Thread: Hanging Out with the Lads....

Real Name
    Marie

Hanging Out with the Lads....

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Hanging Out with the Lads....

Hi Marie IMO the small island in the FG makes a nice image on its own. I would crop the green part in the BG and leave only the small island. I would also sharpen the image with some radius to add a little structure.

Real Name
    John

Nice, I would try to get a closer look also; although I hate to crop.

This image looks different when viewed at full screen size and the fine details become more noticeable; so based on that, I wouldn't crop.

The only very slight change which I would consider is to tone down the top left corner a fraction. I find the brightness there to be a little distracting. Just the yellowish soil area.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I wouldn't crop either...I like the image the way it is...you must be on a higher elevation to shoot the whole scene...just wondering...

Oh btw, your title, does that refer to the hippos or to the birds???? Cute.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Surely both birds and hippos are hanging out respectively ... I would crop to below the left hand green bank and a bit off the bottom and ambivalent regarding cropping from the left as well .... what you would have got with twice as much reach as you used here. I think you could almost do it with what you have here ... chopping the tree doesn't bother me with your title.
    If you did such a crop I think your would need to darken the resulting left top corner area.
    But in suggesting that I know I am biased towards tight framing

Real Name
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MarieV View Post
    Many thanks Binnur, John, Geoff, Izzie and J for all your helpful suggestions. The image was taken at quite a distance away using my Fuji x100s so no possibility of zooming in (love the camera for travelling but always regret not taking full camera gear). I did try cropping more but was beginning to lose clarity. Geoff, I agree that the image is different when viewed full screen as to what is displayed in my posting and perhaps you could advise me on what is the best method (aspect ratio) to use when cropping. I am using the Aperture pp software.

Real Name
    Matt

Nice image Marie, a good capture.

The only crop I would make is a slight one from the left as that tree distracts me a bit.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Marie I haven't thought of Matt's crop option before but IMO it is the best solution for the image. Because the green at the top makes a nice framing this way .

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Nice image Marie, a good capture.

The only crop I would make is a slight one from the left as that tree distracts me a bit.

I haven't used that software, Marie, and I always shoot Raw then crop as part of my Raw conversion editing.

But when cropping at a later stage, I simple decide on the aspect ratio which I want and set to that size then drag over the image and move around until I get exactly what I want in the way of composition.

There are different cropping methods with various software programmes. What I usually do, unless I need a specific measurement, is to set the selection rectangle options (fixed aspect and set size ratio) for my required ratio and drag out on the screen. Then move around and crop when I'm happy with the composition. Crop to Selection or something similar from the Menu.

Incidentally, one little tip which I use when deciding between various crop sizes is to hold some pieces of card against my screen to simulate approx cropping options before doing the actual real life crop.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

dNice camera & nice shot.

A few comments:

1. Why did you use Aperture Priority and then set Aperture = F/2.8? The background appears to be relatively soft, is that what you wanted?

2. I interpreted your follow up comments to mean that you thought the camera was not the best camera for the shot that you wanted, but, on the other hand it was the camera that you had at the time so you used it?

If this is correct, I suggest that next time you are in a similar situation where you (maybe) what a longer lens, but you are stuck with a rangefinder type camera and or a PRIME LENS, then use F/8 (or at least F/5.6 for a long shot) to allow a greater DoF for MORE cropping options.

3. Re cropping – I think it lends itself to 2:1 Aspect Ratio. You have already cropped the image to about 7:4, I think it can go slimmer.

4. As a general comment, if you carry the x100s all the time, then I suggest that you keep your options open and think beyond what is just "in the scene" and what "your camera sees when you look through the 23mm Lens".

I think that you might have FRAMED the shot within the PRIME LENS that you had and that limited thinking did not allow you to FRAME the shot for the FINAL IMAGE that you had in your mind’s eye.

It is easy to become frustrated when one is limited by the gear at hand, but it is important to think beyond the gear and keep cognisant of the VISION of the FINAL IMAGE.

Just for example (doesn’t matter if you like it or not, it is just an example of what I might have attempted to achieve if I were there) - I see one VISION of that scene as this:

(rough and quick indicative only)

Stronger blues and greens the little island complete and alone within the scene.

But the point is: to achieve that that FINAL IMAGE, one would have needed to FRAME the whole scene differently and/or also might have needed to move to an entirely different Camera Vantage Point.

So my advice when using that camera for a long shot is to think about the FINAL IMAGE and don't limit yourself to only what you FRAME nicely through that (wonderful) 23mm lens.

WW

Real Name
    Marie

Bill, I do appreciate your full and valued comments on my image particularly as I hadn’t provided any information with it. I spend some months in South Africa and like to visit a local game reserve, not to partake in their game drives but just to enjoy the environment and walk within the permitted boundaries. On that day I spotted a baby hippo (unusual to see one on his own) and I stood at a respectable distance to take his photo. A Ranger approached and said baby was from a pond nearby and allowed me to walk there with her to see where the parents were. I took that photo (along with a couple more - one with F/5.6 aperture but the cormorants had dropped their wings) quite quickly as the Ranger was concerned that baby hippo’s mother could be looking for him and may not like seeing us nearby. As you can imagine, I had no time to compose or indeed look for a different vantage point as I generally do give some thought on what I want to see in the final image.

I very much like your rendition of the image and see what you mean by focusing on the 'vision'. I continue to enjoy the x100s but still have more to learn to perceive it’s full potential and will try to pay more attention to visualising exactly what I want from my final images. Thank you again Bill for your advice and encouragement.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks for the additional details, those fill in a lot of the gaps and provide for a more concise back-story.

I am usually interested in the back-story because pondering for a moment on all that happened allows for the question, "What would I do next time if. . .?" and personally I find that one very good method for my learning.

I expect you already know that I also have an X100s. I think it is a little gem of a camera. I use mine a lot for people and buildings that I find interesting as I walk around. Also, the Fuji has a wonderfully fast and sharp lens, and with the good quality high ISO I really like it for night-time/indoor (low light) Available Light Portraiture. Also it is a really cute and well engineered beautiful object.

I've had a three comments by people just passing by: each mistaking it for a film camera. The best one was a young bloke (about 23~25) who patted me on the back in a congratulatory fashion and exclaimed words to the effect "arhHHH - 'old school!' - good on ya!". . . as he walked away I noticed he was sporting a Pentax K1000 with a 50 Prime. I didn't have the heart to tell him my Fuji was an impersonator.

Have fun with yours.

WW