Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received my SX50 HS today

Real Name
    Richard

Received my SX50 HS today

I haven't had the time to play with it because we have also received 11 rescue dogs which we will be shuttling to the vet and parceling out to foster homes over the next day or two.

I did realize something. This little camera can focus remarkably close. It's going to be fun to play with....

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Received my SX50 HS today

have fun

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Enjoy - I'm looking forward to seeing your images from your new camera.

Real Name
    John

Nice, looking forward to seeing some images.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What they all say before me, Richard...and good luck.

Real Name
    Kathy

Snap! I just got a new fixed-lens camera, too (X100T)! Maybe it's something in the water supply in SD. Happy new gear!!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Snap! I just got a new fixed-lens camera, too (X100T)!
    I am very interested in what you two both think of your new cameras, as I continue to drive a PowerShot SX40HS and also a Fuji X100s.

WW

Real Name
    Brian

I haven't had the time to play with it because we have also received 11 rescue dogs which we will be shuttling to the vet and parceling out to foster homes over the next day or two.

I did realize something. This little camera can focus remarkably close. It's going to be fun to play with....
    Please do a review soonest. Thinking of buying one of these.

Real Name
    Richard

Brian...

The Price that I paid for this camera was really outstanding. I paid $178 for the camera or a total of about $200 USD with shipping and the approximately 8% California State Tax. I cannot believe it but, I went to the Canon Site today and the selling price was $369 plus shipping and state tax or about 2x what I paid.

I don't know what happened in the last week or two...

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I am very interested in what you two both think of your new cameras, as I continue to drive a PowerShot SX40HS and also a Fuji X100s.

WW
    Well, I love the X100T, of course. I'd rented an X100S for a week about a year and a half ago, hence the X100T purchase. The T handles pretty much like the S, and the images look exactly the same--same sensor/lens. Weirdly, it's taking me a bit longer to suss my way around the controls of the T--not sure why--maybe it's all the customization stuff, or maybe I'm just slow at the moment. I enjoy the refinements (mainly: parallax correction in the OVF), but the main deciding factor was the wi-fi capability, because I'd gotten an Instax SP-1 printer (see other thread). Surprisingly, I even got the geotagging with the Fuji app to work. Sadly, I really REALLY prefer the Standard (Provia) processing to Classic Chrome, so that's utterly wasted on me. The hybrid viewfinder is 90% of why I wanted the camera, and I'm using the OVF most of the time. I feel very retro if I'm shooting with the OVF and have the camera set to B&W.

Oh, and I got the silver. What pushed me over, honestly, was the current $200 discount, since that pretty much made it the same price as a used one. The camera's probably wasted on me, as I'm mostly just doing pretty flower shots, walkaround, and social shooting with it at the moment (not being a street shooter of any kind), but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Snap! I just got a new fixed-lens camera, too (X100T)! Maybe it's something in the water supply in SD. Happy new gear!!
    Congratulations to you both...it is always nice when you got new toys to experiment on first ... to satisfy the excitement of waiting after spending on your credit card. Geez...I've loved saying that.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Well, I love the X100T, of course. . .
    Thank you. I read with interest on the other about your Printer acquisition.

I'll keep an eye out for any further comments or new threads from you (re: Fuji) and Richard (re: SX50HS).

WW

Real Name
    Richard

I am really behind the power surve with the additional rescue dogs our organization has accepted (I do a couple of runs to the vet each day) and the fact that I have to assemble a prefabricated (Chinese Made) chicken coop as well as modifying a chicken coop that we already have. The Chinese Coop needs some work as all the parts don't fit together as well as they should. We have six chickens now and need two coops because there is an age difference between four hens and the latest pair. I also need to construct a chicken run from PVC pipe and mesh screening.

I have been procrastinating these tasks and don't feel really good to take out the little SX50 HS and put it through its paces. I suspect that my wife would mention (rightly so) that while I don't have enough time for the chicken coops and the run, I do have enough to play with my new camera.

We have let the four older hens out in the fenced in area in which we plan to have them. They walked around for a while and then went back into the coop on their own accord. I will bring the SX50 HS down there tomorrow and do some tests; shooting the chickens walking around. Maybe I'll also shoot the two new chickens also. I can get away with shooting our chickens, cats and dogs (not all at once thankfully) and my wife won't feel annoyed...

