Thread: Art in the Pens

Real Name
    John

Art in the Pens

My wife's interest in ceramics usually has me dragged around various events at this time of year. Some of these take a weekend advantage of what during the week are local cattle markets which have the advantage of being under cover and providing ideal individual exhibitor spaces in each of the cattle pens. Hence the name of this one we went to last Saturday. Actually I'm not that reluctant, because I have begun to realise that these outings provide a good opportunity for a sort of street photography. These are some of the characters I spotted. I was also using the Fuji Velvia setting on the camera. It is a bit bright for outside but indoors I like it very much.

All Fuji Xt-1 and 18-55mm zoom.

1. Passing the time surrounded by her art work waiting for customers.
    Art in the Pens

2. Nice and Bright and why not. She didn't seem to mind being photographed.
    Art in the Pens

3. Well you just have to - don't you?
    Art in the Pens

4. Marmalade? The exhibition catalogue had an exhibitor called Marmalade. I'd just love this to be her but I confess that I don't know that it is.
    Art in the Pens

5. Artist. Another way of keeping busy waiting for customers. His paintings in colour were a bit distracting hence the partial colour pop.
    Art in the Pens
    Last edited by John 2; 18th August 2015 at 10:25 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Art in the Pens

Nice series, glad you turned an obligation into a benefit.

Real Name
    John

Thanks John.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am with John in his comments here...nice series...(+1 to Shadowman). Now that reminds me not to whine when I am being dragged to go somewhere (Bad girl!) I have no interest in...Now I am sorry about the lost opportunities...moving on....

Even though I like all of them especially with narratives, I particular am very fond of #5 -- especially the explanation of why you did selective colouring for it. One good reason for it...I will remember this. #1 is a very sweet shot...I like the artistic rendition of #3 too...whereas #4 is a great catch there...I love all of them...!!!

Real Name
    Greg

Nice series, John. I like the first and 4th but in #1 I would like to see you zoom right in. A half portrait of the subject (waist upwards) would still contextualise her and draw the reader into the face and hands.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I like these John, good clear and interesting shots. Nice work

Dave

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Very nice series John. The camera setting you used gives very natural colours and skin tones. The only thing that bothers me a little in # 5 is the transition from the colour to monochrome areas - most notably on the floor and pen railings. The foreground floor has a nice warm tone and the bottom 2 railings also show some colour but then the remainder are monochrome. Having never tried this myself I have no idea whether a more gradual transition is possible or whether you might want to try elimination the colour on the all of the rails and floor.

Does the cattle market retain and olfactory ambiance?

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice series

Real Name
    John

Thanks all. Izzie, I don't really mind going to these events. I enjoy the art as well and there are even a few photographers exhibiting.

Good thought Greg. I had just seen these as day out shots but making more of the portrait aspect might just make a comp image (in a portrait section).

Helen, It can be a bit bracing when you first enter but you don't notice it after a while. I might take the sponge tool to the railings to de saturate them and see what it looks like.