Thread: help for choose digital camera

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

help for choose digital camera

Hi All,

I want to buy a digital camera for taking very good family photos and sometimes video. Sometimes I like to make good portraits, landscapes. But also I like to learn photography.
    I am thinking to take this one:
    Nikon D3200 Kit 18-55 VR + 55-200 VR
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3200-.../dp/B007Y357RW
    (but the price is 580e)

But now I have noticed this one:
    Nikon coolpix p600
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...LPIX-P600.html
    (price 390e)
    I know that is has much smaller sensor, no manual lens settings and less quality, but is the difference big ?
    Can I take photos with shallow depth of field with this camera (blurred background)

Personally I will go with d3200 with kit lens, but I like to ask if probably P600 will get similar results, so I do not waist money.
    Last edited by darko; 24th June 2015 at 12:23 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: help for choose digital camera

Welcome to CiC. Would you mind clicking the "My Profile" tab at the top of this page and at least adding your first name and where you are from to your profile? We are a fairly informal group here at CiC and tend to go on a first name basis. You will also find a lot of tutorials and helpful people to get you going in your photography.

As for getting a camera; there are a lot more choices out there than the two you have highlighted; and I have nothing against Nikon (that what I use most of the time), but you should be looking at your subject matter and other issues before deciding on a particular photographic path. Most of the members on this site shoot DSLRs (like the D3200), but there are also quite a few members that shoot mirrorless cameras, superzooms (like the Coolpix) and point & shoot cameras.

If you are primarily going to shoot family photos, just about any camera (including the one in your smartphone) will do. Shallow depth of field (DoF) is another shooting parameter you mention, and there is certainly a link to sensor size, but many other parameters impact that as well. You should look at the tutorials on this site to understand this better.

I'm not sure if this helps in your decision making process at all...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Darko,

Welcome to the forums from me too.

As Manfred has said, there many other alternatives.

However, if you'd like to shoot with good control of Depth of Field (DoF), personally; I would steer away from the small sensor cameras (such as the P600).

The D3200 (DSLR) or any mirror less, interchangeable lens, camera with a sensor size/crop factor of 2 (or numerically less) will give much better experience.

I also find the motor controlled zoom lens a frustrating feature on (some) bridge and P&S cameras.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    John

When you mention money, wasting it is only one consideration when comparing these two cameras. There is also an accessory factor between the two cameras. If you desire new lenses then you'll spend more with the D3200, you are limited to what you have with the P600. Photos taken in lowlight should be considered, sometimes smaller sensors do not handle noise as well. Consider battery life of both cameras before making a decision, as you have access to the Nikon website check for comparisons and also available photo samples; what's shown on the Nikon site may not be the most challenging sources of images so consider sourcing photos elsewhere.

Real Name
    Dave

Hello Darko and another welcome to CiC.

Another consideration is the what you are happy to carry. I have a DSLR with a 18-55mm lens and also a 55-300mm telephoto plus a few filters, lens blower and cloth.

This is a very small set up and I use a small rucksack to carry it around but kit plus the rucksack weighs 4kg. This is not a huge weight but something to think about; is the convenience of a smaller, lighter camera an important factor for you?

On another photographic forum I have seen quite a few members who want to buy, or have bought, a smaller camera because they. " .... don't want to carry the DSLR and all the gear".

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

I'd like to add my welcome to the comments already expressed.

As Manfred remarked, if family photos are your main or only interest, just about any camera will be suitable.

And, as Dave remarked, "I also find the motor controlled zoom lens a frustrating feature on (some) bridge and P&S cameras." I agree with Dave.

There are basically five types of digital cameras available today:

The camera in a phone or an iPad. These are basic point and shoot cameras and, depending on the model phone or pad you have, the results vary. IMO, the phone/pad camera is quite decent for grabbing a picture when no other camera is available. However, I certainly would not select this type of camera as my only camera. Additionally, carrying a iPad or similar pad or pod around as a camera is somewhat unwieldy.

