Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Paper Comparing Color Conversion to Grayscale Methods

Real Name
    Ted

Paper Comparing Color Conversion to Grayscale Methods

Yesterday I became interested as to the "best" method, naively thinking, for example, that CIE Y might be "better" than average-the-RGB-colors-for-a-pixel-and-set-them-all-to-that-number.

As in all things photographical, it ain't that simple of course

So, for those seriously interested in so-called Black&White images here's quite a paper with examples on various methods:

http://cadik.posvete.cz/color_to_gra...Evaluation.pdf

If that's too heavy, you can just look at the pictures here:

http://cadik.posvete.cz/color_to_gray_evaluation/

CIE Y didn't do that well . . . . and there may not even be a one-size-fits-all-scenes method.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Paper Comparing Color Conversion to Grayscale Methods

Very interesting. I have always individually tweaked when converting to B&W to produce the aesthetic result I want without any particular interest in tonal accuracy.

The CIE Y method looks pretty good if you are totally colour blind... From an aesthetic and perceptual point of view for a normal sighted person it was pretty poor.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Paper Comparing Color Conversion to Grayscale Methods

Speaking of tweaking, I've looked at RawTherapee's options for conversion. I don't know what PS/LR/CC offers but RT's options would keep me quiet for a year or two. Not shown are the dozen or so presets which amongst others have all the classic "films" of yesteryear, plus oddballs like IR.

Paper Comparing Color Conversion to Grayscale Methods

I sometimes think that RT is less used than others because of the sheer volume of options and choices. In later versions they've added a complete tab for wavelet de-noising, as if the billion existing NR options were not enough . . .