Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some computer monitor information/advice . . . . PLEASE :)

Real Name
    Kathy

I need some computer monitor information/advice . . . . PLEASE :)

I am looking for a monitor that I can hook up to my HP 2000 laptop, something of good quality but affordable. I found this one at B&H, but before I order it I want to make sure I would be able to hook it up to my laptop. Any information would be helpful. Thank you so much.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...creen_led.html

Kathy

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: I need some computer monitor information/advice . . . . PLEASE :)

Kathy I would assume that your computer has an HDMI output and this one has two such ports for import then you should have not problem. Please look at your computer to see output devices, I believe that you do have one, but better check first. As for if it is a good quality device I will leave that up to others.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Kathy I would assume that your computer has an HDMI output and this one has two such ports for import then you should have not problem. Please look at your computer to see output devices, I believe that you do have one, but better check first. As for if it is a good quality device I will leave that up to others.

Cheers: Allan
    Thank you Allan, It does have an HDMI output (occasionally I hook my laptop up to my big screen tv to view movies, I am guessing that would be the same hook up for this monitor.) Editing photos on my lap top monitor is really hard to do, I feel like I am improving at this trade and should have something a little better than my laptop monitor to use.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Kathy

I'm no expert on monitor technology but the thing that strikes me about the monitor you are looking at is that it is an ultra wide monitor that has an aspect ratio of 21:9. I would say that most people these days would be using normal widescreen format monitors ie those with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and pixel dimensions of 1920x1080.

The ultra wide might be useful if you were doing a lot of panoramas or if you want to display two or three windows side by side but for normal photographic use, the ultra wide aspect ratio is a quite a mismatch with photo formats, the default for DSLR's being 3:2.

Dave

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Kathy

I'm no expert on monitor technology but the thing that strikes me about the monitor you are looking at is that it is an ultra wide monitor that has an aspect ratio of 21:9. I would say that most people these days would be using normal widescreen format monitors ie those with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and pixel dimensions of 1920x1080.

The ultra wide might be useful if you were doing a lot of panoramas or if you want to display two or three windows side by side but for normal photographic use, the ultra wide aspect ratio is a quite a mismatch with photo formats, the default for DSLR's being 3:2.

Dave
    Dave,
    Thank you for your feedback, I had wondered the same thing. If I used this monitor for photo editing, it wouldn't stretch the photo clear across the screen would it, the photo would keep it's size right? I am not very tech savvy at all, that is why I am asking the advice of others. this monitor caught my eye because of the positive reviews on B&H and the price. Thank you again.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Dave,
    Thank you for your feedback, I had wondered the same thing. If I used this monitor for photo editing, it wouldn't stretch the photo clear across the screen would it, the photo would keep it's size right? I am not very tech savvy at all, that is why I am asking the advice of others. this monitor caught my eye because of the positive reviews on B&H and the price. Thank you again.
    No Kathy it won't stretch the image in one direction which means for a 3:2 image you will only be using part of the screen.

Dave

Real Name
    Kathy

No Kathy it won't stretch the image in one direction which means for a 3:2 image you will only be using part of the screen.

Dave
    That is what I thought, but as you said it would be a quite large screen -- so confused.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Kathy,

I would recommend you consider a 'normal' widescreen rather than ultra wide. 25 inch refers to the diagonal measurement across the screen so you would get a more 'usable' working space from a 24/25 inch screen with a 16:9 format.

Also keep in mind taht once you attach an external monitor you effectively have a 'dual' monitor system. This would allow you to work separately on both the Laptop screen and the external device.

Depending on the processing software you use you can place processing controls on one monitor (laptop?) and display images on the larger monitor.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Kathy,

I would recommend you consider a 'normal' widescreen rather than ultra wide. 25 inch refers to the diagonal measurement across the screen so you would get a more 'usable' working space from a 24/25 inch screen with a 16:9 format.

Also keep in mind taht once you attach an external monitor you effectively have a 'dual' monitor system. This would allow you to work separately on both the Laptop screen and the external device.

