Thread: Photo Merge in LR

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Photo Merge in LR

FWIW...I tried it today for the first time...got a message that said "Unable to merge images.
    Not enough info to estimate camera motion." Photoshop had no difficulty.

Subject was a piece of vinyl floor tile positioned upright on a desk...ball-head tripod with camera
    rotated in my usual fashion, as opposed to moving on a horizontal/vertical axis.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Photo Merge in LR

I tried it once and ended up killing the Photomerge because it was taking so very long (it was running a good 3 times longer than when I did it in Photoshop using the same images).

I suspect that the software has to go through some fairly complex gyrations because of the lack of layers support in Lightroom.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I tried it once and ended up killing the Photomerge because it was taking so very long (it was running a good 3 times longer than when I did it in Photoshop using the same images).

I suspect that the software has to go through some fairly complex gyrations because of the lack of layers support in Lightroom.
    Manfred,

Isn't that longer processing time for the merge due to the Lightroom panorama merge working directly with the raw files instead of TIFF?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Thlayle View Post
    Manfred,

Isn't that longer processing time for the merge due to the Lightroom panorama merge working directly with the raw files instead of TIFF?
    Possibly. The PSD files were considerably larger than the raw files, so I don't know (I generally don't go the TIFF route). I ran around 11 or 12 36MP raw files as my data files. I didn't do any real baseline measurements, but the process just seemed to go on for a long time versus what it did in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

I have found from my experience too that Photoshop does the merge quicker as a rule. I remember watching one of the promo videos for the new Lightroom pano merge and hearing a comment from Julianne Kost that it was doing the merge "without rendering pixels" and that is the file was "just as much a Raw file as the original."

It is slow. Since I am new to both programs, I am still willing to give the Lightroom module a go. I do like the results I am getting.