Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Useful music stand accessory

Useful music stand accessory

A quick snap from the Salcombe Music Festival.

Useful music stand accessory

But look at that really useful music stand accessory. I have seen a few similar versions, mostly used by Jazz musicians, so I assume it must be a specifically manufactured item.

Probably supplied by Boosey & Hawkes!

ps. Yes, not a great photo but with midday sunshine outside and the musicians under an awning, it wasn't the best of conditions. Probably using fill flash would have helped but I wanted to 'travel light' with just a holster style bag for my 40D and 24-105 lens while everything else was left at home.

Sometimes there are more important things to do so I don't want to lug a ton of equipment around all day.

And I'm not totally sure where upright is with this scene. Maybe a fraction of clockwise rotation? But those glasses on the right hand shelves already look like they are about to slide onto the floor.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th June 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: extra paragraph

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Useful music stand accessory

To my way of thinking, a technically perfect shot is not necessarily the only beautiful shot. Art is subjective and involves such intangibles as emotion, sentimentality, personal involvement, personal taste, to name but a couple. I have known musicians in my day that were as close to technically perfect as you could get. True Monsters of Technique. But lacked some of the emotional aspect that plays no less a role in music. And, of course, vice verse. Music, by its very nature, is audio emotion conveyed by the musician. That is what touches us when we hear a piece that we can relate to. That is what sparks the tears, joy, excitement, melancholy, peace, harmony, and the entire gamut.

To me this shot speaks of, among other things, a generational bridge by virtue of one of the true Universal Languages. Music.

I think photographic images may be another of these languages and effects us in much the same way.

While I may not be qualified to comment on the technical aspect of this photo, I am quite well qualified to state what I like and why.

And I like your shot, Geoff.

Although, I wasn’t quite sure which accessory you were referring to. So unless I miss my guess?

Cup Holder- Steinway Custom.
    Clothes pin- Benge, or possibly Bach. Hand carved, of course.
    Scotch in cupholder- Glenfiddich.
    This photo- Priceless

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    To my way of thinking, a technically perfect shot is not necessarily the only beautiful shot. .... While I may not be qualified to comment on the technical aspect of this photo, I am quite well qualified to state what I like and why.
    Beautifully put ... and totally correct.

And this one tells us a great story, Geoff.

Real Name
    Remco

Nice pic!

As for the proposed rotation: in this kind of situations, I tend to use the persons in the picture: if they seem in a stable position, it's usually fine (if I have a good vertical or horizontal line, I use that of course, but you'd be surprised how many walls, doors etc. are not vertical, esp. in older buildings...).

Remco

Yes, as you said Remco, they are playing outside an old boatyard with rough irregular walls and a very uneven floor surface. As I kept changing the camera angle I set the WB to shade but I suspect the colour may have been better if I had done a proper Custom Balance.

And thanks for the comments. I have quite a few photos of various artists and elderly boats still to process (well over 200) so I will be posting a few more; including some which may need a second opinion.

Real Name
    Rick

Very cool shot, Geoff. As others have said, a great story: older guy and younger guy, a clothespin and another clip to hold the music in the wind, but a special accessory for the drink, the Ale sign in the background. It breathes jazz and swing.

I can't tell in this version of the image: can you see the top of the ale/beer in the cup in the accessory? That will give you a nice level. That's probably the real purpose of it.

Cheers,
    Rick

No, that is one of the problems, Rick, the beer level is hidden by the glass holding ring. I did try to use the stand support as a guide for upright but, as I said, the ground is slopping so 'correcting' that just makes the guy on the right appear to lean backwards. And, when this was taken, he hadn't drunk that much!

If I may tag on another photo (and once again, a difficult light angle means it is far from perfect) this may help to give a better idea of the context of this scene.

Across the yard, the barbecue was just beginning to reach 'full steam'.

[IMG]Useful music stand accessory[/IMG]

2.50 for a burger in a bun, but decent sized portions.

And in between, people were enjoying both attractions.

Real Name
    Rick

Another great scene: complete focus on the work at hand, and some great reflections from the barbeque equipment.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks, it was a mixture of shade and harsh side lighting with only one available angle so quite a lot of 'click and hope' was used here!