Thread: Inexpensive Bean Bag Thingy

Real Name
    Richard

Inexpensive Bean Bag Thingy

I am getting back into competitive pistol shooting (which I have not done since my military days) and wanted a bag to rest the barrel of my pistol for sighting in. I bought this from eBay for less than $9 USD. Looking at it, I realized that it could very well be used as a "bean-bag" lens support. Nine bucks is a lot cheaper than most photo bean bags run...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261880647948

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Inexpensive Bean Bag Thingy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am getting back into competitive pistol shooting (which I have not done since my military days) and wanted a bag to rest the barrel of my pistol for sighting in. I bought this from eBay for less than $9 USD.
    Not to mention free shipping!

I also have a couple of revolvers and a .22 Henry lever-action rifle, so it'll be double useful.

I just bought the last one

Real Name
    Dean

Thanks for the tip, Richard, will be helpful for sighting in a couple of revolvers.

Real Name
    Richard

I just had to mention this to a couple of Texans... It wasn't too long ago that I visited the Texas Ranger Museum (very interesting exhibits) in Waco with my brother in law who lives in Georgetown. We ate lunch at the Twin Peaks in Waco - the site of the motorcycle gang shootout last weekend.

It was a different day, of course, but right about the time of the shootout!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thank god for that...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Richard, I thought your state does not issue gun permits easily...Anyway, I think we have two pistol sights here at home. I still have my home-made bean bag though that I take everywhere with that doubles as a heat bag too because it contains cloves inside and can be put in the microwave...

Real Name
    Richard

Izzy,

It is virtually impossible for the average person to get a concealed carry permit here in the State of California. However, except for some laws such as having a maximum magazine capacity of ten rounds (which is no problem for me), I have had no problems owning various pistols for sporting use on various target ranges.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st May 2015 at 05:27 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Richard, I've used one of those bags shooting both lead and photos. One of the mods I did was to attach it to a support for spotting scopes that fits over and clamps to the door window of my car. You can get really close to wildlife in a vehicle but once you step out they're gone. It works very well.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Camera%20Cl...0502_small.jpg

Real Name
    Richard

Great idea Andrew... I was considering how to use this from a car. You solved the problem for me.

Real Name
    Ted

This could be seen as a silly question, but I've never bought a bean bag in my life and this one arrived empty.

So what do you fill it with? The answer "beans" will be considered to be insufficiently pedantic

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    This could be seen as a silly question, but I've never bought a bean bag in my life and this one arrived empty.

So what do you fill it with? The answer "beans" will be considered to be insufficiently pedantic
    Good point. Fresh beans would start rotting quite quickly.

How about dried beans?

Honestly; I remember taking a bean bag apart when I was (much) younger and that is exactly what was in them back then.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th May 2015 at 05:58 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Never looked inside one, but I suspect they're full of something like plastic or polystyrene beads or balls.

I'm sure someone on here must know.

Real Name
    mark

Some have sand in them. I have also seen older ones with used #8 lead shot in them.

Real Name
    Andrew

I thought sand particles may be too small and some could work it's way through the sewn seams. The last thing I want is sand mixing around with my camera or lenses. Mine is full of lead shot. A bit heavy but because it's larger I don't have to worry about any leaking. Also thought of silica get beads because I have so much around but thought it too light. I went with the lead because I wanted something a bit heavier and more stable. I have easy access to lead but those that don't probably won't need a 25lb bag that's available at sporting goods stores. If you know a shotgunner, make a trade for some.

I do have to worry about moisture however if you don't, some of the things readily available at the store include lentils, beans, barley, rice, etc. Polystyrene beads are available at places like Home Depot/KMart?WalMart. Plastic pellets from places like Michaels that use them for stuffing toy animals. Lots of options.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 29th May 2015 at 03:05 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Another filler that won't cause havoc with equipment like sand will if it leaks is pea gravel... I received mine yesterday and it seems well made. I have not filled it yet!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th May 2015 at 04:47 AM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Polystyrene beads, sometimes used as packing for goods, but here can be bought for beanbags of various sizes. Had a lounging version in the family home