Thread: UV filter

Real Name
    David

UV filter

Hi.

I've just purchased a new bridge camera (Fujifim X-S1) and would like to buy a 62mm uv filter to project the lens. Obviously, I don't want the filter to degrade the quality of the image, therefore which make should I go for? Is price a good enough indicator of quality? Thanks, David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: UV filter

Quote Originally Posted by dldtaylor View Post
    Is price a good enough indicator of quality? Thanks, David
    Pretty much so.

I have always used Hoya Pro1 Digital UVs.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Pretty much so.

I have always used Hoya Pro1 Digital UVs.
    Thanks Donald

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The most important feature on any filter you put in front of your lens is a decent anti-reflective coating. It's not a good idea to use any filter without one as you will degrade the optical performance of your system. The multi coated ones are best. As for brands, I tend to stick with B+W or Heliopan.

Real Name
    Dan

Like Donald, I often have used Hoya, but I also use Marumi, which are a bit less expensive. Make sure the filter is multicoated to lessen flare. (I think all of the Hoyas and Marumis sold here are, but I am not certain.) also, you can get the same protection at less cost by buying a multicoated protective filter. It doesn't provide UV protection, but digital doesn't need that.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi David,
    Rather than UV filters I use clear protective filters, namely the B+W XSP MRC Nano Clear Protective Filters.
    UV Light will not affect a digital sensor the way it would affect film.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ollokot; 6th August 2015 at 01:50 PM.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi David,

Ah normally buy used B+W or Marumi filters (shoot a lot of film). Ah get them for around 80% less than they cost new. They are invariably of excellent quality and have been well looked after, considering the prices they sold for, new. Ah have a couple of Hoya Pro 1s (bought new, in sales, at around one third of the price) again very well made. The influence of filters is much more obvious in film photography, of course.

Comparing two, in the past, a 30 year old, B+W skylight 1a and a 5 year old Hoya Pro 1a, ah could see no visible difference. Mind you, ah've always been sceptical of (lens) manufacturers, in particular, on their claims for coatings.

Real Name
    David

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.

Real Name
    Dem

My X-S1 came with a nice metal lens hood that gives enough bumper protection for my liking. I think I didn't put a UV filter on the camera since last summer.

As a guide, anything under £10/$15 will probably noticeably degrade the image quality. On the X-S1 I tried Jessops filter without coating and Kenko, Agfa and Hoya (was the best) with coating.
    Last edited by dem; 19th July 2015 at 11:44 AM.

Real Name
    Jason

I have used B+W filters with great success. I accidentally dropped my camera and the filter with luck held up. Avoid ebay if possible. I bought a fake there and never got my money back. It was from a reputable seller......I thought.