Thread: Image Just Asking for Selective Coloring...

Real Name
    John

Image Just Asking for Selective Coloring...

...but I couldn't do it.

This is a fireboat that patrols the Niagara River in WNY. I plan to make a series of images of this vessel. Comments and critique welcome.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Image Just Asking for Selective Coloring...

Your series would be especially enjoyable to children who are fascinated with tug boats, perhaps partly because there is or at least used to be an educational television series that personifies a tugboat. I realize that this is a fire boat rather than a tugboat, but children will still be very attracted to your series.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th August 2015 at 01:43 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Why not John? I bet you had done it but you didn't like it...why not let us be the jury of your creativeness...I know...some people don't like selective colouring, but that is their problem, they don't like it...but I do. I think there are a lot of shots/images that deserves that treatment, especially if you are using it for emphasis for instance...

Great colours on this image, John...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Your series would be especially enjoyable to children who are fascinated with tug boats, perhaps partly because there is or at least to be an educational television series that personifies a tugboat. I realize that this is a fire boat rather than a tugboat, but children will still be very attracted to your series.
    Mike,

Thanks for the comments, maybe I can include some tugboats in the series.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Why not John? I bet you had done it but you didn't like it...why not let us be the jury of your creativeness...I know...some people don't like selective colouring, but that is their problem, they don't like it...but I do. I think there are a lot of shots/images that deserves that treatment, especially if you are using it for emphasis for instance...

Great colours on this image, John...
    Hi Izzie,

I didn't try it yet but did consider it. I may give it a try. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

There's too much background competition here...wait until it's out on patrol.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Hi William,

I feel the same way, I tried a few different crops but wasn't happy with the results. Thanks for commenting.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

John,

do you use photoshop? If yes, use the color selection within a pre-selected area (by the lasso tool or similar to roughly select the target). In this way it should be easy enough to select the ship for coloring to your heart's desire.

Lukas

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Lukas, look at his EXIF. He does use Photoshop and he has done selective colouring before which I had like very much...that I can still remember it...
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaswerth View Post
    John,

do you use photoshop? If yes, use the color selection within a pre-selected area (by the lasso tool or similar to roughly select the target). In this way it should be easy enough to select the ship for coloring to your heart's desire.

Lukas

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Lukas, look at his EXIF. He does use Photoshop and he has done selective colouring before which I had like very much...that I can still remember it...
    So what's the problem?

Lukas

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by lukaswerth View Post
    John,

Lukas
    Lukas,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have access to Photoshop, I'll give it a try.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

I think that it might work best in fog, but actually without selective colour. (And I am one of those not fond of selective colour.)

I came to think of a product shot I once made to illustrate the final form of Carrick Bend, a knot that is often misunderstood. I took it in the light from a window against the plain white background of the door to my balcony, and the two ropes are very different, one of them very old, the other brand new. The whipping on the new rope has not yet taken any wear, and it is made with a blue yarn, while the other rope was one I saved in the trashbin when I worked as rigger at Benn's. Its whipping of waxed floss has been in use for about twenty years.

It is a colour image, no desaturation or enhancement.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    That was my first though too. An excellent subject parked in the wrong place.

If the boat can be selected in post, perhaps the background above the waterline can be toned down somehow . . .

. . . or replaced by fog?

Real Name
    Steve

That is so knotty; I used to drive trucks and learned some knots, I've forgotten them now but was amazed how to tie a knot in the middle of the rope and tighten so tight it almost caught fire.

Real Name
    Max

That is a stunning boat, but agree with others that the background is competing with it severely. I am not convinced about applying a selective colouring treatment to it, but would like to see you try it.

One of things is that everything is brightly lit. This brightens the colours and adds all those sharp, distracting shadows, including in the background. Shooting on a cloudy or overcast day would dull all that down and, as the boat is such a vivid colour in itself, it might survive that better than the background and so stand out more.

Other than that, shooting it when it is out to sea would isolate it well, but then you would lose that contextual stuff, which I quite like.

Overall, it is a pleasant image. I like it. And I like it enough to think it would be worth persevering with to see if a better shot can be achieved.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Max von MeiselMaus View Post
    That is a stunning boat, but agree with others that the background is competing with it severely. I am not convinced about applying a selective colouring treatment to it, but would like to see you try it.

One of things is that everything is brightly lit. This brightens the colours and adds all those sharp, distracting shadows, including in the background. Shooting on a cloudy or overcast day would dull all that down and, as the boat is such a vivid colour in itself, it might survive that better than the background and so stand out more.

Other than that, shooting it when it is out to sea would isolate it well, but then you would lose that contextual stuff, which I quite like.

Overall, it is a pleasant image. I like it. And I like it enough to think it would be worth persevering with to see if a better shot can be achieved.
    Hi Max,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.