Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
30 inches by 45 inches...
Thanks for answering Q1.

Let's assume the answer to the Question #2 that I asked about your panorama is: "at about standard viewing distance" - so let's assume we'd be viewing your print at about 54 inches to 81 inches.

i.e. 1 to 1.5 times the diagonal
i.e.900 + 2025 = 2925
i.e. square root 2925 = 54
i.e. 54 x 1.5 = 81

Your panorama is - 30" x 45" that's a print 2.5 feet x 3.75 feet.

The Original Poster is discussing a panorama print 8 feet a 24 feet which is NOT to be viewed at any 'standard distance' but rather specifically: "intended to be examined at close proximity".

Therefore, comparatively, we'd require at least 7 more rows and 4 more columns of your panorama to fill a 8' x 24' print, that's an helluva lot of extra images - all of which are to be "examined at close proximity",

That's another way of explaining why I hold the view that a Tilt Shift Lens would be of benefit, because a 24' x 8' print is H U G E

For the requirement of a print that size to pass any worthwhile examination "at close proximity" is, to my standards, a large technical obstacle to overcome.

Therefore, at the outset, at the individual making of the MANY, MANY images that will be required for an excellent print of that size, one will require all the technical leverage that one could muster.

On a side note, what I find concerning is that, on one hand the Original Poster specifically mentioned that GigaPan was NOT suitable for the purposes to complete this particular task - and as I mentioned previously GigaPan employs the 'EPIC' Head, which inclines and declines the Len's Axis if more than one row of the pan is necessary.

Yet in post #10 the OP asked a similar question about multi row panoramas.

Therefore, it occurs to me, that the original explanations outlining the benefits of a Tilt Shift Lens for such a complex task as the OP has described have not been understood by the OP.

WW