Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The power, grace, and determination of an Equestrian C&C welcomed

Real Name
    Kim

The power, grace, and determination of an Equestrian C&C welcomed

Yesterday, I went to hang out with a woman and her horse. As I do know both of them, my goal was to get a dramatic shot which displays how I see them (my title). I wanted the only light on them to be the light coming from the very large windows on picture left. The downside was, I was not allowed in the ring, so this really limited my position, angles, etc. I have softened her face and neck as she is very sensitive about wrinkles and reluctant to let me shot her. This is full frame.

ISO 1000; 1/800s; F4; 200mm

The power, grace, and determination of an Equestrian  C&C welcomed

Real Name
    John

Re: The power, grace, and determination of an Equestrian C&C welcomed

I would have shot a bit wider, perhaps 135mm to get all of the horse within the composition. I do like the lighting on the subjects but would prefer the background go to black.

Real Name
    Kim

Thank you for commenting John. I do have one wider, but it didn't meet my goal as strongly; to show the power, determination and grace between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I would have shot a bit wider, perhaps 135mm to get all of the horse within the composition. I do like the lighting on the subjects but would prefer the background go to black.

I like that they both appear to be looking at the exact same spot in the ring.

Real Name
    Doug

I agree with John. I love the colors, lighting and the power of this photo, but I think it needs a darker background.

Real Name
    Dean

Beatiful shot, Kim! The dark background sets off the horse and rider very well. The team work between horse and rider is very obvious.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kim a very nice shot indeed. Great light on the horse along with positioning which makes this an great shot. The horse is the story, the rider in this case does not really add much to the strength of the shot. I know that you want to show the rider and horse together as you know both of them, that said I feel that she is really not part of the story. I feel that a stronger image could be gotten, I am sad to say by cropping a lot of the rider out, she is wearing a golf shirt, if one were to remove everything from above the last (lowest) button hole. The rider is still there but the main part of the story the horse is even more out in the fore front. That is just my thoughts on the subject, still a very strong image.

Cheers: Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 22nd June 2015 at 01:48 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kim - My thoughts are along the same line as Allan's; this shot is all about the horse, and the rider is simply a secondary feature in the image. The primary reason is that the bright white horse draw's the viewer's attention and the rider does not as she has faded into the background.

I might not be as tough on the rider as Allan, but I would definitely look at popping a heavy vignette on the image and make the rider disappear even more. I suspect you would have had more success had the horse been a darker colour.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

+1 to Allan's comments, Kim...

Real Name
    Kim

They are Alan. Technically she should be looking up more -- it's a bad habit of her's that she is working on.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I like that they both appear to be looking at the exact same spot in the ring.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for viewing and providing your insight Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    I agree with John. I love the colors, lighting and the power of this photo, but I think it needs a darker background.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Dean, as I know you have horses, I appreciate your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN01 View Post
    Beatiful shot, Kim! The dark background sets off the horse and rider very well. The team work between horse and rider is very obvious.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Allan. I'm confused as to why you think the rider is not part of the story and should be removed. Riding is a sport and without the rider doing all the "things" not visible to the naked eye, the horse wouldn't look like this; IMHO it's a dance between the two. If I were to crop as suggested, all I really lose is 1/2 of the rider (and then I feel I would need the horse in total as John suggested). I have done artistic renditions in the past where a good portion of the rider is removed from the image, but typically it's a much different shot. As I also ride, I may see this differently than someone who doesn't ride; that's what I am trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Kim a very nice shot indeed. Great light on the horse along with positioning which makes this an great shot. The horse is the story, the rider in this case does not really add much to the strength of the shot. I know that you want to show the rider and horse together as you know both of them, that said I feel that she is really not part of the story. I feel that a stronger image could be gotten, I am sad to say by cropping a lot of the rider out, she is wearing a golf shirt, if one were to remove everything from above the last (lowest) button hole. The rider is still there but the main part of the story the horse is even more out in the fore front. That is just my thoughts on the subject, still a very strong image.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for commenting Manfred. I understand your comment about the horse being white and that's what draws the eye first. As mentioned, the rider is sensitive about her age, so she doesn't want to be the primary subject. She's thrilled to have her eye go to the horse first as she adores him. Regretfully she only has one horse -- the white one. Any suggestions as to how to shoot them (both of them) in the future to get a better image -- he's glow outside too since he's almost white?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Kim - My thoughts are along the same line as Allan's; this shot is all about the horse, and the rider is simply a secondary feature in the image. The primary reason is that the bright white horse draw's the viewer's attention and the rider does not as she has faded into the background.

