Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Friday Evening Car Show

Real Name
    Richard

Friday Evening Car Show

Every Friday afternoon and evening; downtown Escondido, California is transformed into a living museum of automotive history. Spectators can view static displays of American automobiles and trucks from the pre-1974 era or be thrilled by the throaty roar of big V-8 engines, built during the heyday of the great American muscle cars.

Whether you enjoy the display of nostalgic mint stock autos, are interested in classic models such as an opulent 1935 Auburn; or are intrigued by hot-rods and customized vehicles, Cruisin Grand has something for you. While the vehicles are the center of attention and the reason for all the Friday evening activity, Cruisin Grand is made even more enjoyable by the Disk Jockey spinning tunes of the Beach Boys, excellent restaurants with sidewalk dining and several live bands.

Grand Avenue is the heart of the Escondido Downtown Restoration Project. The area houses an eclectic mix of gourmet restaurants, art galleries and antique shops. Escondido was a farming community that has evolved into a modern city with all the expected amenities expected in a modern city but, with the distinct difference in that there are no slums. It is located along Interstate-15 about 35 miles north of its big sister, San Diego, and about 20 miles inland from Oceanside, California and the coast.

In addition to the great pre-1974 vehicles exhibited individually, each week a different car club is invited to display their pride and joys en-masse. There might be a large group of Ford V-8’s, a conglomeration of the classic 1955-1957 Chevy’s or the street might be filled with the Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars of the past.

Owners are usually nearby and are always willing to answer questions and to talk about their prized cars and trucks. Hoods are frequently open to display chromed engines which are works of art or to reveal stock engines that look like they have just rolled off the assembly line. Often the static displays bring back moments of the past such as a 1957 Ford equipped with a plethora of Scott picnic equipment ready for a jaunt into outdoor life of the 50’s.

Friday Evening Car Show

Friday Evening Car Show

Friday Evening Car Show

Friday Evening Car Show

Friday Evening Car Show

Friday Evening Car Show

Real Name
    John

Re: Friday Evening Car Show

Great shots. Did you try the menu at Vincent's?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wish I'd known about this a few years ago when i spent a week in San Diego (was attending a wedding). Got the train up to Oceanside on a couple of those days and it was wonderful. Aahh, that walk out along the pier and Ruby's diner at the end!!

Real Name
    Rick

Beautiful shots! Aside from the obviously nice images of cars, I especially like #2, with the couple side-by-side looking in, with their hands carefully behind them. Great street scene.

I'm like Donald: wish I had known about this. Up until last fall I was going to Carlsbad, CA, just about monthly on business travel for about 3 years, and stayed over Friday night half a dozen times. All I ever photographed was some coastline.

Cheers,
    Rick

Excellent shots, with a very nice warm glow to them - evening light perhaps? I normally do car shots at a show close-up to avoid all the messy details, but in your shots the street scenes give a lot of added value.

Real Name
    Rick

That's a great point, Rob. The title of the thread is perfect. Overall, the series isn't about the cars, it's about the car show, the cars in the street setting, and the people looking at them. Along those lines, Richard, maybe move #6 toward the front? The little sign about "look but don't touch" provides context for all the people who consistently have their hands behind their backs or in their pockets.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Paul

Out here on Long Island, we have several summer car gatherings where people show off their wheels. One is at a train station, which I have yet to attend this year so far and the other is at an old club on the beach, which is now just a parking lot.

After some time, the lot becomes full and becomes difficult for me to get some good pics, so I have to switch my game plan and shoot close up. At least it forces me to get creative.
    Last edited by Ramblinman; 14th June 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I think these are really nice pics and maybe it is somewhere I would like to go, it looks like a nice place.