Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Peacock - showing off

Peacock - showing off

Hi,

Saw this peacock showing his fantail and tried to capture the detail. Canon Powershot SX20is on full zoom but had to hand hold at 1/80th sec. No RAW with this camera so have simply used a little sharpening (via GIMP) and cropped.

Here is the original: Peacock - showing off

Here is my first attempt at enhancing it: Peacock - showing off

All feedback and suggestions welcomed!

Cheers,
    Phil

Re: Peacock - showing off

Sorry about the lack of images - I can't get the links to work.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong....

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Here you go man.
    Quick tip, (Chrome Browser) right click on the image and select "copy image url" and that should do the trick for the image URLs.

Original
    Peacock - showing off

PP
    Peacock - showing off

Hi Chriss,

Thanks both for fixing it and also for the tip. I'll try that next time.
    Last edited by Phil Coldrick; 16th June 2010 at 08:44 PM.

Real Name
    John

Very nice. Would it be safe to say you were shooting through a cage and couldn't get the entire plume in the shot?

Real Name
    Wendy

Very nice Phil. I like the composition and angle of the close up. It really shows him off nicely. Personally I like this just the way it is. It is very natural looking and not overdone in PP. Perhaps a little more contrast.... just a little though. Great shot.

Wendy

Thanks for your comments. Shadowman: these birds were running wild around an old Elizabethan House (Moseley Old Hall) where the young King Charles II hid after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651. Now a National Trust Property. I do have some of shots of the entire plumage which I also like but particularly wanted to capture the beauty of the feathers. I don't think the full view is as good.

A little boost to the contrast would help - thanks for that tip Wendy. I find it difficult to judge because my laptop screen just has to be angled a bit and the contrast appears to increase. How do you know when it is right, can you use a graph in GIMP or some other tool?

Peacock - showing off

Real Name
    John

Phil,

Both compositions are great, the two close ups and the final one posted above, I just thought that the close crop was due to shooting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Coldrick View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Shadowman: these birds were running wild around an old Elizabethan House (Moseley Old Hall) where the young King Charles II hid after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651. Now a National Trust Property. I do have some of shots of the entire plumage which I also like but particularly wanted to capture the beauty of the feathers. I don't think the full view is as good.

A little boost to the contrast would help - thanks for that tip Wendy. I find it difficult to judge because my laptop screen just has to be angled a bit and the contrast appears to increase. How do you know when it is right, can you use a graph in GIMP or some other tool?

Peacock - showing off