Thread: An Evening on the Bay

Real Name
    Joe

An Evening on the Bay

An Evening on the Bay

Real Name
    raymond

Re: An Evening on the Bay

Lovely capture , the yellow and blue colors are vivid , I would consider somr cropping from the two sail boat to the left more emphasis on the tug boat

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like this shot the way it is actually...(sorry, Raymond...) the sun coming from the right hitting the boat and the building afar is what makes the image very attractive to my eyes. Maybe do a selective contrast to the sky to emphasize the cloud that is hanging over the scene to be more dramatic? That might ruin the shot though because it looks more like a slight misty shot. Oh I don't know....I think I am confusing myself now...

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Joe I agree with Raymond about a crop from the RHS and from the top to make the tug boat stand out more. IMO you can find the best frame by trying different crops.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - your white point and black point are off in this image; and that ends up giving you a fairly muddy feel to this shot.

If you fix just that, you'll find you have a much crisper, cleaner and less hazy looking shot (assuming that is what you want).

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Lovely capture , the yellow and blue colors are vivid , I would consider somr cropping from the two sail boat to the left more emphasis on the tug boat
    Thanks Raymond.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Joe - your white point and black point are off in this image; and that ends up giving you a fairly muddy feel to this shot.

If you fix just that, you'll find you have a much crisper, cleaner and less hazy looking shot (assuming that is what you want).
    Thanks Manfred. I am not sure what the black point and white are. Are they adjustments of the black and white sliders? Not sure how to fix this. Your further commenwoukd be most helpful. Thanks.

Real Name
    John

My thoughts would be to crop some of the sky, image looks too centered.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Joe I agree with Raymond about a crop from the RHS and from the top to make the tug boat stand out more. IMO you can find the best frame by trying different crops.
    Thanks Binnur. I will try that. Not sure if the sky is adding anything to the shot anyway.......

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like this shot the way it is actually...(sorry, Raymond...) the sun coming from the right hitting the boat and the building afar is what makes the image very attractive to my eyes. Maybe do a selective contrast to the sky to emphasize the cloud that is hanging over the scene to be more dramatic? That might ruin the shot though because it looks more like a slight misty shot. Oh I don't know....I think I am confusing myself now...
    Thanks Izzie. I am thinking if cropping some of the sky......? I don't know.....😬!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    My thoughts would be to crop some of the sky, image looks too centered.
    Thanks John. Just above the tallest buildings to maintain the skyline? The sky is not adding anything to the shot anyway!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I see you use Lightroom and I'm not totally sure where this adjustment can be made in Lightroom. I'm sure on the the Lightroom experts on this site can point it out.

The first image is a view of the histogram on the original image. Notice how little black values are on the left side and how few white values are on the right side.

An Evening on the Bay

Take the black point on the left and slide it right until it gets to the point where there is significant content. Do the same on the right hand side with the white pont. Then adjust the midpoint to get the "exposure" you want.

An Evening on the Bay

Notice how the image suddenly has a bit more contrast and "pop".
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th May 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

I see you use Lightroom and I'm not totally sure where this adjustment can be made in Lightroom. I'm sure on the the Lightroom experts on this site can point it out.

The first image is a view of the histogram on the original image. Notice how little black values are on the left side and how few white values are on the right side.

An Evening on the Bay

Take the black point on the left and slide it right until it gets to the point where there is significant content. Do the same on the right hand side with the white pont. Then adjust the midpoint to get the "exposure" you want.

An Evening on the Bay

Motice how the image suddenly has a bit more contrast and "pop".
    Yes! It looks much brighter and clearer! Thank you!

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Manfred for your input. I have tried to duplicate what you did using Lightroom, but there must be something missing either in my understanding of what you have demonstrated or something missing in the Lightroom handling of this. I am hoping that a Lightroom expert will comment and help get me on the right track.
    Lightroom experts your comments are solicited.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Thanks Manfred for your input. I have tried to duplicate what you did using Lightroom, but there must be something missing either in my understanding of what you have demonstrated or something missing in the Lightroom handling of this. I am hoping that a Lightroom expert will comment and help get me on the right track.
    Lightroom experts your comments are solicited.
    You can set the black/white points while in Development mode through the right handside Basic panel. For an image such as this you can also try the clarity slider; try each method separately to see which one you prefer.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You can set the black/white points while in Development mode through the right handside Basic panel. For an image such as this you can also try the clarity slider; try each method separately to see which one you prefer.
    Thanks John.
    Are you referring to the white and black sliders under basic? I use the clarity slider frequently.
    PS. I moved the 'clarity slider over to 100 and was able to get a lot more 'pop'. I have also tried a more aggressive crop:-
    An Evening on the Bay
    Last edited by joebranko; 29th May 2015 at 07:43 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Thanks John.
    Are you referring to the white and black sliders under basic? I use the clarity slider frequently.
    Hi Joe,

Yes, under basic.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - in the Develop Module, grab the handles on the histogram and slide them. That seems to be as close as it comes to the Photoshop approach.

Real Name
    Joe

Joe - in the Develop Module, grab the handles on the histogram and slide them. That seems to be as close as it comes to the Photoshop approach.
    Yes, that seems to work. Thanks again Manfred!