Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Michael Kenna

Michael Kenna

A very interesting profile of Michael Kenna, the famous BW photographer. And his website

Real Name
    John

Re: Michael Kenna

Rob,

Thanks for posting, very interesting take on subject matter. Couldn't tell from the video if he is shooting digital or with film. I'll have to check out his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Rob,

Thanks for posting, very interesting take on subject matter. Couldn't tell from the video if he is shooting digital or with film. I'll have to check out his website.
    I think he normally uses a film camera (Hasselblad), and some of his work goes back to the 1970's anyway. I was amazed that he wanders (alone presumably) late at night in big city centres.

Real Name
    John

About the wandering, so was I, it appears that he took his time setting up shots, waiting for the right amount of light. As the narrator said, he was an isolated person.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I think he normally uses a film camera (Hasselblad), and some of his work goes back to the 1970's anyway. I was amazed that he wanders (alone presumably) late at night in big city centres.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rob

I have, shamefully, to confess that until you made a reference to Kenna in the context of one of my very inferior efforts, I had not known of his work.

But since then, I am a disciple. I think the man's work is just outstanding. And having watched this, I am bowled over by how my own attitudes, values and motivators are so much the same as his. I did what I did (upon which you commented), without knowing Kenna's work. This seems to be some sort of powerful evidence that there is a connection between attitudes, values and how you see the world, with what you then seek to produce. Except he's much better at it than me!
    Last edited by Donald; 15th June 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This seems to be some sort of powerful evidence that there is a connection between attitudes, values and how you see the world, with what you then seek to produce. Except he's much better at it than me!
    Quite agree. It shows very well how the artist (in whatever medium) is really projecting their view of the world into what they produce. And the viewer (who might not normally have the time or inclination) can share in that view, and see something that they didn't before.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Hasselblad; well that's a bit risky late at night especially since it is likely to be digital. I didn't know you could still get film for medium format black and white but it seems to be an odd thing to do to carry something so large and go to so much trouble to get pictures no better than a 35mm dslr can do, but I suppose if your used to doing it that way the excitement of uncertainty and all that stuff where you don't know what you've got until your developing it.

Cheers, I like these little insights into great minds.

Real Name
    Jeroen

It seemed I missed this thread until now and I'm glad I discovered it now after all. It's 9.11 minutes of the most fascinating thing you could possibly find on youtube. It's so awkward to see his work and have to say at every shot that it's perfect (well as far as producing something perfect is possible at all), and when you start analysing why it's that much better than your shots you're left whit nothing at all. There is no divine trick that would make your work look astonishing instantly. It's just exceptional talent and craftsmanship, just as the ability to always go for the highest and best and never by satisfied.

I see how he works alone all the time, so do I prefer to work. Shooting together is maybe more fun but I feel most of the time it distracts from the effort you should put into every single shot you do.
    What a shame that walking around with a bag filled with equipment worth several €1000 (luckily something I can't afford ) in the middle in the night in the city is something you shouldn't do, because of your own safety and your equipment's.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th July 2010 at 10:14 AM.