Depending on the processing software you use you can place processing controls on one monitor (laptop?) and display images on the larger monitor.
    James,
    Thank you so much for your feedback, I work with a dual screen at work and love it. To make sure I understand you correctly you would recommend me going with a smaller monitor that the one that I am looking at purchasing.

Real Name
    George

That is what I thought, but as you said it would be a quite large screen -- so confused.
    I just bought a new screen, 27" , 16:9.I love it. My working windows next to my editing window.
    Comparing images in different window is much easier. Viewing pano's is much more comfortable.
    I don't know the screen you're looking for. I wanted an IPS screen and a resolution of around 100. The size you get used to.

George

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I just bought a new screen, 27" , 16:9.I love it. My working windows next to my editing window.
    Comparing images in different window is much easier. Viewing pano's is much more comfortable.
    I don't know the screen you're looking for. I wanted an IPS screen and a resolution of around 100. The size you get used to.

George
    George,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. The monitor that I am looking is this one:

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Kathy,

I couldn't determine whether that monitor has a shiny reflective screen or not - I personally would only recommend a matte surface screen for photo work - but perhaps that says more about me being scared of seeing my own reflection

I have a 23 inch diagonal Viewsonic IPS screen model, which is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

BTW - you should get an "IPS" type - they have less sensitive viewing angles than most laptop screens.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

To make sure I understand you correctly you would recommend me going with a smaller monitor that the one that I am looking at purchasing.
    Kathy, not quite, I was making the point that because of the geometry, your ultra wide 25 inch screen is not going to have as much height as a more conventional? 16:9 widescreen of 23/24 inches.

I have a desktop PC with two 16:9 widescreens, both 24 inches in size with one dedicated for imaging. I could have gone for a 27 inch and a 24 inch screen but the layout of my working area is more efficient with the two smaller monitors.

I can only guess at how you are laying out your setup, but I guess it might be a monitor mounted over the laptop.
    If this is the case I would be considering a larger screen.

I don't know if this helps, but I print up to A3+ so I am comfortable with a monitor that approximates to this print size.
    Other members of this forum much prefer larger screens, so it is more, personal preference and budget, which dictates how large you go.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Kathy,

I couldn't determine whether that monitor has a shiny reflective screen or not - I personally would only recommend a matte surface screen for photo work - but perhaps that says more about me being scared of seeing my own reflection

I have a 23 inch diagonal Viewsonic IPS screen model, which is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

BTW - you should get an "IPS" type - they have less sensitive viewing angles than most laptop screens.

HTH, Dave
    Dave,
    Thank you so much for your feedback, the one thing I did learn from doing some research is the IPS is a must. I would definitely like a matt screen, the specs say that it is an anti-glare screen hopefully that means the same thing as matt . . .

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Try to see if you laptop is capable of using two monitors first...I have no experience in using my laptop with a wide screen nor non-wide screen though my son recommended that I hook up to one of his 27" screen on it when I was staying with them; but my main desktop upstairs is capable of multiple screens so I asking if you can check first instead of buying a monitor first...

Real Name
    George

George,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. The monitor that I am looking is this one:
    Your screen is an ISP screen, is 16:9, covers the RGB gamut and has a resolution of 111. Good specs I would say.The link only says it's second hand. I peronally wouldn't do that.

George

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Your screen is an ISP screen, is 16:9, covers the RGB gamut and has a resolution of 111. Good specs I would say.The link only says it's second hand. I peronally wouldn't do that.

George
    George the monitor in the link is an ultra wide with an aspect ratio of 21:9.

Dave

Real Name
    George

George the monitor in the link is an ultra wide with an aspect ratio of 21:9.

Dave
    You're right. And where I mentioned 16:9 I meant 21:9, also with my monitor.

George

Real Name
    Kathy

George
    George,
    Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately I really can't afford a new monitor at this time, buying second hand is always a risk, I only buy second hand from BH and have always had good luck with them so hopefully that would hold true here also.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Try to see if you laptop is capable of using two monitors first...I have no experience in using my laptop with a wide screen nor non-wide screen though my son recommended that I hook up to one of his 27" screen on it when I was staying with them; but my main desktop upstairs is capable of multiple screens so I asking if you can check first instead of buying a monitor first...
    Thank you for your feed back, very good advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast