Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Butterfly

Real Name
    Allan Short

Butterfly

I was going to title is " To all the B..ers out there", but second thoughts said that might not be the best title for a thread. Besides flowers, I do not shoot bugs all that often close to never. That said this beautiful flower bed as attracted quite a number. So if someone can tell me what I am looking at, that would be great.

Cheers: Allan

Butterfly

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Butterfly

Nice shot. I'm not an expert, but I think this is some kind of frittilary.

Real Name
    Binnur

Beautiful flowers and butterfly IMO the green part behind the butterfly distracts and bud-like thing competes with the butterfly. Some desaturation and blurring on that part might help

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Not bad, Allan...I googled Dan's terminology and one of the images looks like he is right...

Real Name
    John

Nice effort, good detail on the foreground petals, loses too much detail as view recedes, butterfly antennae looks like it's pointing out the blown highlight.

Real Name
    David

Very nice Alan!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Not bad, Allan...I googled Dan's terminology and one of the images looks like he is right...
    There's a risk in googling for identification, because anyone can post a photo with any label, and it's hard to know which ones google will pick up. This is more of a risk with insects than with other animals because the number of known species is so vast. I have posted incorrect identifications accidentally a number of times (including one recent one that Geoff caught for me). So, you will sometimes find incorrect identifications. For example, google "dragonfly" and you will find that most are photos of dragonflies, but a few are damselflies, which are an entirely different suborder. To lessen that risk, I look at the person or organization posting the image, which shows up when you mouse over the image. That way, you can zero in on authoritative sources, like university entomology departments, extension services, etc.
    Last edited by DanK; 28th July 2015 at 01:25 PM.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

The silver spots under the wing would indicate some sort of fritillary but the only ones I have for comparison wouldn't be found in Ontario. That specimen seems to have had some wing damage.

I find that Bugguide.net is a great source for identification.

Here is their page for a search on Fritillary. http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=sear...&search=Search

My guess would be Great Spangled Fritillary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_spangled_fritillary

Real Name
    Jim

I agree that it is a Great Spangled Fritillary.