Thread: Odd question - bug and flower macro in fall and winter?

Real Name
    Matthew

Odd question - bug and flower macro in fall and winter?

This is a weird question, but since I live in Washington state and "don't get out much" I am not certain of the conditions elsewhere in the country.

In the seasons of Fall and Winter, here, it is basically a "dead zone" for flowers and insects. Nothing much to shoot, and very dreary.

I wonder if anyone here lives in warmer states - are there flowers and insects to photograph in fall/winter - for example September through March?

I ask for two reasons. One, because I may want to take a trip somewhere in winter since it sucks here And just to be honest, the second reason is that I'm curious if it would be worth trying to sell a macro tutorial in fall/winter (as that is when I would probably complete it if I were to begin it now)

Thanks!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Odd question - bug and flower macro in fall and winter?

We are supposed to reach heat-wave conditions here this time around since yesterday and I have bees and ants in my hummingbird feeder. Autumn is still OK for bugs but it will be petering our by then and winter is dead on insects...or I am not used to it because I had only had the chance to look for bugs a few weeks ago.

Real Name
    John

I take a trip to some sunny climate every winter for the exact same reason, while there is plenty to photograph here in winter; I just cannot weather the cold too much while holding a camera. Setting up a tripod was quite an experience last winter while visiting Niagara Falls; my gear (tripod and lens) was immediately coated with a layer of frost within minutes of arriving.

Bugs and flowers are none to be found in winter around here, in the fall you'll still get some species to capture.

Real Name
    randy

Here in Minnesota, I definitely see very few flowers and insects between November and March. If I need a macro-fix during this period, I drive to an indoor venue. I have two zoos and a lovely conservatory in the Twin cities that provide opportunities. This also a good time to visit a local store for indoor flowering plants, I love to photograph the orchids from a local collector. Snow crystals also make real nice subjects for macro.

Real Name
    Dan

If you think there isn't much in the way of macro subjects outdoors in the winter in the northwest, you ought to come to New England! (I used to live in Portland, OR.)

During the winter, I mostly do cut flowers and dried, dessicated plants that I pick up walking, e.g., http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Flowers/Wilted-flowers/

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    This is a weird question, but since I live in Washington state and "don't get out much" I am not certain of the conditions elsewhere in the country.

In the seasons of Fall and Winter, here, it is basically a "dead zone" for flowers and insects. Nothing much to shoot, and very dreary.

Thanks!
    Bellville, TX, is near Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast. I live on 10 acreas of woodland and there are still a few bugs and flowers aroung here in "winter" but not too many to be honest. "Winter" because the average temp is about 40-50 F.

Best airport would be William P Hobby in South Houston and probably stay in Galveston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston,_Texas

Lots of wildlife here . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazos_Bend_State_Park

. . . but watch out for big lizards (we call them 'gators)

General wildlife info:

https://www.brett-robinson.com/p/23/...ildlife-guide/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/kids/about_texas/regions/gulf_coast/big_kids/gulf_coast_wildlife.phtml

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/gardening-and-outdoor/gulf-coast-gardening-attracting-pollinators/article

Last edited by xpatUSA; 12th July 2015 at 01:48 PM.

Real Name
    randy

. . . but watch out for big lizards (we call them 'gators)

hmmm........'gator macro......ever tried it?

Real Name
    Steaphany

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Bellville, TX, is near Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast. I live on 10 acreas of woodland and there are still a few bugs and flowers aroung here in "winter" but not too many to be honest. "Winter" because the average temp is about 40-50 F.
    I'm at the North Central part of Texas near Graham and South of Wichita Falls, just a bit under 300 miles from Bellville, TX. where Winter is cold, the average being in the 40's F, and temps can get down to 10 F some nights with an occasional week with it never climbing above freezing. When it snows, I have two extremes, a pretty day with it gone in 24 to 48 hours, or a real blizzard that leaves me snowed in with drifting snow blocking the road my property is on.

