Thread: Photoshop CC subscribers only - PS CC 2015 query

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Photoshop CC subscribers only - PS CC 2015 query

I got an apparent automatic update to CC 2015 this morning.

I clicked Update and after a longish time, it had installed a new app "Photoshop CC (2015)", but instead of "Open" button, it had a "Start Trial" button alongside.

A quick google seemed to suggest that this was a free upgrade, I assumed as part of continuing subscription (for which I pay about £8.70/month), like CC 2014 rolled out at no extra cost - so I clicked the button.

However, it seems I have started a 30 day trial of something that may cost me £17.xx/month to continue.

Since I'm not a Graphic Designer + I don't need loads of Stock images + or work on multiple platform = much of what's in PS CC 2015 is of no interest to me, although the haze filter might be useful.

Anyone know anything helpful?

TIA, Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Photoshop CC subscribers only - PS CC 2015 query

Dave,

Thanks for posting this warning.

I looked just now, and I get the following:

Did you select the "update all" button, or did you individually update PS CC?

There is a web page explaining the upgrade here: http://tinyurl.com/oahgwo3. It doesn't say anything about an end to the photographer's rate or a trial period.

And there is this annoying warning:

If you've installed third-party plug-ins, they may not work with the 2015 version of the apps. Contact your plug-in vendor for information about compatibility and updates.
    I will delay upgrading until someone figures this out.

Dan
    Last edited by DanK; 16th June 2015 at 01:37 PM.

Real Name
    randy

I just updated a coupla minutes ago. For what it is worth, I chose to update only those apps that I use, i.e.; Ps, Lr, Br. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have the whole Creative Cloud suite, and my hard drive is just churning away off and on. The CC update isn't telling me anything, so I suspect this is going to take some time.

I've shut down Bridge and have shut down the open CC applications and am waiting to see.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for posting this warning.

I looked just now, and I get the following:

Did you select the "update all" button, or did you individually update PS CC?
    Hi Dan,

Yes I did, thinking it would do 2015 and Bridge (the one hidden in Previous Versions) at same time - I don't have LR installed.

However, I still needed to do Bridge separately afterwards.

In the Creative Cloud App, I initially had a message saying I had "30 Days left" alongside the Photoshop CC (2015) - that has since disappeared FWIW

Also, your buttons don't say 'Start Trial', as mine did originally (probably in error, me thinks)

Thanks, Dave

PS; Dan - your link to "a web page explaining the upgrade" is actually just your image - I did look at Adobe and other places for guidance, but because I 'jumped too soon' (shoulda known better) there's not a lot out there (yet)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th June 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Dave,

Sorry--I copied something else to the clipboard after copying the address. Here it is.. Hopefully this will work. I fixed it in my original post.

Dan

Real Name

Thanks Dan,

That's a more helpful page than I found.

I am hoping that my "Trial" aspect was a temporary glitch in the update process.

It looks like, by inattention to detail, I have inadvertently removed by old versions by using Update All

I only really had one plug in; Neat Image, which I assume they'll get working with CC 2015 by the time I need to use it (fingers crossed).

Real Name
    Dan

It looks like, by inattention to detail, I have inadvertently removed by old versions by using Update All
    Even if you update them singly, you can turn this option on or off by selecting "advanced" from the dialog that pops up when you tell it to upgrade.

I gave up for now; their servers seem to be overloaded, which is unsurprising right after a major release. I'll wait for a few days.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I gave up for now; their servers seem to be overloaded, which is unsurprising right after a major release. I'll wait for a few days.
    I switched my PC off when I went out earlier and when I booted up again upon return, it updated CC 2015 (already). So your idea seems valid

Real Name
    Dan

just updated mine, both PS and LR, and they seem to be working fine. I haven't checked to see about plugins.

Real Name
    Carol

When downloading the update, you need to go to the advanced options tab that is in the middle of the message and then make sure to retain a copy of 2014... It is unfortunate that we are paying for a subscription to have updates and now we can't use them. I went right back to 2014 in order to be able to use my filters. I doubt if all of the vendors have had a chance to deal with this update --- plus, that means hours of work going back to the vendor sites and downloading all the software again - plus, what about all my presets and saved 'menus' say in Topaz and NIK? It looks like there are several good things in the update - but, I won't be using them any time soon.

Real Name
    Carol

I spent 2 hours in chat room and on the phone with Adobe this afternoon.... bottom line: you can copy and paste plug-ins from say 2014 to 2015 (not from older versions, i.e.PS6) BUT, they may not work yet as the software vendors may not have compatible upgrades to their plug-ins.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

FWIW, I have not updated yet, primarily due to cowardly personality...might do well to heed this...
    http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/...lications.html

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Fl Footlady View Post
    I spent 2 hours in chat room and on the phone with Adobe this afternoon.... bottom line: you can copy and paste plug-ins from say 2014 to 2015 (not from older versions, i.e.PS6) BUT, they may not work yet as the software vendors may not have compatible upgrades to their plug-ins.
    Super easy to do to. When Photoshop CC 2015 was installed (and Photoshop cc 2014) was uninstalled, the 2014 plugins directory ws left in place. So I just went to the old stub directory and copied my plugins and went to the c:/program files/adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/plug-ins and pasted the there.

I had to manually reconfigure my Imagenomic Portait 2 plugin, but that just took a few seconds more.

As I recall, I've had to do that every time there was a new release of Photoshop.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    FWIW, I have not updated yet, primarily due to cowardly personality...might do well to heed this...
    http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/...lications.html
    Of course unless you are into some really advanced video compositing work (motion graphics), you are unlikely to use After Effects.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Super easy to do to. When Photoshop CC 2015 was installed (and Photoshop cc 2014) was uninstalled, the 2014 plugins directory ws left in place. So I just went to the old stub directory and copied my plugins and went to the c:/program files/adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/plug-ins and pasted the there.
    That is (one of) the procedure(s) recommended on the Topaz site, too, but when I did it yesterday it caused problems. After upgrading PS CC 2015, it worked without any problems. But after replacing the plug-ins folder with that from CC2014 I ran into difficulties. I could open the app without any issues once. But when I tried to open it a second time, I got an alert that stopped CC2015 from booting. It said: could not find ONCoreFoundation9.dll. Re-install CC2015. I did that a couple of times, but it didn't work. I discovered that when I uninstalled CC2015 it left the pasted plug-ins folder in place. It wasn't until I deleted it and then reinstalled CC2015 that I overcame the problem. Maybe the paste procedure depends on what plugins you have in the folder.

Anyway, I uninstalled all plugins, reinstalled CC2015, then reinstalled all plugins and now everything works fine.
    Last edited by FootLoose; 29th June 2015 at 09:47 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

I had to manually reconfigure my Imagenomic Portait 2 plugin, but that just took a few seconds more.

As I recall, I've had to do that every time there was a new release of Photoshop.
    Thanks Manfred,

I thought I'd lost my Neat Image plug-in (and would have to download again), but as you say, the CC2014 Plug-ins folder (alone) had been retained when CC2014 was removed automatically, so I just copied it across and I have Neat Image working again now.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Greg - I can't comment on Topaz, as that is one set of plugins that I do not use.

Nik, Imagenomic and DxO Labs plugins transferred properly for me. This is perhaps another issue with Adobe that the information does not get out to the plug-in makers early enough to have a seamless way of either moving these across automatically or even better having instructions / software on the plug-in maker's sites that lets less technical users move things over on the launch day of the new version of the software.

I suspect that Adobe forgets that plug-ins are an important part of many users workflow. Shame on Adobe for that; it's not just about Adobe, it's about the users.

Real Name

One more tip for the unfamiliar; in my experience PS only tends to recognise things as being installed when starting up, so do the file copy when PS CC2015 is shut down, then start it up.

If you do it while PS is running, it almost certainly won't immediately appear - not until you shut it down and restart PS again.

I suspect that Adobe forgets that plug-ins are an important part of many users workflow. Shame on Adobe for that; it's not just about Adobe, it's about the users.
    Yes, although I can understand why they don't automatically copy the plug-ins across (from a liability viewpoint).

It wouldn't hurt if there was a message that popped up when you start the new version at least saying that although the previous version was un-installed, any plug-ins remain available on your HDD for you to copy ....