Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: mac storage/file system

Real Name
    Mark

mac storage/file system

hey guys long time no see
    I need to pick your brains for a storage database for mac,
    what I would like, I don't know if there is something or not, so it may not be possible.
    my ideal file system would be to be able to add photos in lists.
    haha doing a rubbish job of explaining this, ill start again.
    instead of like just a folder with sub folders like for example, insects/spiders/flys
    I would like to have some sort of system like a excel spread sheet where I could have headings for all my separate photo collections, then be able to click each one to see them or indeed the sub section.
    reason is I have so many photo of selected types that the simple (mac photos/iPhoto/lightroom etc is now unable to do what I need.
    I want it to be like a proper database so I can easily find my spider or whatever allowing for its latin name/variants
    anyway, maybe you can tell me how you do yours or if you have any ideas
    cheers a lot
    mark

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: mac storage/file system

It sounds to me like you are looking for a cataloging tool, like Adobe Lightroom or Phase One Capture One. I'm not sure of what else out there is Mac specific.

With these tools, all of your image go into a catalog and you tag each image with key words. The software then lets you filter by keyword.

Real Name
    Peter

mac storage/file system

Mark, Lightoom does have a database/Digital Asset Management (DAM)which could I think meet your requirements. But to do so requires you to create a hierarchical set of Keywords for your images.
    Depending on the number of existing images you have it could be time consuming to retrospectively add keywords to your catalogue.
    If you have a very large archive of images it may be better to start to keyword your "new" images on import to Lightroom.
    A good hierarchy of keywords will allow you to search the Database and find any images meeting your search criteria.
    Have a look at John Beardsworth's web site to see what is possible :-
    http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/
    lightroom/

IHTH but...I'm sure there are other options wrt software to do what you want.
    For clarity and the avoidance of doubt I have no commercial/business links to John Beardsworth, other than admiring his knowledge of Digital Asset Management.
    Last edited by ST1; 12th July 2015 at 05:28 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Yea thanks guys I use LR already but as I had it years ago and never started to use it properly with a file system it would be hell now to redo over 6000 photos but maybe that's what I need to do, cheers for the link I'll check it out when I get home

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I use Adobe Bridge, which is very good for assigning keywords and keeping a list of the ones you have used. It would still be a pain to go back over 6000 pictures but I can't think of anything which would be quicker.