Real Name
    Bruce

Lady

C&C most welcomed.

Lady

Real Name
    John

Re: Lady

Nicely captured, good control of the highlights and shadows.

Real Name
    Bruce

John, thank you for your kind comments.

Bruce

Real Name
    Richard

Nice shot but, I would try to heal the dry and red skin areas, especially around her eyebrows. maybe I am sensitive to this because I have the same type of condition...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I love the pose, the lighting, the bokeh...I like what John said too...to me this is a perfect shot...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Looks like a hot and hazy day when you took this shot Bruce.

I find that digital cameras seem to exaggerate some of the redness in the skin tones and I almost automatically try to desaturate the colour a touch in these types of images just to downplay that a bit. There are some hot-spots on the face and hair I might rework as well, depending on the subject's wishes and end-use of the image. The catchlight in the eyes and patten on the forehead suggest you used an on-camera fill flash (or am I mis-reading the image?).

f this was to be a more formal image (framed, for instance), I'd soften some of the lines on the face around the eyes and cheeks as these are a bit distracting. Some lines are caused by the way the head is turned and by the large smile and I would try to reduce / eliminate those while shooting by changing the pose.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Bruce I like the natural look of the lady a lot. IMO boheh is a bit too brigt on the left side of the frame and I would tone it down a bit.I would also clone the leaking black eye make-up around her eyes. I don't care about the redness and the wrinkles on her face for this particular image because IMO that's the way she is . I say so , may be it's because I'm not worried about the wrinkles on my face too Also her T-shirt indicates that she is not in a formal condition , so IMO it is better to keep the feeling of casualness in the image by not touching it very much. I would also try to give her eyes some more pop with PP.

Please mind that I'm not a portrait shooter and my comments are not based on my experience on portrait shots. I have commented with the help of my general photography knowledge and with my feelings

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks to Richard, Izzie, Manfred, and Binnur for viewing, and commenting on the photo.
    Manfred, fill-in flash was used on this shot.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Manfred, fill-in flash was used on this shot.
    The fill flash is a bit hot. A couple of suggestions...

1. If you are using a Nikon Speedlight, and aren't doing so already, try shooting in TTL-BL mode. The BL (Balanced Light) and it does a better job as fill flash and it handles the flash / ambient light calculations a bit differently;

2. Use flash exposure compensation and dial down around 1 stop to start, that gives you a lower output that can be less harsh. I find that a 2:1 ratio on my fill light gives a more natural look;

3. Go with off camera flash (if you can) and use Commander Mode (I believe your D300 has it), with a light modifier (umbrella) to give you a softer fill light. That being said, that means you need a light stand, umbrella / flash holder and some sandbags. Umbrellas are not great outdoors in a wind.

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, I used a Nikon SB-600 for this shot. I will check to determine if the flash has a TTL-BL mode.
    Thank you so much for the suggestions you made.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Manfred, I used a Nikon SB-600 for this shot. I will check to determine if the flash has a TTL-BL mode.
    Thank you so much for the suggestions you made.

Bruce
    I have the SB-600 as well; it has this mode. Check on page 33 of your manual.

Play around with flash compensation as well to get the look you want.

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks Manfred for the suggestion.

Bruce