Thread: Tripod forSmartphone

Real Name
    Zameel Ad Deen

Tripod forSmartphone

What should i buy?
    Tripod or Gorillapod or the LifePhorm or the Ultrapod?
    Again this is for smartphone photography.

Why?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Tripod forSmartphone

My first impression is "none of the above". In order to get a long exposure to work, you need something to hold your camera completely still for the duration of the exposure. To most photographers that means a device that is tall enough to operate the camera at a normal viewing level (think eye level) and that is rigid enough to eliminate any motion.

All of the devices you show here do not seem to meet the first criterion (which you need for compositional and practical reasons). I'm not sure if they are rigid enough to meet the second condition either. People that make long night time exposures usually have extremely rigid tripods that they stabilize with additional weights and are firmly anchored to the ground, often with spiked feet. The tripods you list are essentially "table top" units that in some cases can be attached to other more rigid objects (trees, posts, etc).

Real Name
    Zameel Ad Deen

Its not just about Long exposure works. I want to do Macrophotography and Make some timelapses as well. So Please tell me on that basis.

Real Name
    John

Not familiar with the last two but they must be similar to the Gorillapod, I'd recommend the Gorillapod based on its flexibility. If the others have the same then look at additional features; I believe the Gorillapod has a built in level. A tripod is fine but it just looks silly with a small device attached.

Real Name
    David

I was trying out the sort of photography you show in your other post. Suggestions to Improve!

I used a gorillapod knock-off (copy, fake, whatever term you want) with an entry level DSLR.

I got it setup pretty firmly on the concrete post of a barrier. I triggered the shutter with a remote rather than touching the camera (and used mirror lockup, which doesn't apply to your smartphone). I think you can get Bluetooth remote releases for smartphones???

After I got home, I noticed in the 3 second exposure, there is movement of the camera, but in the 6 second, there was none (or very little). I've cropped in on some writing to demonstrate. I'm not sure exactly what caused it.

3 second exposure
    Tripod forSmartphone

6 second exposure
    Tripod forSmartphone

Obviously this style of tripod can hold a camera steady... at least sometimes. Your phone will be lighter than my camera, so that may help too.

Real Name
    Ian

Did the barrier itself vibrate with the passing traffic on the first shot? It can happen.

Secondly, if IS/VR etc is switched on in a DSLR, but is tripod mounted, there will be some degree of movement as the camera tries to compensate for non existent movement.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by D L View Post
    Your phone will be lighter than my camera, so that may help too.
    Actually, this is a disadvantage; heavier = more mass, which means more resistance to vibration and movement. When I shoot under these conditions I will weight my tripod and have at times even used sandbags around the legs to ensure no tripod / camera movement.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Zameel View Post
    What should i buy?
    Tripod or Gorillapod or the LifePhorm or the Ultrapod?
    Again this is for smartphone photography.

Why?
    Found a photo of LifePhorm, looks cool but doesn't look very steady.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...hKQ&ajaxhist=0

and the Ultrapod.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8rg&ajaxhist=0

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by D L View Post
    I was trying out the sort of photography you show in your other post. Suggestions to Improve!

I used a gorillapod knock-off (copy, fake, whatever term you want) with an entry level DSLR.

I got it setup pretty firmly on the concrete post of a barrier. I triggered the shutter with a remote rather than touching the camera (and used mirror lockup, which doesn't apply to your smartphone). I think you can get Bluetooth remote releases for smartphones???

After I got home, I noticed in the 3 second exposure, there is movement of the camera, but in the 6 second, there was none (or very little). I've cropped in on some writing to demonstrate. I'm not sure exactly what caused it.

3 second exposure
    Tripod forSmartphone

6 second exposure
    Tripod forSmartphone

Obviously this style of tripod can hold a camera steady... at least sometimes. Your phone will be lighter than my camera, so that may help too.
    One interesting thing about the blur in the first image is that it up and down only with no sideways movement. Wonder why ?

Question for Zameel, can you get an attachment to mount a smartphone on a normal tripod plate ?

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

This May Be A Bit Of Overkill

I am wondering if you think that this is overkill for a smartphone tripod

Tripod forSmartphone

Oh well! Maybe one of these rigs might be a better choice...

https://www.google.com/search?q=smar...w=1280&bih=631

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: This May Be A Bit Of Overkill

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am wondering if you think that this is overkill for a smartphone tripod

Tripod forSmartphone
    Just the right thing Richard !

Dave

Real Name
    Jim

Regarding a shutter release for a smartphone, I know for iPhones, you can plug in the ear buds and use the push button to answer, hang up, adjust volume, to fire off the camera. If you have earbuds with this little feature, try firing off your camera phone with it.

Real Name
    Kathy

Just me, but I use an ultrapod for the tiny size/weight. Sure, it's not sturdy or a real tripod, but I'm mostly just doing selfies with it . It's not like my iPhone camera is my preferred nightscape shooting tool. For that I have big sensored cameras that let me swap lenses. Which kind of tripod you need is up to you and what you plan to shoot.

However, I would recommend getting an adjustable Glif to attach your phone to said tripod. I really like mine both as a tripod connector and as a stand. It's about the same size as my Ultrapod, and I just use the Ultrapod's velcro straps to pack them together.

Real Name
    Robin

I use a Joby GripTight Mount for the iPhone: http://joby.com/smartphones/griptight-mount

I have used it with my Gorillapod Hybrid: http://joby.com/gorillapod/hybrid with great results and I carry it all over with me but its not stable for long exposures. Its not bad if there's no wind but no what I'd recommend. I just put the iPhone with its mount onto my usual camera tripod when I need it to be stable and higher,