Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: AF-On on D3200

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

AF-On on D3200

On Nikon D3200 there is a back button AE-L/AF-L. Also this button locks the image for accidentally deleting.
    I have set this button to be AF-ON. So instead of half pressing the release button I focus on this button. And this technique works great. But I have one small problem. When I keep my eye on the view finder I take one image. And after the image is taken, it is shown on the display, but I keep my eye on the view finder, and try to focus again for the next shot. But because the camera has shown the image, instead of focusing, it locks the image and does not focus until I half press shutter release button (in this case when I half press the release button, the displayed image hides, and the camera goes in shooting mode)

How do you use AF-ON button ? Any ideas how to solve this problem ? Currently when I take one shot, I touch the release button, and then press AF-ON to focus again, but sometimes forget to do it, so instead of focusing the subject, I lock the displayed image.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: AF-On on D3200

Hi Darko,

Yes, now you mention it, that is a problem using that particular button for AF-ON, I remember having that problem myself when I first started using AF-ON.

Since then; I have now programmed the (front mounted) Fn button as my AF-ON button, primarily because, wearing glasses, I found they got in the way of my thumb trying to reach the AE-L/AF-L button.

So to focus, I use my the third finger of my right hand to press Fn (as AF-ON) - and it avoids the issue you have. It obviously takes a bit of getting used to, but is no more difficult than learning/remembering to use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus.

Hope that helps, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th August 2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: corrected left for right (doh!)

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

Re: AF-On on D3200

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice, but on d3200 it seems I cannot assign AF-ON to Fn button. However I turned off displaying the image after the shot is taken, so the problem is solved

Regards,
    Darko

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Darko,

Yes, now you mention it, that is a problem using that particular button for AF-ON, I remember having that problem myself when I first started using AF-ON.

Since then; I have now programmed the (front mounted) Fn button as my AF-ON button, primarily because, wearing glasses, I found they got in the way of my thumb trying to reach the AE-L/AF-L button.

So to focus, I use my the third finger of my right hand to press Fn (as AF-ON) - and it avoids the issue you have. It obviously takes a bit of getting used to, but is no more difficult than learning/remembering to use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus.

Hope that helps, Dave