As for

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    I can't see how Fall & Winter could be dreary, so here are some examples, only one being a macro of a weed, but they show what can be done when things die:

Winter
    A Job Well Done
    Taken on January 17
    Yes, it's dead, a very dead wild Sunflower bloom
    Calm Water
    Also taken on January 17
    Yes, the trees are dormant and bare, just slightly warm enough to keep the water fluid, and still windless air
    Yes, Texas has Snow
    Taken on December 1
    Just a snap, noisy old camera
    Fall
    Rock Creek
    Taken on October 24
    Texas trees aren't known for their Fall color
    Autumn on the Brazos
    Taken on November 8
    It's just so sad, no color at all

The Fall photos were taken near Possum Kingdom State Park with Winter shots in my back yard.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 12th July 2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typos, formatting

Another wet and windy summer day here today, and the next few days don't look much better.

During the autumn I switch to fungi photos; but a word of warning. They are even harder to identify than flowers or insects.

Never gets excessively cold here though.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Here in Minnesota, I definitely see very few flowers and insects between November and March. If I need a macro-fix during this period, I drive to an indoor venue. I have two zoos and a lovely conservatory in the Twin cities that provide opportunities. This also a good time to visit a local store for indoor flowering plants, I love to photograph the orchids from a local collector. Snow crystals also make real nice subjects for macro.
    Good idea Randy...When hubby took me to the Botanical Gardens I pointed the conservatory and he said we will go there in winter...same thing you said, so that might be something to look forward to. We have two conservatories there.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    If you think there isn't much in the way of macro subjects outdoors in the winter in the northwest, you ought to come to New England! (I used to live in Portland, OR.)

During the winter, I mostly do cut flowers and dried, dessicated plants that I pick up walking, e.g., http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Flowers/Wilted-flowers/
    Dan...I went to you website and spent over an hour of my time there admiring your images. I am amazed at what you can do to the dried and dessicated plants. A real encouraging series of photographs there...Well done. Your website is also very simple and yet so beautifully done...

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you very much, everyone! This was extremely helpful. It gave me a lot of helpful information and great ideas.

The dried flower heads, seeds, and so forth are a great idea. I realized also that outdoors there will be frosty leaves and berries, icicles, etc.

I love the idea of shooting indoor areas and houseplants, etc. We have a great zoo here in Seattle with tropical aviaries and so forth (need to watch out for humidity though).

I definitely want to visit Texas sometime, I so appreciate the travel resources.

Lots of helpful answers here, so thanks again!

Real Name
    Dan

Izzie, thanks for your comments.

Matt, if you want to shoot indoors, you can create an inexpensive studio that makes it easier. I use continuous lighting rather than strobes so that I can more easily see what I am doing. I have two cheap "hair lights" that run around $100, each with a halogen spot. I use one as direct light, with diffusers in front (baking parchment paper works well), and I often use the other with an umbrella for less direct lighting. My background is an old black fleece vest, draped over a wooden clothes rack. It looks like the image below, although the specifics vary from photo to photo. The flower in this case is held by a Wimberley plamp, but often I just pile stuff up (as in this photo) and put a vase or something on top of it.

Dan

Real Name
    Richard

Winter has its own flowers here in Southern California most of our wildflowers bloom in the spring after winter rains (WHEN WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE RAIN). Florida has lots of nice winter flowers.

As far as bugs... I once lived in Florida and there were multitudes of bugs during all seasons. Florida is the only place where I would hear water bugs (big-big roach-like bugs) crunch beneath my car tires as I drove down the street at night!

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks again for the new replies. Dan, that is a neat setup, thanks for the tips. Quick tip back at you...you can buy little plastic florist tubes that you can put water in, and the flower stem inserts through a hole in the rubber cap. Keeps the flowers fresh so you can shoot longer without wilting. Just in case you didn't already know about that trick. Hope it helps.

Thanks guys!

Real Name
    Dan

Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion of florist tubes. I'll get some

Dan

Real Name
    Matthew

Dan, happy to help. You've offered much help to me and the community as well. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots and hearing how it went with the tubes.