Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Jay shots...for C&C please...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Blue Jay shots...for C&C please...

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Hi Izzie,

I saw these this morning and was exceptionally impressed with how sharp your focus was and the beautiful detail you captured in the Blue Jay! I noticed the noise, mostly in the background but didn't have time to comment until now.
    Thank you for taking the time...

I agree with Binnur about noise reduction. I wonder if the noise was a result of your having to lift exposure and shadows? If yes, next time around check your histogram and push your exposure as far to the right as you can without clipping anything. At ISO 1250 with your camera I don't think noise should be so evident with small size images. With my Eagles I've learned that at higher ISOs if I underexpose even a little bit, noise is too much of a problem and I end up deleting the image.
    I was actually taking my chances on higher ISO as per your advice last time on my post about sunlight shoots and it was very bright at the time but the bird feeder was under the shadow of the tree...I did not change my ISO so I can get good shutter speed.

Or due to post processing? When I post process birds photographed at higher ISO's I confine my post processing to the bird only, ie; sharpening, contrast, clarity, vibrance, etc.. and try to avoid touching the background, and use NR on the sky/water only...[\QUOTE]

That was exactly what I did on these shots -- contain the pp on the birds only, hence the noise which I did not really took note of before.

My favourite of this set are #2 and #3 for the compositions, but especially #3 because the Blue Jay is looking at you.
    Thank you...

While that bird feeder is pretty I wonder if you could capture a shot with a simpler background by placing your bird feed, or acorns, or a few of the bugs stored inside your freezer on that tree/log/wood (without the twigs in the background) set up so you can be close to your bird but with the background farther away... Or perhaps buy a bird bath adorned with acorns and insects? We don't have those beautiful birds where I live but I read that they like bird baths.

Or alternatively just hang the bird feeder with some greenery in the far distance and capture the bird and feeder without the wood/twigs in the background. Trying to think of ideas for a less busy background as I write, but I'm especially fond of the bird bath idea.
    I love that bird feeder on the banister of my deck before but the chipmunk found the feeder too so it went back to the hanger under the tree. This afternoon I found the chipmunk found some seeds that the birds dropped at the rock formation there. So that feeder will be moved near the bird bath by the pine tree where it is farther than any background and twigs, maybe just one or two if I can find a stand for it. Or not. the bird bath will be better as it is nearer where I can take my tripod and wait a few sittings to watch them birdies and take shots. Good idea ... my bird bath is near the irises and my bird feeder is about two meters away...they belong near each other...I will implement that as soon as daylight comes, after I had walked Roxie.

See for info on Blue Jays
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/lifehistory

All lovely poses/moments... And #2, 3, 4,5, gorgeous colours, nice detail, beautifully focused and sharp (before the noise reduction to the best of my recollection). With #3 being my favourite. I think you're progressing wonderfully with your birds! Well done, Izzie.
    Thank you for taking the time to comment again. I am still waiting for your shot uploads...I had learned a lot today and ideas for my bird shoot, chipmunk shoosssts and all that because of that bird feeder...one day the squirrels will find that the bottom of the feeder down the ground is another resource for feeds. 'do appreciate your comments, feedback and critiques.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by ied View Post
    Beautiful shots Izzie. Such nice & sharp. Great detail. May I suggest you prune the twigs from the branch
    in #6. Otherwise you will find that the next one ( any bird )will position itself behind these twigs which ruin your image.
    Ask me how I know.
    Irene
    I already did...I have some sparrows that were in the middle of the twigs. I like it when it was just a simple one but my stepson decided he's going to cut some more branches off our yard trees. I was choosing the best one between those that he put on the rock formation there...

I am practicing on sparrows some part of the day on the my new lens btw...I will get on to choosing one or none. I'll see what I can do tomorrow...thank you for passing by and commenting and the feedbacks are great.

Real Name
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post

I was actually taking my chances on higher ISO as per your advice last time on my post about sunlight shoots and it was very bright at the time but the bird feeder was under the shadow of the tree...I did not change my ISO so I can get good shutter speed.

I am still waiting for your shot uploads...
    Hi Izzie,

When I check out your exif data for the 3rd image I see
    f/9 SS 1/1000 sec ISO 1250 Focal length 500mm Exp Comp + 2/3

I can't see if you used Manual mode or Aperture priority.

1/1000 second is the fastest shutter speed that I've seen you use on your bird images, and for a hand held shot at 500 mm I think it helped you capture sharp images. Exp Comp of +2/3 at a fixed ISO using aperture priority would lower your shutter speed to capture the correct exposure. Exp Com of +2/3 in manual mode with auto iso would increase your ISO to capture the correct exposure - so if you were in manual mode with auto ISO your camera was changing the ISO.

Of course, lower iso's are preferable and more noise seems evident with dark birds/higher dynamic range with higher iso's than with light birds but I thought your camera would show less noise at the iso's you used.

Here is a link that I find helpful...
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...-auto-iso.html

I will find the time to upload a few birds for you sometime this week, trying for today. I've been working extra hours and haven't had much free time to get out and photograph birds, so perhaps I will include a couple of my favourite pelicans to share.

I guess you missed my joke about bugs from your freezer... Just FYI, I was joking but I'm one of those folks who miss punchlines which likely means my jokes are just as bad.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 26th May 2015 at 03:35 PM.

Real Name
    John

A very nice series, Izzie. Although I like all the shots, it is the sequence and your commentary that really makes it.

