Thread: Downsizing a photo.

Real Name
    Bruce

Downsizing a photo.

For a week I have been pondering this question. When a photo is emailed, and you do not want that photo to have the potential to be enlarged (e.g. to a 5x7) what would a respectable size be to downsize this photo in terms of width, height, and pixels per inch (ppi)?
    I have reduced this question to the above variables; however is there something that my question is missing in order to have a definitive answer-if this is possible.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Re: Downsizing a photo.

You can downsize a photo to 2" x 1" and it will still look good on your monitor. If you change the pixels/inch your image will only be so large.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A number of commercial photographers I know have said the same thing; jpeg with decent amount of compression and a maximum dimension of 1600 pixels on the longest side. It looks decent on a computer screen, but it cannot be enlarged and printed except as a very small print.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    A number of commercial photographers I know have said the same thing; jpeg with decent amount of compression and a maximum dimension of 1600 pixels on the longest side. It looks decent on a computer screen, but it cannot be enlarged and printed except as a very small print.
    Manfred, thanks for the response. When you say 1600 pixels on the long side are you talking about the width on a horizonital shot, and the height on a vertical shot. I guess I am asking for clarification since I am ignorant on this subject.
    Thanks.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Manfred, thanks for the response. When you say 1600 pixels on the long side are you talking about the width on a horizonital shot, and the height on a vertical shot. I guess I am asking for clarification since I am ignorant on this subject.
    Thanks.

Bruce
    Correct.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am in the process of sending some of my images for both web and actual magazine content from an event my husband had last week. On the way home, I told him that I am not willing to send a large resolution but I will send 800 px on the longest side on 72dpi. They can work it out from there. I sent a test email on exactly what I said...In short, I got a response that the images I sent pixelated when zoomed. Of course it does! Someone called hubby in short that my images are so small. I have to explained my life away. Fancy talking to a snapshooter who couldn't care if there is a pole sticking on the head of a person in the shot. They all want me to give them SOOC shots. Towards the end, I ended up sending a 3500px on the longest side at 360dpi.

I am having PMS today because of that...800px on the longest side is about 2 x 1" plus the 72 dpi . It certainly looks good on my screen but a bugger of a thing to print on a white printer paper expanded to 7.5 x 10"...I just smiled and went up here to my den but as you can probably guess, I did not get away with it.
    Last edited by IzzieK; 17th June 2015 at 07:51 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Izzie, this whole question started when a person (who knew that I charge for my pics) requested that I email a particular photo to her so she could make copies. There was no way this was going to happen. Emailing the pic was no problem; however I would downsize the file to the point that any attempt that she made would result in pixilation.
    I informed her of this. As a result this particular photo was not taken.
    Then the question became academic. I posed the question on this thread for future reference.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You can downsize a photo to 2" x 1" and it will still look good on your monitor. If you change the pixels/inch your image will only be so large.
    John, thanks for commenting.

Bruce

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I keep things simple. Every image I make I automatically make a copy that is the same size as the native resolution of my monitor. If someone wants a copy for display on the Internet, that one works fine. If they want a copy for something else, they can explain their needs to me and I can then send a larger file if necessary.