Thread: Keeping it safe

Real Name
    randy

Keeping it safe

I will going for a trip into the BWCA over 4th of July. This is a huge roadless area in northern Minnesota where the only practical means of transport is canoe. I am very concerned about keeping my kit dry and secure on the water.

The safe way would be to lock it away in the Pelican case, but the case is very heavy and cumbersome to portage between bodies of water. My second choice would be a 450 cc photographers backpack and place all sensitive equipment in sealable plastic bags.

The kit will be as follows:

Nikon D90
    Nikon D750
    Sigma 400mm f/5.6
    Nikon 70-200mm f/4
    Tamron 90 mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    assorted cards, filters, etc.

What would you do?

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Keeping it safe

I'd suggest a drybag or a couple of drybags. These are available from Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops but, since everyone has a Walmart near them, here is the Walmart selection...

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/dry-bags

Real Name
    randy

Thanks Richard. The 55L should fit the pack.....I am always surprised with what one can find at Walmart.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Pelican case thrown in water with line to canoe, works great.

Cheers: Allan

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Thanks Richard. The 55L should fit the pack.....I am always surprised with what one can find at Walmart.
    And hey if you have an iphone or android, you can apply for the Walmart Apps and each time you finished shopping, you can scan the little square thingie in your receipt and if the computer find a much cheaper price for the same item that you buy, you get that part of your money back, guaranteed ...(I learned about this last weekend talking to the frugal women in our group, so I asked Bill to apply for it for his iPad...)

Real Name
    E. James

I have a 20L Sea to Summit dry bag in new condition. I will send it to you, all for free, if you would like to have it. Just send me your address via private message.

Real Name
    randy

Thanks Ed, that would be put to good use, PM sent

Real Name
    Dan

You might find it useful to have a smaller dry bag also. When I am out in my kayak, I sometimes carry a body with a long lens in a dry bag in the cockpit so that I have easy access to it without risking its getting wet.

For portaging, there are now dry bags with shoulder straps: http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%...ge=1&q=dry+bag. I've never tried them.

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    You might find it useful to have a smaller dry bag also. When I am out in my kayak, I sometimes carry a body with a long lens in a dry bag in the cockpit so that I have easy access to it without risking its getting wet.

For portaging, there are now dry bags with shoulder straps: http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%...ge=1&q=dry+bag. I've never tried them.
    My plan is to use two dry bags for the two body/lens combo's while in the water for ease of access, camera bag itself with other lenses, etc. in a large dry bag. When portaging/hiking, I have the Lowepro with a rain cover

Real Name
    randy

I want to publicly thank Ed (Abitconfused) for the goodie box. It arrived today in fine condition. I am impressed by the quality of individuals on this site. Once this trip has concluded, I think it only right that these items be donated to one of the several scout or church camps in this area. I believe that such charity should rightly be paid forward.

Plans are coming together for the trip, I should say that I have coerced a coworker and his gal to accompany me on this, their first wilderness canoe trip ( note....to be read as porters). I have pretty much decided that the best course of action will be to stow the photography gear in the pelican case on the travel days in and out. I will be entering the BWCA at East Bearskin Lake and paddling about 4 miles to the first 70 rod portage to Alder Lake and begin seeking a campsite. We may need to make a couple more portages to find an acceptable site on either Canoe or Pierz Lake. Once we have established a base camp, the unwinding will commence, likely involving libations on the youngsters part, as I seek small feathered creatures most likely. Saturday will be the day to embark in the now empty canoes to Johnson Falls, said to be one of the more scenic falls in the B-Dub. Likely that we will inviting some of the Walleye, Lake Trout, and Smallmouth Bass to join us for supper.

Real Name
    Izzie

You better bring back a lot of shots from this trip or you will get the crap from me if you don't.
    And good luck...
    Have fun!

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    You better bring back a lot of shots from this trip or you will get the crap from me if you don't.
    And good luck...
    Have fun!
    I'm suspecting that there is are pretty good odds that I will get crap regardless , I will endeavor to remain upright.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    I'm suspecting that there is are pretty good odds that I will get crap regardless , I will endeavor to remain upright.
    Thanks for the laugh...you never fail to make smile from time to time...