Thread: Nikon D800 or D750

Nikon D800 or D750

Hello everyone,

I have been working with a photographer friend of mine, shadowing her. Her main focus is family, newborn, and Sr. portraits which is what I am learning from her, but I would eventually like to get into wedding photography. I am looking to upgrade my camera and I am torn between the D800 and the D750. The D800 has a higher resolution, but the D750 has a higher extended ISO and also shoots faster....not to mention cheaper. Which would be a better purchase for someone looking to do wedding photography?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Nikon D800 or D750

If you are planning to get into wedding photography in a serious way, then you really should be looking for two camera bodies; a main and a backup, should some problem arise with the main. I know a few wedding photographers and the ones that shoot Nikon are using the D4 or the D800 (or the D810 which has replaced it). I know one that uses the D610 as his backup, whereas the others are using a camera that is the same as their main camera. I can't think of anyone who shoots the D750 for weddings (I'm not saying that it isn't done, I just don't know anyone who does).

Higher ISO and higher burst rate would not necessarily be that important to a wedding shooter.

One of the first reviews I read on the D750 was by a wedding photographer that was looking to get a second body/upgrade his equipment. He took his normal kit, I think it was a D300 but could be wrong, and a new D750.
    In the end he was ready to buy 2 D750's since he could get them both for about the same amount as one of the others in contention. He claimed it was lighter, did just as nice a job of capturing the event and made shooting a real pleasure.

Real Name
    John

I have both of those cameras and both are excellent. I am very impressed with the D750 which certainly has all of the ability needed for portrait and wedding photography and is lighter with some performance advantages. IMO it would be a wash between the two for your intended purpose. My suggestion would be to buy the D750 now and then when you are able to get a second camera consider the D810 or another D750. Every day I hear of more and more professional portrait and wedding photographers using the D750. One well known group recently bought six new D750's for their studio work.

John

Real Name
    Trish Berthon-Jones

I am so very relieved to hear the replies, especially Alan's and John's! I also dithered between the D750 and D810 but decided in the end, after much reading of reviews, to settle on the D750. It was only purchased less than two days ago so I haven't really had time to practice yet. Can think about a D810 down the track. From the few shots I've taken so far (it's raining), it looks great.

Good luck with the wedding photography!

Trish

Real Name
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelJade View Post
    Which would be a better purchase for someone looking to do wedding photography?
    Business courses.

I saw this review as well, I thought it was very helpful just hoping to get more opinions.