Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Fire

Izzie,

That's a really nice comment and it has made my evening. You are most welcome.

I am sure that a lot really does sink in. I think that sometimes we only need to take a deep breath, slow down a bit, to let it all sink in.

WW

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    John...sorry for butting in-between your conversation...I really need to know as this kind of shots interests me as well...this post is a good learning experience for me...something I will remember in the future when it comes to action shots like this one...appreciate your patience.
    Izzie,

I don't mind at all, helping others is what this is all about. and it has helped me as well.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Thank you both...

Real Name
    John

Another from previous series. Which one works regarding form of the juggler?

Fire

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

The one on the right (as I look at the screen).

I downloaded both and up-sized each.

My reasons for my choice are because, in the image on the right:

> there's more definition in his Chest and Abdomen.

> the rim light on his L Upper Arm and his R Side creates a better sense of DEPTH (3 dimensionality).

I had a play with a bit of DODGING on his chest and abdomen - I think that it might be worthwhile for you to selectively lighten some areas - that will add a tad more depth (and subsequent general 'strength') to the Image. (And I reset the Black Point, to kill more of the Background).

Here is a rough (my redo is on the right):

Fire

The changes are in some areas subtle, I hope they are visible to you.

I think I went too far with the burning of the L. Breast area, but I think his gut generally and especially his R. Side are better defined in the redo - anyway, all for you consideration, it's your call ultimately.

Nice Body. Good Shot - well timed.

The rim lighting really works, I am glad you pursued that direction, not because it was I who initially commented on it, but because I believe that it really works for this type of Subject - AND - it is a real effort in Planning the Camera Viewpoint and Anticipating the Movement to get a decent shot - and when you do, it is so much more rewarding.

WW

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the right one as well, John because of the definition of his 6 pack. William's edit is very good too...more mysterious with the darker areas.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    The one on the right (as I look at the screen).

I downloaded both and up-sized each.

My reasons for my choice are because, in the image on the right:

> there's more definition in his Chest and Abdomen.

> the rim light on his L Upper Arm and his R Side creates a better sense of DEPTH (3 dimensionality).

I had a play with a bit of DODGING on his chest and abdomen - I think that it might be worthwhile for you to selectively lighten some areas - that will add a tad more depth (and subsequent general 'strength') to the Image. (And I reset the Black Point, to kill more of the Background).

Here is a rough (my redo is on the right):

Fire

The changes are in some areas subtle, I hope they are visible to you.

I think I went too far with the burning of the L. Breast area, but I think his gut generally and especially his R. Side are better defined in the redo - anyway, all for you consideration, it's your call ultimately.

Nice Body. Good Shot - well timed.

The rim lighting really works, I am glad you pursued that direction, not because it was I who initially commented on it, but because I believe that it really works for this type of Subject - AND - it is a real effort in Planning the Camera Viewpoint and Anticipating the Movement to get a decent shot - and when you do, it is so much more rewarding.

WW
    Hi William,

Great edit, I was torn between more mystery and more definition, Izzie seems to prefer more definition.
    I'll try your technique on this one and a few others. The background was probably the most time consuming portion of the edit as there were many lit objects that just didn't add to the concept.

Thanks for the comments, edit, and suggestions.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like the right one as well, John because of the definition of his 6 pack. William's edit is very good too...more mysterious with the darker areas.
    Izzie,

Thanks for the comments, yes William did a great job on the edit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12