Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Problems with date stamp on canon 50D

Real Name
    Chris

Problems with date stamp on canon 50D

Can anyone help please? I'm noticing that my date and time is off on my exif data. For example, I shot earlier today and when I downloaded my photos the date reflected yesterday, the 16th with a time of 9pm. I checked my date settings but is there a time zone setting as well? If so, I don't see it. If anyone knows how to correct this, I would gladly appreciate any help.

thanks

Re: Problems with date stamp on canon 50D

Quote Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
    Can anyone help please? I'm noticing that my date and time is off on my exif data. For example, I shot earlier today and when I downloaded my photos the date reflected yesterday, the 16th with a time of 9pm. I checked my date settings but is there a time zone setting as well? If so, I don't see it. If anyone knows how to correct this, I would gladly appreciate any help.

thanks
    I have a 50D. Not had a problem with this, and I'm sure there isn't a time zone setting. Can you post one of the shots complete with the EXIF?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Chris,

Is the date / time correct on your camera (ie not 12 hours out)?

Real Name
    Chris

Hey Rob, dumb question, but how do I ensure that my exif data is available to view? I found how to export my exif data but how do I upload here for you to view?

@Colin, I just adjust to whatever my computer clock reads - standard time, not military time , is that what you're referring to?
    Last edited by flipmode; 18th June 2010 at 05:32 AM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Chris - I don't know what you usually use to resize your images, But Irfanview keeps exif intact. http://www.irfanview.com/
    It is free and reasonably intuitive to use.

Hey Rob, dumb question, but how do I ensure that my exif data is available to view? I found how to export my exif data but how do I upload here for you to view?

@Colin, I just adjust to whatever my computer clock reads - standard time, not military time , is that what you're referring to?

Copy the jpeg. Resize it to 700 on the long side, and save. Upload it to Flickr (or wherever) and the EXIF should still be there. If it's Flickr you can see the EXIF in 'More properties' when you select the shot in Flickr. Or, if you upload that shot to this forum the EXIF can be viewd with an EXIF viewer - I use Opanda, which is free. But the EXIF has to be originally kept in the file. If you do 'save for web' in Photoshop to create the file it may not keep the EXIF unless you specified otherwise.

Real Name

So the date / time in the camera agrees with the date / time on your computer?

Real Name
    Chris

Let me know if this works for you guys.

Problems with date stamp on canon 50D

@Colin, yes it matches.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Jeffrey shows this;

June 16, 2010 6:12:44.09AM (timezone is GMT - 7 hours)
    Not sure where it got the timezone from, does a 7 hour difference equal your problem Chris?

Was it shot at 6:12 am?

More EXIF on picture
    Camera: Canon EOS 50D
    Lens: EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    Shot at 250 mm
    Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/100 sec, f/8, ISO 200
    Focus: At 2.5m

Real Name
    Chris

@ Dave, I shot it 6pm. Going to call canon and see what they say as well.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

@ Dave, I shot it 6pm. Going to call canon and see what they say as well.
    Surely you just need to move it on 12 hours, or swap am for pm

Or why not use the 24 hour clock (aka military time) and avoid the issue altogether.

Real Name

Almost sounds to me like you have the wrong region set on your PC, but the PC clock has been adjusted to compensate.

It really shouldn't be this hard ... If the Camera Clock and Timezone are correct and the PC time and time zone are corret then it should be correct.

Real Name
    Chris

Ok, so I got it figured out now. Had to change to military time in camera so it will show regular time in exif data. Thanks guys!

Modifying time/date stamp on pics...

hiya... this thread is old, but more than 1000 have viewed it, and this may be helpful to others...

from wikipedia... "There is no way to record time-zone information along with the time, thus rendering the stored time ambiguous." [ and prob not DST ]

i dint know my camera would store time/date settings for 4 days (wow) with batteries removed. so, i have a lot of pics i would like to correct the time/date stamp on... the wiki article on 'exif' file told me a bunch about it, and says that there are many programs that allow you to view and modify it...

i went looking for an answer, and i am closer... i made a quick call to a friend, at 9pm, our time, and in a coupla minutes, he told me about, and i searched on 'exif file', and found the wiki article... i am closer to my answer...

afn... [ All For Now ]... regards... Dnorm

Real Name
    Virginia

Hi, Flip -

While it's tedious a number of apps provide a way to correct the EXIF information so you might want to take a look for one of them that allows a trial installation which should give you 30 days to do the fixes. I ran into this with a borrowed camera once when I later discovered that the person hadn't done any of the setup process. Sheesh!

FYI - Most camera systems have what I consider to be a "bare" timekeeping system, i.e., no time zone adjustment like you may have in your computer. You just need to go into your camera's menu system and change the time. Sometimes, it will have an automatic update for Daylight Savings Time. But, in the US, since this has been expanded to be in effect for the longer time period, the automatic updates for DST are often not correct.

Your manual (an online version is probably available as a downloadable .pdf file at Canon USA's website -- I always have the .pdf file with my annotations on it in whatever computer I take in the field) should take you through the whole date/time setting process and, if it has a time zone function, it should get a mention in the manual.

Finally, one thing I try to do habitually when I'm setting up my gear for a shoot the next day is to check the date/time for correctness while I'm checking the battery charge and memory card. I added this to my list of ToDos after I got bit by using my friend's "un-set-up" camera.

virginia