Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Smartphone App v. Remote Control

Real Name
    Dave

Smartphone App v. Remote Control

Hi,

I have started experimenting using the Panasonic ImageApp app with my gx7 camera, connecting via WiFi.

So I can put the camera on a tripod, and control it remotely. My first intention was to use it simply as a shutter release, but it actually replicates the camera's lcd touch screen on the phone. So I can, for example, touch the phone to set the focus point, and the camera magically adjusts focus to just there. Obviously, I can do all the other stuff, e.g. ISO, aperture in Av mode, that doesn't involve physically moving a dial.

The app seems a bit flakey, though that could be because I haven't used it much. A couple of questions:

Anyone out there doing something similar? Any suggestions or experiences?

If the app is solid, why would you ever want a remote again?

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Smartphone App v. Remote Control

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    If the app is solid, why would you ever want a remote again?
    For use when your smart phone battery dies.

Real Name
    Dave

Never dies, only use it for phone and text . Oh yes, and and as a remote

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I use both the Panasonic app (same as yours) and also use the CamRanger (available for Nikon and Canon only). To some extent they are available on iPad (and iPhone), Android and there is some Windows support.

I will agree that these apps are a bit flakey, but they seem to work for me (eventually). I did some work with my CamRanger a couple of days ago.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I use an iOS app called "qDSLRDashboard" to control my Nikon wirelessly from my iPad mini. I believe it also works for a range Canon and Sony DSLR models. There is also an Android app "on the way".

It gives the full range of controls over the camera and I mainly use it for low light work to get a better view of the Live View screen and for checking focus. It is a bit flaky but does the job of controlling the camera. It's far too slow to use for reviewing images captured by the camera on the ipad.

Dave

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I have recently looked a little at Helicon remote and qDSLRdashboard. Because I am not yet willing to spend any money and have not so far had the necessary spare time, I have not got very far. My immediate aim is to try focus stacking. I would lean towards qDSLR because it works on iOS which suits me better, whereas Helicon remote is for Android.