John

Great shots Izzie, I most like #s 2 & 3. They are such a common bird (and in the same family as the crows, Corvidae and are consider to be one of the more intelligent birds) yet their colors are amazing, which you've captured nicely.
    Growing up my mother used to use a clothes line, and the squeaky noise of the clothes line being reeled in or out bears a striking resemblance to the call of the blue jay. Even today when I hear the jay's squeaky call I can picture my mother hanging clothes on the line. Thanks for the memories.

Real Name
    Izzie

Hi Izzie,

When I check out your exif data for the 3rd image I see
    f/9 SS 1/1000 sec ISO 1250 Focal length 500mm Exp Comp + 2/3

I can't see if you used Manual mode or Aperture priority.
    I am still a klutz when it comes of Aperture priority...I use manual on all my shots and on occasions I will use Shutter Priority though only in airshows and my husband's flying events. I have been reading about it it though...no practice yet..still on the read mode. I know it is easy, but this brain is hard to teach other styles. It is too stubborn!!!

1/1000 second is the fastest shutter speed that I've seen you use on your bird images, and for a hand held shot at 500 mm I think it helped you capture sharp images. Exp Comp of +2/3 at a fixed ISO using aperture priority would lower your shutter speed to capture the correct exposure. Exp Com of +2/3 in manual mode with auto iso would increase your ISO to capture the correct exposure - so if you were in manual mode with auto ISO your camera was changing the ISO.
    I had put my camera setting to Auto ISO yesterday but haven't picked it up yet due to some more reading and also post processing my Ground Turtle sequence...

Of course, lower iso's are preferable and more noise seems evident with dark birds/higher dynamic range with higher iso's than with light birds but I thought your camera would show less noise at the iso's you used.
    I noticed a change of ISO to 12500 while I was moving my lens about after I set it to Auto ISO...I think it is too much. There is a setting for limiting the setting to say, 1250 so I think I will go for limitations instead of the max. Maybe the noise is dependent on how much one zooms to get closer in PP. I don't know...

Here is a link that I find helpful...
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...-auto-iso.html

I will find the time to upload a few birds for you sometime this week, trying for today. I've been working extra hours and haven't had much free time to get out and photograph birds, so perhaps I will include a couple of my favourite pelicans to share.
    Thanks for the link I was reading it yesterday after I saw your post...but didn't have time to log in as I was busy reading articles and the like on reducing noise, brushing in sharpness and all that...

I guess you missed my joke about bugs from your freezer... Just FYI, I was joking but I'm one of those folks who miss punchlines which likely means my jokes are just as bad.
    Oh no...I didn't missed the punch line. In fact I was smiling about it because my next posting is, hopefully, funnier where I mentioned putting my bugs in the freezer. In fact I have one there now for 2 days waiting to be shot (with my camera I mean...) I have to think of something funnier than this one I am going to upload now...soon....

Again, thanks for the added feedbacks...'am learning so much from your. Thanks for giving me your time...again.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRostron View Post
    A very nice series, Izzie. Although I like all the shots, it is the sequence and your commentary that really makes it.

John
    Thanks John...if anything my commentary at least made it for you to comment...'I do appreciate your passing by very much and giving me a feedback...watch for the next episode on my post...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Great shots Izzie, I most like #s 2 & 3. They are such a common bird (and in the same family as the crows, Corvidae and are consider to be one of the more intelligent birds) yet their colors are amazing, which you've captured nicely.
    Growing up my mother used to use a clothes line, and the squeaky noise of the clothes line being reeled in or out bears a striking resemblance to the call of the blue jay. Even today when I hear the jay's squeaky call I can picture my mother hanging clothes on the line. Thanks for the memories.
    Oh goody!! I am glad you like my shots, Jack...and I am glad they reminded you of your mom...nostalgic memories are harder to match...

Clotheslines? I still have (like many others) our Hills Rotary clothes line in my backyard in Oz. I like that better than the dryer we use at home here in the US. I like the smell of sundried laundry, especially socks.

Real Name
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post

I noticed a change of ISO to 12500 while I was moving my lens about after I set it to Auto ISO...I think it is too much. There is a setting for limiting the setting to say, 1250 so I think I will go for limitations instead of the max. Maybe the noise is dependent on how much one zooms to get closer in PP. I don't know...

Thanks for the link I was reading it yesterday after I saw your post...but didn't have time to log in as I was busy reading articles and the like on reducing noise, brushing in sharpness and all that...
    Hi Izzie,

I'm happy to know that you didn't miss my punchline...

With respect to Auto ISO you can set the maximum you wish and also the minimum shutter speed for which it kicks in... Very handy for photographing birds in flight.

In this set of images I see your ISO as 1250 which I think you should be able to get away with, with your camera without using noise reduction. Cropping, lifting exposure and shadows, adding contrast etc all make noise more visible.

You're doing great. Keep at it!

Real Name
    Izzie

I will do that as soon as I can...cooking mode right now as it nearly 6pm...have to feed the master and the doggie...
    Hi Izzie,

I'm happy to know that you didn't miss my punchline...

With respect to Auto ISO you can set the maximum you wish and also the minimum shutter speed for which it kicks in... Very handy for photographing birds in flight.

In this set of images I see your ISO as 1250 which I think you should be able to get away with, with your camera without using noise reduction. Cropping, lifting exposure and shadows, adding contrast etc all make noise more visible.

You're doing great. Keep at it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12