Child in Belfast

Real Name
    John

Re: Child in Belfast

Nice capture and conversion.

Real Name
    Ian

Belfast has lots of negative connotations, and whilst I don't know what the OP was trying to achieve with this shot, the B/W treatment and somewhat 'lost' child does little to alter that. As such, I don't care for this 'snap' which seems to be as much about lamp posts and chimneys as it is about the child. Doesn't even have to be especially Belfast if the title wasn't there. If the child is the focus, then the composition could IMHO have been better.

Perhaps the Simple Minds - 'Belfast Child' title was the key?

Real Name
    John

It's interesting that there are no cars in the area.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I suppose that only someone familiar with Belfast would know that view in the background and immediately identify it as Belfast.

I like the whole idea behind the image, but as Ian suggests, I think a bit more pre-planning on a composition such as this would produce a better image. On the post-processing, I think this is one with which you could get quite aggressive with the sliders and really push up the contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    It's interesting that there are no cars in the area.
    Like many inner city areas of Scotland and I'm sure many other countries, the levels of car ownership will be very low.

Real Name
    Melania Arcese

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Belfast has lots of negative connotations, and whilst I don't know what the OP was trying to achieve with this shot, the B/W treatment and somewhat 'lost' child does little to alter that. As such, I don't care for this 'snap' which seems to be as much about lamp posts and chimneys as it is about the child. Doesn't even have to be especially Belfast if the title wasn't there. If the child is the focus, then the composition could IMHO have been better.

Perhaps the Simple Minds - 'Belfast Child' title was the key?

Thanks for your sugggestion!

Real Name
    J stands for John

What I find interesting about this photo is the contrast between tall lights and short child and I dislike things magically hanging in mid air like the branches on right.
    So whatever the title, which is incidental, the shot to me is this ....

Child in Belfast

edit
    One small point ... I wonder if this is an edited photo as with the positioning of the child I would expect her to be larger in relation to the base section of the nearest pole and the total absence of shadow around her feet
    Last edited by jcuknz; 9th July 2015 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    What I find interesting about this photo is the contrast between tall lights and short child and I dislike things magically hanging in mid air like the branches on right.
    So whatever the title, which is incidental, the shot to me is this ....

Child in Belfast

edit
    One small point ... I wonder if this is an edited photo as with the positioning of the child I would expect her to be larger in relation to the base section of the nearest pole and the total absence of shadow around her feet
    While I can understand your reasoning, you've totally removed the neighborhood from the shot and the image loses overall theme.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    While I can understand your reasoning, you've totally removed the neighborhood from the shot and the image loses overall theme.
    Then that suggest that the theme was wrong or the lampposts are a distraction, and the tree hanging in mid-air.
    But if you are correct then the over-powering nearest pole needs to go and the girl should face right.

Child in Belfast

Obviously I saw a different image to Melanie originally ... Sorry