Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Real Name
    John

Gps

Has anyone had experience with GPS on the Canon 5D MK III? Is it worth the extra USD250 or so to enable it?
    Thanks,
    John

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Gps

The comment says:-
    "With a GPS logging function built-in, the GP-E2 will log latitude, longitude, elevation, and UTC time, and allow viewing of camera movement on a PC after shooting. ... will also record camera direction when shooting, even when shooting vertically!"

If you need that (and I'm sure there must be someone somewhere in the world that does), then it would be worth it.

Me? I can think of no reason whatsoever that I'd want or need that.

Real Name
    John

I'm taking a driving trip this Autumn across an old US Highway that has a lot of history. My interest is in taking lots of shots and hope this will mitigate some of the note-taking.
    Thank you for the input.

Real Name
    John

What would you be taking notes of? I find note-taking at the end of the day a very calming exercise, just browsing through my images bring forth lots of recollections.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I use the Nikon GPS when I'm traveling. Lightroom connects with Google Maps, so I can see where I took the pictures. I love this functionality.

Real Name
    Dan

This thread was the first time I realized that I could buy a GPS device for my 5D3, which I have had for two years. I guess I just don't travel enough. I generally have no problem recalling where I took my photos, at least in a general sense. If I did more wilderness landscapes, I think I might find it more useful, but at it is, it doesn't make my embarrassingly long list of equipment wants.

Real Name
    Allan Short

John just a slight bit off topic, which old US highway are you thinking of taking.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

US 40. My intention is to take 2 weeks.....which isn't much if I get enough pictures.

Real Name
    John

The Interstate System has largely replaced US 40, which has resulted in a lot of farm "decay" along the route. My interest is in documenting some of that, thus the importance of location.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    The Interstate System has largely replaced US 40, which has resulted in a lot of farm "decay" along the route. My interest is in documenting some of that, thus the importance of location.
    In which case, John, I think you've just answered your own question. Sounds like it would a significant asset to have GPS capability on board.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Donald....I have placed the order.....this thread made me think deeper about it..

Real Name
    Allan Short

John, have run some of 40 a couple of times, how are you getting back, maybe think 50, it is the forgotten hwy.

Basic GPS plus compass etc comes as standard equipment with the 7D MkII.

I find it handy for wildlife shots although it is a significant drain on the battery which continues when the camera is switched off unless the setting is disabled or battery removed.

It might also be handy to have an exact reference point and shooting angle for you, or someone else, to return a few years later and see exactly what has changed in the landscape.

Real Name
    Nate

Seems like you've already committed but another option would be a smart phone app. I've had luck using GPS4CAM on the iPhone. It's a little more effort but much cheaper (pro version is like 4 or 5 US bucks). You start the app at the beginning of your session, generate and take a picture of a QR Code at the end then point their desktop app at your downloaded images folder and it goes through sets the coordinates. Another plus is it's not camera specific.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Seems like you've already committed but another option would be a smart phone app. I've had luck using GPS4CAM on the iPhone. It's a little more effort but much cheaper (pro version is like 4 or 5 US bucks). You start the app at the beginning of your session, generate and take a picture of a QR Code at the end then point their desktop app at your downloaded images folder and it goes through sets the coordinates. Another plus is it's not camera specific.
    There are all kinds of third party solutions, but none are as easy (or foolproof) as having the data embedded in your image file when taking the shot.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    There are all kinds of third party solutions, but none are as easy (or foolproof) as having the data embedded in your image file when taking the shot.
    And sometimes it's both, depending on your camera/app. My Fuji X100T, when used together with the Fuji Camera Remote App uses the GPS location from the phone to embed the information in the EXIF of the image when you take it.

With my Panasonic GX-7 and the Panasonic app, the phone saves a track, and at the end of the shoot, you pair the camera with the phone and the camera geotags the images from the track.

I believe the Canon Camera Connect app does something similar to the Panasonic app, but since I don't have a wi-fi Canon dSLR, I couldn't tell you from personal experience.

A cellphone's location information can actually be more useful than standalone GPS device because a) it'll work indoors, b) it's probably using wi-fi hotspot mapping and cell tower triangulation as well as GPS for location information, so you're not dependent on being able to "see" the GPS satellites. But. It can be more of a PITA getting the phone and camera to talk together, and maintaining the location logging during your shoot via the phone.

There are reasons the 6D has a built-in GPS receiver.

Real Name
    Denny

My Nikon has the GPS built in and it is a useful feature. I sometimes do real estate shots of undeveloped land and the GPS data embedded in the EXIF data is verification of the location. In the case of the Nikon it does use significant power and it will on your Canon unless it has it's own battery supply.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Everyone, for your input. The instrument is due to arrive any minute now. Once I've installed it and given it a try, I'll say more.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    John, have run some of 40 a couple of times, how are you getting back, maybe think 50, it is the forgotten hwy.

Thanks for the tip. I did not know about 50, but will certainly explore this possibility.

Real Name
    Yes

I have and use a GP E2 on a Canon 5D III - and it also works on most of Canon's later cameras, including the M and with firmwear upgrades the 750 and 760.

Yes it does tag images, including raw files, with the location the shots were taken from, however Lightroom does not display the direction.

But it does take up the flash shoe (unless you want to use a cable which one won't wish to when travelling round). It can be set to just tag images, or it will record a GPS trail, but does so in an old standard which has to be converted for use with most mapping apps. The unit also does not use other signals or the Russian satellite system which gives greater accuracy. There is no warning that the battery is low. Unless using Canons apps it is not easy to clear the memory, which is quite limited.

It does also set the camera clock to second accuracy.

Would I buy it again? probably not! I otherwise use a small garmin unit which produces a standard .gpx route, which Lightroom can use to tag images (you just have to make sure the camera clock is correct to the second).

The garmin unit is more accurate and more sensitive, for example it will often track me going round a building. It uses the extra resources out there, and costs only £80.

That said the advantage of gps tagging in knowing exactly where images were taken from and the auto lookup and location labelling function in Lightroom are great, and Lightrooms ability to allow the tag to be changed from where an image was taken to what the image is of, just by dragging on a map image is very useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast