Thread: Bread and Jam for Frances

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Bread and Jam for Frances

I was in Melbourne last week and managed a little dalliance with street photography. I would love to know what this guy was showing the girl on his phone !

Comments welcome
    Dave

Real Name
    John

Re: Bread and Jam for Frances

Nice, perfect turn of her head.

Beautiful for sure!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks John and James, appreciate you having a look.

Dave

Real Name
    Greg

"Now do you believe me? That bloke over there is taking pictures of us."

Nice shot, Dave, I like the inclusion of the woman in the window but I think the stuff between the umbrella on the left and the frame needs to be removed, or at least toned down significantly.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Great eye! Perfect body language and facial expression of the woman.

I like the simplicity of the image so much that I would do everything to make it even more simple. So, consider cropping on the left to eliminate everything to the left of the umbrella. Then clone to remove the remaining graphic on the panel. Crop at the bottom to eliminate the people's feet and the chair legs. Crop on the right side to exclude everything to the right of the flower arrangement. Perhaps add a very slight vignette to concentrate the eye on the man and woman. If you have now concluded that I tend to like tight crops, you're correct!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for the suggestions Greg and Mike. Here's a new crop. It certainly gives more emphasis to the people and eliminates superfluous detail.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

That works really well for me. I mentioned that I like tight crops, so I would probably crop to eliminate about another half of the panels at the bottom.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the first image better. It has more character than the tighter crop. I am with Greg about toning down the left hand side from the umbrella and also the inclusion of the woman on the window...you can remove the shirt of the guy from the window too to make it cleaner though...I like the expression of the woman subject in the shot. That was great timing. The guy is a look alike of a younger John Travolta. This is one of those photos that is ripe for putting talk bubbles in it...Nice..

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I like the first image better. It has more character than the tighter crop. I am with Greg about toning down the left hand side from the umbrella and also the inclusion of the woman on the window...you can remove the shirt of the guy from the window too to make it cleaner though...I like the expression of the woman subject in the shot. That was great timing. The guy is a look alike of a younger John Travolta. This is one of those photos that is ripe for putting talk bubbles in it...Nice..
    Thanks for your comments Izzie. The timing of the shot was pure luck ! And yes he does look a bit like John Travolta !

Dave