Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Nymph

  1. #1
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,218
    Real Name
    Jim

    Nymph

    A Fork Tailed Katydid Nymph.
    Nymph

    It's been cruising my flowers for about a week.I found it on an Asian Lily this morning.

    5DII Sigma 150 f/14 ISO 100 1/125" MR-14ex ringflash.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 11th June 2010 at 12:43 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chandigarh, India
    Posts
    1,541
    Real Name
    Sahil Jain

    Re: Nymph

    A great shot, Jim. Have you used, what is, perhaps, known as Multi Focus shot? Not sure about the term. Love the details and clarity..

  3. #3

    Re: Nymph

    Excellent shot, Jim. Terrific clarity and detail. What lens did you use - the Sigma?

  4. #4
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,218
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    A great shot, Jim. Have you used, what is, perhaps, known as Multi Focus shot? Not sure about the term. Love the details and clarity..
    Thanks,Sahil.This was a single shot.I didn't focus stack,but am going to try some stacks soon.

  5. #5
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,218
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Excellent shot, Jim. Terrific clarity and detail. What lens did you use - the Sigma?
    Thanks,Rob.
    Yep,Sigma 150 macro.I picked up an adapter that allows me to mount the MR-14ex to the Sigma.I have a Canon 100 macro,but like the working distance I get with the extra 50mm on the 150 for insects.

  6. #6

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Thanks,Rob.
    Yep,Sigma 150 macro.I picked up an adapter that allows me to mount the MR-14ex to the Sigma.I have a Canon 100 macro,but like the working distance I get with the extra 50mm on the 150 for insects.
    Looks to be a nice lens. I have the Sigma 105 macro which is very good. Also the 70-200 Sigma, which acts as a macro as well as normal telephoto. I haven't really used it for macro as it weighs too much, three pounds!

    Do you find you get better DOF because you are using 150mm and standing further back, which changes the spatial relationship? Does that make sense?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: Nymph

    Jim,

    This is a lovely shot. The focus and DOF seem to be perfect to me. I noted you used a flash. What will happen if you don't use a flash? I asked this because I don't have a flash.

    Regards,

    Yan

  8. #8
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,218
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Nymph

    I like the Sigma, build quality and IQ are outstanding.
    Is your 70-200 a f/2.8? It's as heavy as my Canon 100-400!

    The Dof difference between the two,I've not considered that.I'll do some test shots and see if there is a difference.
    I've been on macro threads where the pros talk about formulas to figure magnification,DoF etc,but my eyes gloss over and I get a buzzing in my head when I try to follow.

    One more from a different angle.

    Nymph

  9. #9
    Jim B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,218
    Real Name
    Jim

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Jim,

    This is a lovely shot. The focus and DOF seem to be perfect to me. I noted you used a flash. What will happen if you don't use a flash? I asked this because I don't have a flash.

    Regards,

    Yan
    Yan,
    Thanks for the comments.I shoot natural light macro also.The flash makes things a bit easier.It freezes any movement the insect might make.I can shoot at a low ISO.Because I was shooting at f/14 to get good DoF, if I didn't use a flash the ISO would have been up around 400.
    With flash I have more control over the lighting.
    If you are going to shoot natural light,make sure there's plenty of it unless you shoot close to wide open aperture. The DoF gets very thin at large apertures.

  10. #10
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    422
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Nymph

    Great Shot. Nice detail. Fly tiers around the world would be envious

  11. #11
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Nymph

    Apart from the purely technical proficiency of sharpness and good depth of feel, what I love about this image are the totally delicious colours. That pink! That green! The linking browns! Wunderbar!

    Edit: Depth of feel! What a nana. Depth of field!

  12. #12

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Is your 70-200 a f/2.8? It's as heavy as my Canon 100-400!
    Yes, f/2.8, and it produces a nice bokeh. I think it's so heavy because it's 77mm diameter on the lens.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    The Dof difference between the two,I've not considered that.I'll do some test shots and see if there is a difference.
    Typically, if you stand with someone 10ft in front of you, and another person 10ft beheind him, and use f/4, the first person will be in focus, and the second will be OOF slightly. If you move closer to the first, the second will become more OOF. But I'm never sure how much difference that makes with close-ups/macros, because the relative differences are so small. Colin might know?

    Second shot is excellent, perhaps even better. A very nice composition too.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Yes, f/2.8, and it produces a nice bokeh. I think it's so heavy because it's 77mm diameter on the lens.



    Typically, if you stand with someone 10ft in front of you, and another person 10ft beheind him, and use f/4, the first person will be in focus, and the second will be OOF slightly. If you move closer to the first, the second will become more OOF. But I'm never sure how much difference that makes with close-ups/macros, because the relative differences are so small. Colin might know?
    I'm not sure I understand the question - but with Macro you usually have to shoot stopped down anyway (and DoF is usually a challenge).

  14. #14
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,059
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Apart from the purely technical proficiency of sharpness and good depth of feel, what I love about this image are the totally delicious colours. That pink! That green! The linking browns! Wunderbar!

    Edit: Depth of feel! What a nana. Depth of field!
    Hi Kit,

    I agree about the colours, that struck me too. UK bugs seem to be black, and usually found on dull green leaves

    Two very nice shots Jim

    btw Kit, I loved the 'depth of feel', so glad you left it in with the hilarious follow up comment - it made my afternoon (in a nice way)

    Thanks,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st May 2010 at 02:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,059
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Typically, if you stand with someone 10ft in front of you, and another person 10ft beheind him, and use f/4, the first person will be in focus, and the second will be OOF slightly. If you move closer to the first, the second will become more OOF. But I'm never sure how much difference that makes with close-ups/macros, because the relative differences are so small. Colin might know?
    Hi Rob,

    I agree with Colin, you're so strectched getting the nose and ears (let alone tail) of the first bug sharp and within DoF that anything behind is just gonna be a blur whatever aperture you use - well certainly when you approach 1/2 life size and greater.

    I used your theory above when positioning a bird table though, to get the background nicely soft.

    Cheers,

  16. #16

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question - but with Macro you usually have to shoot stopped down anyway (and DoF is usually a challenge).
    I thinl the question was how much more depth of field do you get using a 150mm macro lens at say, 2ft, than you would using a 60mm at 1ft (or whatever the required distance was to fill the frame the same amount). For example, in shot #2 above the back leg is starting to go out of focus. If you used a 300mm macro (from further back) would you have at least decreased that OOF effect?

  17. #17
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,059
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Nymph

    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I thinl the question was how much more depth of field do you get using a 150mm macro lens at say, 2ft, than you would using a 60mm at 1ft (or whatever the required distance was to fill the frame the same amount). For example, in shot #2 above the back leg is starting to go out of focus. If you used a 300mm macro (from further back) would you have at least decreased that OOF effect?
    Whoah, too difficult (also not what you said <wink>), isn't that what those DoF calculator thingys are for?

    EDIT, they don't work to well close up and getting the distance appropriate for the same subject size is tricky too!
    Investigating further ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •