more on the garden and the old buildings . But you migth like to leave the image as is since the chimneys are parts of the industrial environment although they are a bit distracting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the rich colors produced by the moisture from the previous rainfall. I would probably crop at the roof line to eliminate the grey wall (or is it the sky?) beyond the rear building.
    That was my original approach. I tried a number of crops where I eliminated the sky and the chimneys, but found that the whole scene closed in too much, which is why I cropped the way I did. It just opens the whole shot up a bit.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great thing!!!