Thread: Hidden

Real Name
    Melania Arcese

Hidden

Hidden

Real Name
    John

Re: Hidden

Nice collection of patterns, tones, and lines.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with John. However, I would recommend using the Photoshop Healing Brush tool to get rid of the beer bottle, image right and the plastic glass at the curb. But, perhaps these give the viewer an idea of the type of venue

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I agree with John. However, I would recommend using the Photoshop Healing Brush tool to get rid of the beer bottle, image right and the plastic glass at the curb. But, perhaps these give the viewer an idea of the type of venue
    I thought the same thing but it made me consider this:

http://www.alteredimagesbdc.org/

I know it is taking it to an extreme for the type of work we do, but what if it becomes such an obsession that we do it and later we need to meet a different criteria; is it enough to alert your viewers that you altered an image; do we really have to?

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I thought the same thing but it made me consider this:

http://www.alteredimagesbdc.org/

I know it is taking it to an extreme for the type of work we do, but what if it becomes such an obsession that we do it and later we need to meet a different criteria; is it enough to alert your viewers that you altered an image; do we really have to?
    Melanie,
    The practice of altering news photos has gone on for many, many years, and the controversy regarding what if anything is too much alteration has raged for just as long. And alarmingly, the practice is now easier than ever to achieve. And with so many news services having agendas that they are trying to advance, the resulting alterations take on a more sinister character.
    However, unless you are a professional photojournalist, or submitting images to a news service, in my opinion, those of us who shoot street can be excused if we clone out a bit of distraction here or there, to make the compositions better.

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice image Melania IMO some cleaning is up to you because the rubbish is already a part of the environment, I like the image with or without some rubbish anyway

Real Name
    John

I would also say keep the rubbish in. It is very much part of the scene.

Is that a bodrum (or the Italian equivalent) that she is holding?

John

Real Name
    James Edwards

Melania,
    I do not find that any of the miscellaneous 'secondary' objects in this image distracting from the main subject, it's a street scene and everything in it is 'proper' to the image. That said, had you for instance, chosen a square crop for the image, the bottle in particular would not be in view. I think then the plastic bottle and the paper at the back of the musician's chair could be more intrusive.....

ps, John... it is definitely a similar construction to the irish bodhran drum... I can almost hear it

Real Name
    Melania Arcese

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRostron View Post
    I would also say keep the rubbish in. It is very much part of the scene.

Is that a bodrum (or the Italian equivalent) that she is holding?

John
    Hi John, do you mean bodhráin? I took this photo in Dublin, the Italian equivalent is tamburo ;-)

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

Nice one Melania. I believe it is a bodhrain.
    Looks to me like a busker in Temple Bar in Dublin with its cobbled streets. It is quite common in parts of Dublin for pubs to get over-crowded near closing time and quite often people go outside for a cigarette (smoking is banned in indoor public places in Ireland). Bottles and glasses are often left on the pavement.
    The bottle for me adds context to the image. (I worked in Dublin city centre for most of my working life.)
    I like your Grafton Street image also. Very well captured.
    Last edited by Ndukes; 2nd August 2015 at 07:02 AM.

Real Name
    Melania Arcese

Quote Originally Posted by Ndukes View Post
    Nice one Melania. I believe it is a bodhrain.
    Looks to me like a busker in Temple Bar in Dublin with its cobbled streets. It is quite common in parts of Dublin for pubs to get over-crowded near closing time and quite often people go outside for a cigarette (smoking is banned in indoor public places in Ireland). Bottles and glasses are often left on the pavement.
    The bottle for me adds context to the image. (I worked in Dublin city centre for most of my working life.)
    I like your Grafton Street image also. Very well captured.
    Thanks!