Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: It was only a matter of time...

Real Name
    Richard

It was only a matter of time...

I love the Arca Compatible L bracket concept and consider my purchase of an RRS l bracket quite worth the money I spent.

Recently while perusing eBay for a long Arca Compatible straight bracket (I needed one to balance a long spotting scope on a table-top tripo) at eBay> Camera and Photo> Tripods> Other Parts and Accessories; I noticed that there has been an influx of Arca Compatible L brackets for various cameras at very low prices.

The problem with setting up with an Arca Compatible clamp and L-bracket system has always been the prices of the various L-brackets which were originally offered only by Really Right Stuff (RRS) and Kirk Industries. I purchased the L bracket for my 7D camera, used on eBay but, it was still expensive.

I have not researched the various L brackets available on eBay but, there seem to be models available for most DSLR cameras and might be worth researching if you are in the market for a bracket of this type.

I suspected that it would only be a matter of time before China produced L brackets and sold them at reasonable prices.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: It was only a matter of time...

I splurged on a RRS L-bracket for my 5D3 after trying (and returning) a cheaper one. It's beautifully designed and manufactured.

One problem with some cheap ones is that they are not designed well enough for the specific body. I was recently out shooting with someone who had just purchased a cheap Chinese L-bracket for his new 7D Mark 2. I couldn't figure out why he had the vertical part about maybe 3cm (more than an inch) from the body. It was because the space for the rubber flaps was too small, and he couldn't plug in a remote release if he he positioned the bracket properly. Still, you would think that for high-volume cameras, other vendors would jump in. There may be others that are just fine now.

Straight plates are another matter. I have at least two cheaper brands, Jobu and Induro, and they all work just fine with all of my clamps, which are from Markins, Kirk, Induro, and Hejnar. the only catch is that if you want to use a lever clamp rather than a screw clamp, like the ones offered by RRS or Markins, some brands of plates won't quite fit. In a screw clamp, however, they work just fine. The RRS are nicer--they are designed so that they can't rotate--but the cheap ones are OK.

Just my preferences.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, I need an L bracket for my 6D and the RRS brackets are way outta my price range so I also did a little digging and also asked on another respected forum for suggestions and this bracket came into play
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ate_canon.html
    Lucky someone I no is going states side this week and going to bring me one back
    To get posted direct

It was only a matter of time...

Can't beat it can you?
    Russ

Real Name
    Allan Short

Dan I have both a D7000 and a D600 both have RRS L-brackets, the longer edge of the bracket which fits to the bottom of the camera has 2 centre marks. This is because if you want to use a remote it is attached to the left hand side of the camera and if the bracket is up tight to the side you can not get to it. That being the case that is where the second centre mark comes in you slide the bracket to the left to the centre mark and you can now attach the remote cable. I leave it shifted all the time also makes a great handle to hold the camera with.

Cheers: Allan