Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flower PP

Flower PP

I took this flower shot yesterday and had some time to play with it this morning. In editing I was trying for something of a fine art look. Is it too much yellow, should it be lighter/darker, did I go overboard, should I scrap it and try again???

Any comments or critique is welcomed.

Flower PP

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Flower PP

Colors...I like the yellow but, maybe a little more contrast. Try a square crop for more room on the sides.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like yellow too, Rita, but I agree with you about going overboard...even if this is an effect. My suggestion is to try another background and selectively mask the flower, right click and select reverse then you can change the background colour to a more subtler version. I am not criticizing, mind you...if you like a yellow background that is fine, BUT it should not be the same strength as your flower. In this instance the flower is blending to the background....

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Rita. I like what you did, it looks artistic really The image has a highkey look and IMO it would look better in B&W. I would reduce the strong yellows a bit at the lower right part ot the image though for a better look.

Real Name
    John

Very nice, has a very airy, pastel art look to it. If you are pleased so far, take a few days away from the image and revisit with fresh perspective.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Chauncy, I agree with you on needing more contrast. On the original the petals came to the sides like it is here but I will look at extending the canvas and see how that works.

Izzie, you can criticize all you want. When I post I am not looking for a pat on the back but too learn.

Binnur, I am going to work on a different version that I have in mind. Not B&W but far more subtle. It will be a couple of days before I get it done but I will post when I finish it.

John, this advice to come back to it later can help with images

Real Name
    raymond

For me as you stated too much yellow , missing a contrasting element in it .

Real Name
    Matt

I really like it, I'm not sure about adding contrast because I think the lack of detail works well here.

I would like to see a B&W version though.

Raymond, thanks for commenting.

Matt, I have a long shift for work today but, I will work on this image tomorrow (hopefully) and I will post the results

Real Name
    Stu

Rita - I think the outcome is an incredibly artistic photograph. I really like the subtle transition from the yellow flower to the background.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like yellow too, Rita, but I agree with you about going overboard...even if this is an effect. My suggestion is to try another background and selectively mask the flower, right click and select reverse then you can change the background colour to a more subtler version. I am not criticizing, mind you...if you like a yellow background that is fine, BUT it should not be the same strength as your flower. In this instance the flower is blending to the background....
    +1

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorstu View Post
    Rita - I think the outcome is an incredibly artistic photograph. I really like the subtle transition from the yellow flower to the background.
    I agree with Stu; let it basically as is; do not add contrast or a different background. Some minor "twitches" to the left edge , down from the petal, where the yellow is just a touch too bright to definitely lead the eye from "saturated" colour in the right lower corner along the direction of plant to the left upper corner, with lighter yellow.
    Erwin

Real Name
    Gayathrie Senaratne

nice

Real Name
    Raj

Excellent shot. B&W will look good too but if you want to keep it in colored then how about adding more colors to stamen and make it a bit red to create more contrast between the colors.

Stu, Kris, Erwin, Gayathrie, and Raj, thank you for commenting. I will do some work on this tomorrow.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Rita, I do have a passion for somewhat darkish shots Bearing that in mind a little less yellow would work for me. I like the crop and the composition. Perhaps something like this? Sepia rather than B&W
    Flower PP

Brian, I like your edit. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

My problem with my editing of the image is that I have a vision for it that I am not reaching in PP. A case of vision and skills are not quit lining up

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice edit Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Hi Rita, I do have a passion for somewhat darkish shots Bearing that in mind a little less yellow would work for me. I like the crop and the composition. Perhaps something like this? Sepia rather than B&W
    Flower PP

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Brian, I like your edit. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

My problem with my editing of the image is that I have a vision for it that I am not reaching in PP. A case of vision and skills are not quit lining up
    Hi Rita, I understand that feeling. I also believe that if you can see it then the better pp software programs can help you to create it. I use Gimp for most of my pp. I simply created and applied a Sepia mask to your shot then I enhanced the edges by using the neon edge detection option.

Here is a link to the sepia mask tutorial (with on page links to other tutorials and even to an Adobe Photoshop tutorial page)

False modesty aside people have been commenting on how my shots have improved of late. Some of that is that my skills with the camera have improved. However the vast majority of the improvement comes from increased pp skills.

I have also found that the painting techniques of the masters can successfully be adapted and applied to photography.

Good luck.

Real Name
    Brian

A simple sepia tone mask with a low intensity neon edge detect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast