Thread: Lightroom healing brush (spot removal)

Real Name
    Dave

Lightroom healing brush (spot removal)

Hi,

Ever since Lightroom's spot remover was enhanced to allow drawing a shape, it's a lot more versatile.

However, I have always found that trying to heal adjacent areas was a nightmare, because the first brush kept being activated when drawing a second.

What I have recently discovered on another forum is that the behaviour changed with Lightroom CC / 6.

When you select the tool, you get a "Tool Overlay" option at the bottom. I had thought that just showed where the various brush strokes are, but no. If you select "Never", you can now brush anywhere without interference between brush strokes.

Maybe everyone know this, but I didn't!

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lightroom healing brush (spot removal)

I didn't know either. Thanks

Real Name
    Ian Hutchinson

Always wondered when they would add this feature, thanks for the heads up.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

If I understand you correctly, that capability was added in Lightroom 5. If the behavior is different in version 6, I would appreciate clarification as a potential reason for me to upgrade.

EDIT: The "Never" setting is in LR5. Does that setting behave differently in LR6?
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th August 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I didn't know either. Thanks
    Neither did I. Thanks from me as well.

Real Name
    John

Just started using the tool but still using LR 4, haven't found the need to upgrade yet but this might increase the odds. Thanks for tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Just started using the tool but still using LR 4
    The tool in Clone mode in LR5 is far more powerful than in LR4 in ways not even discussed in this thread. So, the same will be true of the tool in LR6 compared to LR4.

Real Name
    Dave

If I understand you correctly, that capability was added in Lightroom 5. If the behavior is different in version 6, I would appreciate clarification as a potential reason for me to upgrade.
    Don't know Mike. This is the thread: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showt...6056-Heal-tool

Dave

P.S. it's over a year since you gave us a tour of D.C.. Hard to believe.

I can't tell from the details of that thread whether there has been a change in LR6. That's because I'm not confident people in the thread described the situation accurately. I do think, though, that I can precisely describe the behavior in LR5 so someone can compare it to the behavior of the latest version.

Using LR5, when "Never" is configured, I cannot brush over an area that had already been brushed if I start within the previously brushed area. However, I can brush over an area that had already been brushed if I start outside the previously brushed area and continue my brush stroke across the previously brushed area.

That's true whether using Heal or Clone mode. It is also true when "Never" is NOT configured.

P.S. When you return to DC, let's get together again.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th August 2015 at 09:15 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Mike,

I think you have hit on the difference. With the latest version, you can start inside the previously brushed area.

Dave

That's excellent news! That and the new Dehaze capability are two reasons for me to strongly consider upgrading. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Real Name
    Martin

Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer to move the photo from Lightroom 5 into Photoshop to do my cloning and then back again when I've finished.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Martin,

I do agree that the healing tools Photoshop are superior, but I like to retain non-destructive editing in Lightroom if I can.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi Martin,
    I do agree that the healing tools Photoshop are superior, but I like to retain non-destructive editing in Lightroom if I can.
    Dave
    I agree. I can handle a majority of my images in Lightroom, without any pixel editor, and as long as I can do so easily, I prefer it. However, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Real Name
    J stands for John

What on earth is this fabulous "Non destructive editing" that people go on about? Sounds like popular mythology to me

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    What on earth is this fabulous "Non destructive editing" that people go on about? Sounds like popular mythology to me
    The proper name is "parametric editing", where equations describe the impact of the edit to the viewed image, rather than changing the values of individual pixels. The person doing the edit effectively provides the parameters that the various equations apply (range, effect, intensity).

The technique (if applied properly) can be very powerful and reversible, but the nature of the edits mean that the range of the edits is usually quite limited.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The proper name is "parametric editing", where equations describe the impact of the edit to the viewed image, rather than changing the values of individual pixels. The person doing the edit effectively provides the parameters that the various equations apply (range, effect, intensity).

The technique (if applied properly) can be very powerful and reversible, but the nature of the edits mean that the range of the edits is usually quite limited.
    ... and there was I worrying about Composition, Exposure and Depth of Field etc without realising there was all this to worry as well!! ... lol

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

To use the clone tool in Photoshop I always clone to an empty layer ensuring this layer and below is ticked. Using this method you can delete this layer if you error.

this is then non destructive to the original image. When finished you then stamp down the layers retaining all others.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

I am glad somebody understands this gooble de gook.

That is a neat idea DVW But it means you have a proper editor not LR.