The basic Point and Shoot. My wife has a small Canon ELPH 100 which she likes quite a bit. This camera is smaller than many smart phones, has a zoom lens and produces very decent imagery for its size and price,. My wife likes the camera because it fits easily in her purse and is in a bright pink color While by virtue of its zoom lens, it is more versatile than a cellphone camera, It would not be my choice as an only camera.

The Bridge camera. As the name implies, the Bridge Camera bridges the gap between a basic P&S camera and the larger and heavier DSLR. I recently purchased a Canon SX50-HS which is quite typical of most bridge cameras. It has a non interchangeable zoom lens (with an amazing focal range of 24-1,200 mm equivalent. I like just about everything about this camera except that the electronic viewfinder is a bit difficult to use in bright sun. Since the LCD viewfinder is also difficult to use in the sun, that proposes a problem. However, that might just be a matter of getting used to the camera. I must admit that I have not given the new camera a thorough work through. It has some very important bells and whistles for me, including capability to shoot in RAW and capability to use a hotshoe flash. The Bridge camera doesn't require additional lenses. I would not be totally happy doing it, but I could work with this is my only camera.

DSLR (both crop and full frame versions)... These cameras are excellent. A Nikon representative once remarked, "If you are shooting with any modern DSLR camera with a good lens and are not getting excellent imagery, the fault lies with you!" I agree with this assessment. The downsides of the DSLR as compared with the bridge cameras are IMO: larger and heavier, usually more expensive and that they need additional lenses (can be expensive and relatively heavy to carry) to make them fully versatile. However, depending on the model and the lenses, you can shoot just about any subject in any venue. I find the viewfinder of my Canon 7D camera far better and easier to use than the viewfinder of my SX50-HS Bridge Camera.

Finally, mirrorless cameras are the new kids on the block and since I have not used one, I cannot make any valid comparisons with other type cameras. I only talk about equipment with which I have had some experience...

Real Name
    Dave

Just in case you aren't confused already......

Richard mentioned five types of camera, but bowed out on the fifth, which is "mirrorles", and that itself covers a wide range.

I have recently cut over from a dslr to the mirrorless range called "micro 4/3", which refers to the size of the sensor. This is a standard, adopted principally by Panasonic and Olympus, which offers interchangeable lenses in a smaller and lighter form than dslr's. The same bodies and lenses deliver hd video, as well as excellent quality stills. They may not be the right choice for you, but definitely worth a look.

Be careful in searching for "blurred backgrounds". Yes, full frame dslr's offer the shallowest depth of field, at the cost of price and weight. Producing those images will likely take a lot of time, learning and practice.

Dave

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am a bit late to this party too and what I have to say had already been said, so I just want to welcome you to this group...

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

Thank you all,

I just bought d3200 and for me its fantastic
    I have already used automatic mode to make portraits and compared with my phone camera is light years in difference.
    Now its time to make more professional pictures

Real Name
    Richard

Darko...

Congratulations on your new camera...

I suggest that you avoid Full Automatic mode and start using Programmed Auto. IMO, that is as easy as using Full Auto except that YOU not the camera decide on the ISO with which you will be shooting.

The Programmed mode will allow a lot more versatility than Full Auto and is an easier stepping stone to other modes such as Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Prioriy as well as Full Manual.

I would not suggest that you try full manual mode until you have gotten used to and are comfortable with the camera.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    Thank you all,

I just bought d3200 and for me its fantastic
    I have already used automatic mode to make portraits and compared with my phone camera is light years in difference.
    Now its time to make more professional pictures
    Enjoy, it's a fun camera, try it in Guided mode also for a bit more explanation of what the camera is trying to capture for you. For instance, if used to capture blurred backgrounds, you'll get suggestions for focal length and also be given a choice of apertures to select.

Real Name
    Darko Petreski

@rpcrowe Thanks for the advice, I will start using programmed auto