I might not be as tough on the rider as Allan, but I would definitely look at popping a heavy vignette on the image and make the rider disappear even more. I suspect you would have had more success had the horse been a darker colour.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Izzie - provided to my comments to Allan above.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    +1 to Allan's comments, Kim...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the image but not for the reason (the connection between horse and rider) that you prefer. Though not a cover shot, it's still a nice image because of the attention on the horse.

I wish there was complete separation between the rider's helmet and the background. That can be fixed during post-processing.

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Any suggestions as to how to shoot them (both of them) in the future to get a better image
    If the rider was wearing a white or light grey shirt, perhaps a stronger connection between rider and horse would be displayed. Any shooting situation that will provide you more control (as opposed to being prevented from entering the ring) would be a plus.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Yes Kim it is a dance whether it is a single rider and horse or a team pulling a plough in a field it is a dance. Why can a photographer who is also a rider take better images of this rider/horse dance it is because they often know what is going to happen before it happens and so are ready. The thing with this image is it is very personal to you, you want an image of your friend and her horse, the problem I see it that the rider looks more like they are just here sitting bolt upright and back from where the main point of interest is. Now if the rider had leaned forward and say gave the horse a pat on the neck now you would have had a killer shot, as is now no. I have no personal knowledge of the person, I am only looking for the strongest image possible, ask yourself if another person was in the shot one you did not know, would the image be stronger with them in as you have or more removed as I have suggested?

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for the suggestion about the helmet Mike.

I like the suggestion of a wardrobe change on her, in combination with what Allan mentioned above.

Yes, next time I go, I plan to go during off hours so I can have access to the ring. :-)

Thanks for viewing and commenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the image but not for the reason (the connection between horse and rider) that you prefer. Though not a cover shot, it's still a nice image because of the attention on the horse.

I wish there was complete separation between the rider's helmet and the background. That can be fixed during post-processing.

If the rider was wearing a white or light grey shirt, perhaps a stronger connection between rider and horse would be displayed. Any shooting situation that will provide you more control (as opposed to being prevented from entering the ring) would be a plus.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Allan, I now fully understand your comment/perspective. Thanks also for mentioning the example - her reaching out to touch the horse - visual examples are most helpful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Yes Kim it is a dance whether it is a single rider and horse or a team pulling a plough in a field it is a dance. Why can a photographer who is also a rider take better images of this rider/horse dance it is because they often know what is going to happen before it happens and so are ready. The thing with this image is it is very personal to you, you want an image of your friend and her horse, the problem I see it that the rider looks more like they are just here sitting bolt upright and back from where the main point of interest is. Now if the rider had leaned forward and say gave the horse a pat on the neck now you would have had a killer shot, as is now no. I have no personal knowledge of the person, I am only looking for the strongest image possible, ask yourself if another person was in the shot one you did not know, would the image be stronger with them in as you have or more removed as I have suggested?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kim - compositionally you three choices.

1. The rider is the subject and the horse is the "prop";

2. The horse and rider are the subject; and

3. The horse is the subject and the rider is the prop.

In your image, you took the third path; you've effectively made the image about the horse and the rider is almost superfluous, even though your stated aim was that the image was about the rider and the horse.

To get a shot of the "unit", you need to get the rider to stand out from the background (hint, the direction she is looking and the way her helmet blends into the background are your main problems). Visually, you have to give the rider more prominence (regardless of what the rider's feelings are about her looks / age). A brighter rider leaning forward and looking into the camera would help for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast