Thread: I far prefer a manual zoom

Real Name
    Richard

I far prefer a manual zoom

Of course, all of my Canon EF and EFS zoom lenses are manually controlled. That is, I control the focal length by manually twisting the zoom ring to zoom out and zoom in.

I also use four cameras which include motorized zooms (Canon SX50, Panasonic TM900 video camera, Fuji underwater camera and my wife's Canon P&S., That is the focal length is controlled by pressing buttons or pushing levers to zoom in or zoom out.

It is far easier and quicker for me to compose using my manual zooms than it is for me to use the motorized zooms. It could be just what I am used to but, I wish all the cameras had manual zooms.

If they did not have manual zooms, I wish I could control the zoom speed making it slower...

Real Name
    Ted

Re: I far prefer a manual zoom

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    If they did not have manual zooms, I wish I could control the zoom speed making it slower...
    Or the kind of control like a modern jet fighter joystick, i.e. the zoom speed is proportion to pressure, not just on-off?

Real Name
    J stands for John

Obviously you have the wrong cameras and since I have been using Panasonic FZ's and a Lumix lens now with MFT I gave away that problem with my Nikon bridge and Sony video gear a decade or so ago. My lens do not have true manual zooming but what is I believe 'fire by wire' which works pretty much the same.
    I agree that power zoom is the PITAs

Real Name
    Richard

After reading my user's manual (If all else fails, read the directons) I realized that my Panasonic TM900 dedicated video camera has the capability of manual zoom by twisting the lens ring...

Real Name
    Martin

Yep, manual zoom is better... and allows for less battery drain... now if only we could convince all lens manufacturers to design their lenses such that they all zoom in the same direction when you twist the ring...

Real Name
    Richard

Martin mentioned: "now if only we could convince all lens manufacturers to design their lenses such that they all zoom in the same direction when you twist the ring..."

Completely off the subject...

Have you ever wondered why empty on a car's gas gauge is on the left for some cars and on the right for other cars...

ANSWER: When empty, the needle points to the side on which the gas cap is located. I have been driving for well over 50 years and only learned that fact recently. I'll bet that it may be news to some of you also

My Subaru has a digital gas gauge which incorporates an arrow pointing to the right side - because that is where the gas cap is located

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

When empty, the needle points to the side on which the gas cap is located. I have been driving for well over 50 years and only learned that fact recently.
    I have heard that before - but I betcha there are exceptions

Must remember to check the cars in our family for compliance - can I get a refund if it ain't so?

Back to topic

Yes, another vote for manual zoom, for all the reasons expressed above.

Broadcast TV cameras do have proportional control of zoom speed, no doubt some higher end prosumer ones do too.

Real Name
    Tom

Have you ever wondered why empty on a car's gas gauge is on the left for some cars and on the right for other cars...

ANSWER: When empty, the needle points to the side on which the gas cap is located. I have been driving for well over 50 years and only learned that fact recently.
    But that just pushes the question back one step -- "Why hasn't the auto industry standardized on a side for the gas cap?"

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    But that just pushes the question back one step -- "Why hasn't the auto industry standardized on a side for the gas cap?"
    Perhaps because it would compromise the cost effectiveness, design and throughput at gas/petrol stations?

You only need half as many pumps if cars can pull up both sides to refuel (let's also assume we also want them pointing same way to avoid head-ons).

Well that's my thoughts on it, until someone comes up with an alternative solution

Real Name
    Bill

I think that may be an urban myth. My UK BMW X1 fills from the right but E is at the left of the gauge. Its Mazda CX-5 predecessor filled from the left but also had E at the left of the gauge.

Real Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    Why is it that be that Aus,NZ, UK, Japan etc drive on the LHS of the road, USA, European countries and others on the right. In NZ, Japanese based cars have the indicators and dip switch on the right, and wipers and washers on the left, but European cars are the reverse. Causes problems with wipers instead of indicators, but does keep the screen clean, but can dazzle oncoming cars at times.
    Confusing isn't it.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Petrol pumps in NZ largely or if not always have pipes permitting servicing of cars on both sides of the island
    My Suzuki Escudo has its fuel tank access on the right side of the car.
    And YES KEN when driving overseas it was common for me to signal with my wipers and for awhile on return a similar problem in reverse LOL. One trip had me going NZ-USA-UK-USA-NZ Plus driving 'strange' vehicles on the 'wrong' side of the road. But fortunately I drove vehicles native to the country ... must be hell driving a UK car on the continent as I relate the steering wheel to the correct side of the road to be on

Real Name
    J stands for John

Many decades ago I had a Canon 8mm movie camera and I organised a handle for the zoom ring which helped to smooth my zooms as I operated it with my finger tip at a distance of about three inches out.
    I had a pipe clip of suitable size to wrap around the zoom ring and somehow [ forgotten in the mists of time ] I had a short length of brass rod ... this was heavy enough to give me a power-zoom