However, I could tell my wife that my friends on CIC are waiting for the mini review but, I seriously don't think that would influence her a bit!

Real Name
    Brian

I am really behind the power surve with the additional rescue dogs our organization has accepted (I do a couple of runs to the vet each day) and the fact that I have to assemble a prefabricated (Chinese Made) chicken coop as well as modifying a chicken coop that we already have. The Chinese Coop needs some work as all the parts don't fit together as well as they should. We have six chickens now and need two coops because there is an age difference between four hens and the latest pair. I also need to construct a chicken run from PVC pipe and mesh screening.

I have been procrastinating these tasks and don't feel really good to take out the little SX50 HS and put it through its paces. I suspect that my wife would mention (rightly so) that while I don't have enough time for the chicken coops and the run, I do have enough to play with my new camera.

We have let the four older hens out in the fenced in area in which we plan to have them. They walked around for a while and then went back into the coop on their own accord. I will bring the SX50 HS down there tomorrow and do some tests; shooting the chickens walking around. Maybe I'll also shoot the two new chickens also. I can get away with shooting our chickens, cats and dogs (not all at once thankfully) and my wife won't feel annoyed...

However, I could tell my wife that my friends on CIC are waiting for the mini review but, I seriously don't think that would influence her a bit!
    Over here (Philippines) if you buy Chinese you figure on fixing it at least once and modifying the fit on anything that needs assembling. As for keeping your fair lady happy... after 20+ years with the same lady fair, I figure that is a good idea.

Real Name
    Richard

Here are a couple of first impressions...

Nice and light
    Although it is small, the camera fits my hand
    I do not like power zoom - it might take some getting used to
    Here is my first shot - taken in my office

27.8 mm (equivalent)
    Programmed exposure
    ISO 400
    f/5
    Hand held at 3/10 second approximately 1/3 second
    Opened with Adobe RAW (I had to install ACR 7.3 to my CS6)
    I used NIK Dfine and NIK RAW Sharpener
    I then increased the structure 50%
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th June 2015 at 04:43 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

This was a test shot in the evening out in my yard of Charlie the rescue goldendoodle. I used a lightweight Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod (.64 pound or .29 KG) that I bought specially for using this camera at longer focal lengths. I paid less than 15 U.S. Dollars for this monopod. However, I would not want to use this monopod with a full size DSLR; it is just to lightweight and not quite sturdy enough.

This is what the test looked like at approximately 24mm equivalent... ISO 400, f/4 @ 1/125 second

This is the shot at equivalent of approximately 661mm using 1/20 second. I braced my shot on a light monopod for this shot.
    ISO 400 aperture f/5.6... Light was failing and Charlie was in the shadow of the oak trees.

NOTE: I say an approximate equivalent focal length because the SX50 HS equivalency factor is approximately 5.6 (not exactly 5.6)
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th June 2015 at 04:09 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Detail is amazing! That's top class work at 1/20s (even using a monopod, I find there can still be a bit of wobble)

I've been using my SX40 HS for quite a while and I am still amazed at the reach these cameras have and the quality, even at ISO1600 - I am sure the SX50 is better.

WW

Great yard! - very peaceful.

Real Name
    Richard

This camera seems to have a really excellent IS system. See my shot at about 1/3 second (hand-held) above.

My standard procedure with a monopod is to slip the strap around my wrist and pup pressure down on the monopod. With this tiny and very light Manfrotto monopod, I have to be a bit more careful. Still, it is a very nice addition to the SX50 HS at a very low price...

What I don't like about the SX50 HS is the power zoom. I can control a manual zoom a lot better. However, this just might be a factor of a learning curve.

BTW Bill... I have a friend who does quite a bit of shooting with the SX40 and he has upgraded the firmware so that camera is able to shoot in raw.

I am going to play with this camera and my little 270EX flash tonight at a birthday party. I am anxious to see what the results are. I normally absolutely hate that type of photography!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th June 2015 at 04:04 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice quality to the captures.

Real Name
    Richard

ISO 160, 1/800 second @ f/5.6, 98 mm equivalent. Bright sun at noon...

BTW: I am letting this portion of my lawn go dormant. I expect to remove the turf at mid-month and replace the water wasteful grass with Xeriscape. Dead/dry turf is less expensive to remove because the dump charges by weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast