Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: rebel without a cause

rebel without a cause

Sometimes, negative space can mean so much...

rebel without a cause

Real Name
    John

Re: rebel without a cause

Nice use of line, space, and pattern.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Rob;

I really like the concept, and I agree that the geometric patterns on the floor add a lot. I do wonder if it's a little much on the "space" side? If you cropped out a little of the open space, it might make a better balance of the elements of the empty space, the rebel, and the group.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Myra

Rob, I like the negative space, but want to know what's happening at the top. It's like telling a person half a story. That poor man is on the perimeter of a sea of womenfolk. What or who is he looking for? Obviously, your photo works!

Myra

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Brilliant 'capture-of-the-moment'.

Re the question of too much space -- Mmm - debatable! To crop at the bottom would have meant changing the aspect ratio. And that would, in my view, reduce the impact.

Real Name
    Jeroen

I really don't think you should crop any of the bottom part. The lines on the bottom and the direction of the man's eyes draws you into the photo and tell a story on their own. The aspect ratio shouldn't be more square to me because it emphasizes the line on the bottom part.
    Fernando Cascais's work that I've seen here on the forums really made me appreciate the use of negative space. With a good eye for composition you can make your photos so powerful.

Did I mentioned how good this one is. I really think this is shot is a witness of your great photographer's eye for composition. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Rob, I like the negative space, but want to know what's happening at the top. It's like telling a person half a story. That poor man is on the perimeter of a sea of womenfolk. What or who is he looking for? Obviously, your photo works!

Myra
    Myra

I thought it worked because you can't see what either the group or the man are looking at. I empathise with him - not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Brilliant 'capture-of-the-moment'.

Re the question of too much space -- Mmm - debatable! To crop at the bottom would have meant changing the aspect ratio. And that would, in my view, reduce the impact.
    Thank you, Donald. I agree, the space cropped would change the whole impact of it. The long space emphasise his desire to get away, or at least the impression of him wanting to get away,

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I really don't think you should crop any of the bottom part. The lines on the bottom and the direction of the man's eyes draws you into the photo and tell a story on their own. The aspect ratio shouldn't be more square to me because it emphasizes the line on the bottom part.
    Fernando Cascais's work that I've seen here on the forums really made me appreciate the use of negative space. With a good eye for composition you can make your photos so powerful.

Did I mentioned how good this one is. I really think this is shot is a witness of your great photographer's eye for composition. Well done.
    I thought it a good example (and that's why I posted it) of breaking the rules effectively. Also, it was shot from above on a balcony, which always adds a different aspect to a subject. Thank you for the comments.

Real Name
    John

He's looking for all of the other guys who promised to attend the event.

Myra

Real Name
    Myra

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    He's looking for all of the other guys who promised to attend the event.
    Good one! Rob isn't going to tell us, so we'll have to make up stories. I did the same exercise with my grade 9 classes last week for spontaneous writing practice. One of the photos I used was taken in 1932 by Charles Emmit (sp?) and featured men sitting and eating their lunches on a grid/scaffold high above New York city. Scary!

Rob, I'll bet there are not too many men who couldn't relate to that man. I feel the same way when in a huge hardware store.

Myra
    Last edited by Maritimer1; 7th June 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Rob, I'll bet there are not to many men who couldn't relate to that man. I feel the same way when in a huge hardware store.

Myra
    Actually, as I recall, he was looking rather intently at a very attractive lady in the bottom right corner. Men!

I'll bet you don't object to camera stores?

Real Name
    Myra

If we had any large camera stores, browsing for hours would be great fun! I waste time with online window shopping

Myra