Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduated ND filters

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Graduated ND filters

William in your post #18 you imply that I stated "and lack of knowledge" this I never did, I did as you state "posed that it could be my lack of use". This may be the result of an incorrect assumption as practice and knowledge are in my thought two different things, as an example I have the knowledge of how to read music and play an instrument, however you do not want me to play for you as it has been many years since I have practiced, but the knowledge is still there, just not the results I want.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

I don't want to debate what has already been said but I will add another - personal - perspective. I know many photographers do, but I have never used a graduated ND on any camera , preferring instead to expose for (important) and then subsequently, PP the image. There are a number of good reasons for this:

1. Quality makes of ND are expensive for something that I would only use occasionally.
    2. Complex horizons end up needing further processing anyway.
    3. I have never found an ND filter that is completely colour neutral. Whereas that can be corrected relatively easily in camera by customising a colour balance, that isn't a solution for a graduated ND where by definition, part of the image remains unfiltered.
    4. I know it shouldn't be the case, but most of my photography is hand held. I have never tried, but I would think that positioning a GND accurately would be quite difficult. However, that is a personal trait.

In recent times, I have been using a piece of software called Photokit 2. It is relatively inexpensive and amongst many other things, allows you to apply a graduated burn to an image with control over how much of the image it is applied to. Because the effect is applied as a layer, by changing the opacity of the layer, it also allows you to control the degree of ND applied and of course, by masking (or erasing ) the layer, complex horizons can be catered for. Nothing you can't do in PS , it just makes it so much easier.

I guess all this is personal in that it suits the way I work but I thought that I would pass it on out of interest.
    Last edited by John 2; 21st August 2015 at 07:11 PM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

I'm very late picking this thread up. However, I would more or less echo John's earlier post.

I used to use ND and grad filters when I was still shooting film. After I started with digital photography, like a lot of others, I found that there were other ways to resolve the problems they were used to manage with film.

As an example of how things have changed, Max raised the problem of complex skylines, now I would consider shooting a bracketed sequence and then blend accordingly. Ii is just one of may ways this can be addressed with digital processes.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Allan, thanks for your Post #21. I understand. I too separate: 'lack of practice' and 'lack of knowledge'.

I did not understand that separation within the context of your comment. Your analogy of (the knowledge of) reading music and the (practice of) playing an instrument provided a clear understanding and hit a chord (pun intended).

It was not that I actively make an incorrect assumption, but rather that I was confused as to your exact meaning - I had difficulty attributing the word 'problem': if I assumed anything I assumed that you'd think that I knew how to use a Grad ND and that added to my confusion and my misunderstanding.

I am sorry for any concern that my comments in Post #18 have caused.

William

Real Name
    wm c boyer

To hijack an older thread...with my newfound penchant for OOF images, does anyone offer
    filters reminiscent of hand blown windows?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Joe I wouldn't recommend a screw on version - you have no scope to adjust the position of the neutral density transition relative to where the bright areas of the scene meet the darker areas.

The slide in square filters require a bit more kit but once you get used to using them they are easy to work with.

The only thing is that I'm not sure whether you could use a square holder on your Canon kit lenses as the front of the lenses may rotate as focus is changed.

Dave
    That is a problem with any lens which has a rotating front element.

However, in the days before reflex cameras were common, photographers would often rotate a polarizing filter while looking through it and then place it in front of the lens. I guess that you could do the same with a rotating front element and a GND filter.

The "Rule of Thirds" abhors a horizon cutting through the middle of an image. Yet all (all I have ever seen that is) round, screw-in GND filters have the cut off down the middle of the filter. Your alternative is to place your horizon down the center or crop a lot of your image out.

Why not have a pair of GND filters that have the cut off at 1/3 down from the top and 1/3 up from the bottom. This would place the "average" horizon at the ideal spot. I don't like square filters because I consider them a PITA to use. In fact, I consider GND filters in general a PITA to use.

Yet all circular

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12